D&D 5E Bloodied Condition in 5e:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
It's not "many" at all. The concept is there, but I don't know if it was there much at the beginning of 5e. I seem to recall seeing it more often in later monster books.
I don't have an exact list, but it is, in fact "many", and some of those "many" were in the Monster Manual IIRC.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
And great fun for others!
Agreed. It hasn't stopped Savage Worlds from being mega-popular, for example.

And even I don't mind death spirals if they're nonlethal. The Condition Track in Star Wars Saga Edition is basically a death spiral, for example, and it's one of the best parts of the system IMHO.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I don't think this is the best use of the Bloodied keyword. I would go back to 4e where certain abilities are triggered at bloodied. This was especially fun for monsters when Reactions trigger and they get tougher in the middle of a fight.
Yes, but that requires more tinkering. A condition can be inserted pretty easily, it is just the kickstarter version is better than mine for the general community

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't roll for morale, but I do have creatures logically retreat if the odds are stacked against them. That said, I DO wish the monster stat blocks had a simple morale # to indicate their propensity to fight to the death or not. (Coward - Fearless)
That works well too. Personally I like the roll because it gives me something I can fiddle with - giving advantage when they’re in a large group and/or their superior officer is present for example, or disadvantage if they’re outnumbered, or adjusting the DC to account for other factors. Sometimes I’ll have the monsters retreat without a roll or stand their ground despite being bloodied, and other times I’ll have a monster’s reaction to a failed morale save be to surrender, or berserk or something rather than always retreat (also retreat can be either a tactical withdrawal or an outright panicked flight, depending on the Monster and the situation.)

Nebulous

Legend
Yes, but that requires more tinkering. A condition can be inserted pretty easily, it is just the kickstarter version is better than mine for the general community

Yes, that would require a substantial rewriting - or addition to - existing material. Fortunately that's also easy for a DM to add. For monsters anyway.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Agreed. It hasn't stopped Savage Worlds from being mega-popular, for example.

Well... perhaps we need to define "mega-popular". If Savage Worlds is "mega-popular", then what the heck is 5e? Giga-popular? Peta-popular? Yotta-popular?

Or, are we really being just a tad hyperbolic on the popularity of this particular feature?

And even I don't mind death spirals if they're nonlethal.

Um... it is a DEATH spiral.

Remove ads