D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

JohnSnow

Hero
I believe that's Tom Morello, who plays in Joe Manganiello's D&D game apparently

I’ve heard Morello is in the movie, but he’s not Lord Neverember. The latter is played by actor Richard Croxford, who has played Doctor Strange in a couple spoof films.

Marc Radle

Legend
I believe that's Tom Morello, who plays in Joe Manganiello's D&D game apparently

Sorry, no - I know who Tom Morello is (both as a guitar great and as part of Joe’s gaming group)

Are we thinking THAT was who the directors meant?

I guess when they said famous / well-known gamer, I thought they meant more like an Ed Greenwood, or Gary Gygax if he were still alive - more of a D&D luminary and less a celeb that plays D&D

Also,I just checked and he’s not credited as “Elminster,” but merely “Ethereal Plane Sorcerer,” so I wonder if he’s supposed to be a different ancestor of Simon’s. 🤔
That's what I assumed because Simon didn't say "Yo it's my ancestor Elminister giving me trouble", but referred to "Aumar" (possibly "an Aumar"), which is his (Simon and Elminster's) surname. He did have Elminister's sigil but again that might just be an Aumar thing.

Re: Old white dudes, well, there's always Ed Greenwood - he's only 63 last I checked, which is almost horrifyingly young compared to what I assumed. I suspect he may be a little too naughty for them to want to draw attention to though - even though AFAIK it's always been in a progressive way (but er... still more progressive than society allows given how found he is of polyamory - at least in his art).

Emrico

Adventurer
One thing I like about the movie? It's bright. I mean, literally. The scenes are actually well lit. It's not a bunch of people in dark brown or black fighting in dimly lit rooms where it's one shadowy blob fighting another shadowy blob. The city, instead of being under a constant black cloud, is actually bright and sunny. Most of the scenes are in pretty nice weather for a change. Even the Underdark stuff was still really well lit.

It was a VERY refreshing change.
Oh yes! 1000 times this! It was so nice to not be struggling to see what was going on on-screen. Marvel and DC could both take a big lesson from this.

And she's a Cheater McCheaterface. Meteor Swarm and Time Stop in the same 5e fight. with only 1 slot!
Except she's an NPC and PC rules don't necessarily apply, right?

After the movie I overheard some 13-14 year old kids arguing about that scene.

Kid#1: "Gelatinous Cubes have a move of 5 and that one stayed still."
Kid#2: "Yeah. They don't move very fast. They rely on prey walking into them."
Kid#1: "Yeah. They eat the dumb adventurers, which doesn't happy very often. That's why most of them starve to death."
Love this!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Except she's an NPC and PC rules don't necessarily apply, right?
That's true enough. That druid was a PC, though, and she had to be 20th level to change as often as she did, yet really didn't do much in the way of spellcasting. I really wouldn't attach too much of the rules to the movie. They did what they did without much regard for the rules. They used names of spells, monsters and abilities, but took a lot of liberties with them.
Love this!
So did we. I told my group(we went to the movie together) the story when I got out of the restroom. I had to work hard not to laugh when the one kid was explaining how most gelatinous cubes starved to death.

Remove ads