Against the Giants 5e PBP (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
This may be insane of me, but I'm so happy with the response, that I don't want to turn anyone away. I've already done much of the prep-work, so I don't think that it would be too much work if I simply....

RUN TWO GROUPS (of five).

This will be two different realities (as opposed to, say, running groups that hit the place from the front and back, as I did years ago in Vault of the Dracolich). So we'll have to form two fully-functioning parties. We'll make characters, and then see who fits best in what group.

I don't have much more notes for you on PC-building rules, other than to say, "Please don't make characters that have a lot of fiddly tracking bits, complicated spells, OP combos, or other things that will grind the game down." (As to what those might be, I'll leave it up to your judgement. Just remember that PBP can be slow, and a lot of work for the DM, so try not to make it slower/more work. THANKS!)

Oh, and an in-story note: I imagine the kingdom to be mostly human. While I'm technically allowing you to play ANY race-class combo you'd like, I'd probably rather that the parties don't wind up too much a bunch of weirdos or mutant animals. (A few are fine! In fact, I want a few! It would just be weird if it was the whole party!)

Also, feel free to go hogwild with re-skinning. Mechanically, keep it simple (no houserules or weird corner-cases), but if you want to play a Minotaur Barbarian with the Charger feat, and make up a Rhinoceros-headed person to explain it's story, you do that.

The setting will evolve (though not revolve) around your characters.

Oh! One more thing: Ninth level is pretty high, and I imagine this to be a relatively low-success-rate setting (life is hard, no one is getting ahead). So, you're pretty special people. Like, probably pretty well known.

Also: You don't have to come up with long back-stories (unless you love to do so, then you do you). You'll probably die anway. Just make a fun character with some broad-stroke ideas as to who you are and why you're helping out, and you can figure out the rest as we go along. I'm pretty happy with making some stuff up as we go. (Also, I'm fine with leaving stuff that doesn't matter... not mattering.)

Thanks for the great response! Let's get some character ideas flowing!

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
That's awesome Fitz, thanks for accommodating. I can (and have) run pretty much anything - whatever either party needs the most.

In terms of background personality, I'll probably go with a human that is highly superstitious, finding omens in pretty much everything, and obsessed with finding good luck charms and other trinkets. Giants are a very, very bad omen...

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Seems fair.

As for character, I usually end up playing "martial characters", like fighters, rogues and barbarians, but I can play pretty much anything as well. I often just play something that fits with what other people are doing when I get a chance to play.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If anyone wants to know if we are using Tasha's "floating ASIs" (Or Monsters of the Multiverse if you have it) the answer is yes. However, if you want to make, for example, a Dwarf that has her +2 in Dex, then I would be happy if you made up an excuse - Call her a "Plains Dwarf" that grew up in a nomadic horse-breeding dwarf clan that roamed the hills on pony-back. She was trained to stay in the saddle from babehood.

Again, doesn't have to be much, just let's have fun with it.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
At this point, I am probably going to go with an expansion of a concept I was working on in an earlier auction thread- a Reborn (from Van Richten ...) who uses firearms. If that's okay with you, @FitzTheRuke (especially the firearms bit).

Mostly because I have a concept, and because I'm noodling around with the Tasha's gunner feat and the DMG firearm table. Let me know if that's okay or if you need to kibosh on it before I start messing with the build.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases