Against the Giants 5e PBP (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
3 or 4.

I've noticed that when the game is going a little faster, I'm checking more regularly, writing more, and thinking more.

When there are longer pauses, I get out of the habit of thinking about the game and the character.

That's what happens to me, too. The slower it gets, the slower it gets, and the longer gap between posts, the longer it takes me to DO posts (as I have to spend more time figuring out where we were and what was going on). I probably make more mistakes too.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
3 or 4.

There is also the issue that we keep fighting giants and their minions. Shocking, I know. But that has made it feel more repetitive which the slowness makes worse, as we are not moving on to other things.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There is also the issue that we keep fighting giants and their minions. Shocking, I know. But that has made it feel more repetitive which the slowness makes worse, as we are not moving on to other things.
It's a tough part about PBP: In a F2F game, the group might quickly do some OOC back-and-forth to come up with a plan that is an alternative to fighting, but that's MUCH harder to accomplish in PBP. It's far easier to kick in the doors and fight whatever you find. While that's a common playstyle, even the most combat-heavy gamers will go with a clever alternative when it's presented.

At any rate, giants and their minions, while not the only thing you'll find in the steading, are very common. However, you don't always need to fight them. I'll let you in on a "secret" when it comes to my DMing - every single NPC has their own agenda. All of them. (Some aren't very complicated, though!)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
It's a 2 for me. That way I don't have to backtrack and describe what my character has been doing since the time before last the DM posted. ☺️ Of course, I'll be happy either way, but no pressure from me to pick up the pace.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm a 3. I just want to play, I don't care about the pacing... except that it seems that when it has lost inertia that people check and reply slower, and then the whole thing continues to spiral slower. I'd like to get back to a more regular schedule even if it's not everyday.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
For the next five weeks, I have nearly 3 hours to myself every weekday morning. (My wife has started her practicum, which starts very early.)

Everyone but me is out of the house bright and early and I have plenty of time to post!

SO... if you all make a concentrated effort to post a little quicker than we've done lately, I will be able to keep up with you. Then perhaps we can push these games forward a little ways.

It's no real pressure. Just keep it in mind and see what you can do to check in more often than you have.

Remove ads