• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's 4e Game IC: Ch 1 Sedition

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Yo, lazy spirits, open the door. I demand it by my superior intellect!" Erik starts to coerce the spirits...
Erik's words seem to bring out something wrathful in whatever is being held in the door. A vague misty form lashes out and seizes hold of Erik. He feels icy tendrils wrapped around him for a moment, but then the thing in shunted back into the door. He feels whatever it was would have liked to hold on a bit longer, but something forced it back. (Erik loses one healing surge.)
"Spirits my balls." says Petron, as he tries again to force the door open.
Petron puts his shoulder into it and plows against the door with all his might. When he does this, two things happen. First of all, the door splits. A lengthy crack winds its way from floor to ceiling. It is only a narrow crack, but clearly a sign that the door is weakening. The second thing that occurs is a brief flash over the door, it resembles a plane of light shielding the door. Clearly brawn alone will not be enough to open this door.
Lia carefully observes the attempts to move the door by force and peruasion, trying to see if she can learn anything further.
Unfortunately, Lia cannot discern anything new. She's noticed all the same things the others have noticed, yet she simply feels that she is missing something.
GM: Petron, Erik, and Krawlinstar are up again. 7 successes and 3 failures.

wolfattack

First Post
''Whatever force is behind this door,calm down.i'm a follower of Pelor,i don't want to fight you.no one here wants. we came in peace,despite what my brute friend is doing whit this door.and the mage,he just can't understand this. we only attacked the undead before because we don't have any other choice.let's talk,mysterious spirit.''

Krawlisntar says,attempting to avoid unnecessary battles.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Erik

Shaken from the spirits' assault, Erik tries the erect an arcane barrier around himself and the others to avoid further attacks.

[sblock=OOC]
hope you allow another arcana roll. If not, please subtract 2 from the roll for an insight check to discern the spirits' intention / wishes, so we know what we can offer.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Erik Apeldan
Perception: 17 Insight: 17 Normal Vision
AC 17 Fortitude 13 Reflex 15 Will 15
Initiative: +1
Hit Points: 24 / 24 Bloodied: 12
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist:
Saving Throw: -
Milestones: 1.5
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:6 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Stoneblood, Thunderwave
Encounter Powers: Staff of Defense, Leaden Transmutation
Daily Powers: Slimy Transmutation

Condition:

XP: 375
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
''Whatever force is behind this door,calm down.i'm a follower of Pelor,i don't want to fight you.no one here wants. we came in peace,despite what my brute friend is doing whit this door.and the mage,he just can't understand this. we only attacked the undead before because we don't have any other choice.let's talk,mysterious spirit.''
At Krawlinstar's gentle and amicable words, he feels a mysterious spiritual force filling his body. You see nothing, but everyone can hear a faint whisper.

"Release..." it drones on softly and yet somehow desperately.

"Release...me."
GM: You may now use Religion to perform a prayer of unbinding or Arcana to perform an arcane spell of unbinding (difficult checks). History might also be used to determine the nature of this entity.

Walking Dad, I'll allow another Arcana check since you've come up with an original use for it in this case.
Shaken from the spirits' assault, Erik tries the erect an arcane barrier around himself and the others to avoid further attacks.
Erik intones some arcane words and inscribes a simple circle of protection upon the floor. He believes this will provide a protective ward upon the party. Interestingly enough, he believes the same circle might provide helpful with driving the entity within the door out.
GM: You have 9 successes and 3 failures. Just one more! Voda Vosa, see if Petron can come up with something.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Petron scratches his head, tries to think about something, and then gives Erik an absent minded slap in the back of the head. "Erik, don'tya remember t'at ol' story papa used to told us about the ghosts of the ol' cathedral?"

Using aid another History.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
OOC: If understand the way airwalkrr is doing things, Lia doesn't necessarily have to go next, and since if she succeeded -- presumably via Dungeoneering or Perception, because I can't see how to use any of the other skills she's good at -- it would waste Petron's Aid Another. So I'm going to hold off acting for a bit.

Walking Dad

First Post
Erik

"Of course I remember. I'm the one with the brains, you the one with the brawns. But it was more a church than a cathedral..." Erik replies to his brother.

[sblock=OOC]
roll doesn't include possible bonus from VV's check. (His DC was 11 I think)
(Rules Compendium p 128)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Erik Apeldan
Perception: 17 Insight: 17 Normal Vision
AC 17 Fortitude 13 Reflex 15 Will 15
Initiative: +1
Hit Points: 24 / 24 Bloodied: 12
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist:
Saving Throw: -
Milestones: 1.5
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:6 Surges per day: 7 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Stoneblood, Thunderwave
Encounter Powers: Staff of Defense, Leaden Transmutation
Daily Powers: Slimy Transmutation

Condition:

XP: 375
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
GM: Thanks for the reminder, Walking Dad. I know the aid another DC errata regarding skill checks though. However, I don't plan to use the penalty for failure rules. That just seems to discourage players from aiding each other. Also, I think the DC for aiding a 1st-level character ought to be 10, since you generally round down in D&D.
"Of course I remember. I'm the one with the brains, you the one with the brawns. But it was more a church than a cathedral..." Erik replies to his brother.
Erik finally has all the pieces of the puzzle and a solution forms in his head. Spirit walls, a church of the Raven Queen, a barrier below, it finally makes sense. This particular spirit wall was called into existence when the place was converted from a church into an administrative building. It's actually a local legend, but it seems at the time the only individual from the church of the Raven Queen who opposed the conversion was a priest named Vito. He argued that such a desecration would awaken some of the more turbulent souls interred beneath and that they would rise and wreak havoc upon the town. Therefore, Vito hired dwarven architects to erect this barrier and then, in a surprising move, enacted a ritual that actually bound his own soul into the door to prevent any wayward undead to pass through. The ritual killed him, but actually performed exactly as intended. You believe that Vito can be convinced to pass on if he is informed that the restless dead have already been destroyed.

Erik announces this to the spirit within the door and no sooner has he done this than you all begin to feel a faint rumble. The door flashes with bright light and a vague spirit form appears before you. It looks like a wizened old man in the raiment of a Raven Queen priest. As this happens, the shimmering field of energy upon the door dissipates, and the door itself falls inward to a room that you can only imagine is a basement. Here and there you see barrels and crates stacked upon each other and cub-holes line the walls which are filled with numerous scrolls.
GM: You all earn 100 XP for getting past the door. Now you have the opportunity to speak with the spirit of Vito.
"Thank you for releasing me from my eternal torment," the spirit whispers. "I am relieved that the restless souls no longer pose a danger to those above. I shall remain to answer your questions as best I can, but I fear I am not long for this world. Even now I feel myself drawn to a world beyond."

wolfattack

First Post
''Let's make this quickly then my friend.what lies ahead of us?we din't expected undeads and magical barries here.Also,there is any chance that you have seen a female elf around here?''

Krawlinstar gives the spirit a description of Mooneyes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads