Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'll have a better idea once Fitz is able to respond to my questions. I always try to align my characters to the story of the adventures, so knowing the set-up would be very helpful.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'll have a better idea once Fitz is able to respond to my questions. I always try to align my characters to the story of the adventures, so knowing the set-up would be very helpful.

I hadn't realised that I hadn't answered you. I don't want to get too spoilery on the adventure at this stage, but overall yes, absolutely, I like to have characters have various personal reasons for being involved in the adventure (though I am also fine with none, if the player doesn't care to do it).

Let's say this: There is a mining consortium from Baldur's Gate who is interested in finding out what happened to this missing mining town (gone for 70 years or so) and wants to know if the mine is still viable. You can be an agent of theirs. Alternately, you could have been evacuated from the town as a child and never saw your family again. Recently half-remembered memories of that time have motivated you to return. Or BOTH!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Seeing as how we have more than a few unfinalized characters right now, I went ahead with something:

Argenti, Genasi Warlock.
I like it!

I generally (in particular in PBP) don't spend much time thinking about Warlock's patrons - I usually leave it as a deal that the Warlock made in their past, that doesn't factor in to the current adventure. But I'm kind of motivated to make a Genie here that regularly talks to you. Feel free to let me know if you have any preferences when it comes to that.

Also, were you always a Genasi, or were you born human and are a Genasi now because of your pact?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The original idea would be that the Genie was related to the Genasi, mother and daughter. But that that might be too much of a direct link in retrospect. Still, having the Genie as an ancestral matriarch (a Grandmother, with perhaps a few "greats" tossed in) sounds like fun.

As for physical changes due to the pact, you can't really see from that micro-mugshot, but I did envision the character's eye's as being replaced with gemstones for magical purposes. So, depending on how far back the ancestry would trace, being born (mostly) human is a possibility.

Argenti screenshot (1).png

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I hadn't realised that I hadn't answered you. I don't want to get too spoilery on the adventure at this stage, but overall yes, absolutely, I like to have characters have various personal reasons for being involved in the adventure (though I am also fine with none, if the player doesn't care to do it).

Let's say this: There is a mining consortium from Baldur's Gate who is interested in finding out what happened to this missing mining town (gone for 70 years or so) and wants to know if the mine is still viable. You can be an agent of theirs. Alternately, you could have been evacuated from the town as a child and never saw your family again. Recently half-remembered memories of that time have motivated you to return. Or BOTH!
No worries sir! Thanks for the info! What you have set up works great for me. I think if the mining town disappearance was 70 years prior to the adventure, then I'll definitely go Rogue Inquisitive for the BG mining consortium as you suggested. I had originally thought dwarf (when I thought the disappearance was more recent)... but in this case I think I'll probably go Human Rogue Inquisitive instead.

Let me set him up in D&DBeyond and I'll link when I'm done. Thanks!!!!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The original idea would be that the Genie was related to the Genasi, mother and daughter. But that that might be too much of a direct link in retrospect. Still, having the Genie as an ancestral matriarch (a Grandmother, with perhaps a few "greats" tossed in) sounds like fun.

As for physical changes due to the pact, you can't really see from that micro-mugshot, but I did envision the character's eye's as being replaced with gemstones for magical purposes. So, depending on how far back the ancestry would trace, being born (mostly) human is a possibility.

Actually, I like the idea of her being your great (great great...) grandmother, and the line has been Genasi since she loved a human (long gone, I'm afraid). Your pact would be family loyalty - you are the one entrusted with the family's book of shadows (though I think "shadows" is wrong in this case - it should be something else.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases