D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

Deadstop

Explorer
It amused me that during the whole “moviegoers are heroes” thing, Sophia Lillis and Justice Smith are just smiling uncomfortably and not saying anything. Obviously they just had a bigger main cast than the bit was scripted for, but I like to imagine them being lIke, “Okay, I’ll sit there, but I’m not saying any of the stupid hero stuff.”

Interesting. I might just have to look more into Dungeon World, as I didn't know it was more loose with resource management stuff.
Yeah it is. Wildshape for Druids is at-will, and it's their main deal, and that's absolutely amazing in actual play. Spellcasters roll when they use a spell and if they succeed they don't lose use of it, so can potentially cast repeatedly.

I'm a sicko because what I'd really like a much crunchier Dungeon World, with the basic DW mechanical approach but taking ideas from 4E and especially 5E, whereas virtually all PtbA people are trying to make it much lighter DW. Ain't no-one interested in making what I want though and I don't feel competent enough to do it myself.

p_johnston

Adventurer
I may write a more detailed break down of my thoughts later but overall the movie was a great D&D movie because it felt like D&D campaign. Like i could almost see in my head the group around the table joking and talking as the scenes happened.

The first scene demonstrates it beautifully with them dragging the aracockra out the window as the man goes "but we approved your pardon" my group all just went "yep that tracks". I could see the scene as the DM goes "ok well Jonathon walks in after your speech. Roll a persu" and getting cut off by "we tackle jonathon out the window."

JohnSnow

Hero
Extra comment on the appearance of Elminster, I suspect it was done literally just to let Elminster stand out. From Odin to Merlin to Gandalf to Dumbledore, there’s just has wayyyyy too many Wizards whose look is “old white dude with a long beard,” that 1) it has become a bit of a cliche, and 2) we’re running out of old white British dudes who haven’t already done it.

Also,I just checked and he’s not credited as “Elminster,” but merely “Ethereal Plane Sorcerer,” so I wonder if he’s supposed to be a different ancestor of Simon’s. 🤔

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
CR actually confirmed last week that they didn't have cameos (though they did go to the premier last week). That said, Simon's 'Fresh Cut Grass' cantrip was almost certainly a nod to CR. Also found it interesting that the non-ressurection dagger in the film mirrors the same ones used by the bad guys in CR C3. Probably a coincidence (as it's a pretty good plot device) but maybe Mercer got to read the script a few years ago when he was planning the new campaign and borrowed it?
Don't forget Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine is briefly in one of the arena crowd scenes (my son spotted him right away)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Did I just miss it or did the scene from the trailers where Holga and Edgin talk about discussing something over a drink get cut from the film?
Depends, there was a scene in a random tavern, where the bartender says "And here's a drink for your wife" and Holga and Edgin both react violently and hilariously at the implication that they are romantically entangled "Your lips are too big!" exclaims Holga. It was quite funny i thought

There's also another scene in a tavern where Doric asks Edgin what he brings to the table, that scene was in many of the trailers

[Edit:] Oh, I remember which trailer scene you are referring too. Agree that no that did not show up in the movie I saw in the theater

Marc Radle

Legend
Anyone figure out who the well know gamer (or however it was phrased) cameo was?

Was the actor playing Lord Neverember when he woke up at the end of the film anyone (other than just an actor I mean)?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Anyone figure out who the well know gamer (or however it was phrased) cameo was?

Was the actor playing Lord Neverember when he woke up at the end of the film anyone (other than just an actor I mean)?
I believe that's Tom Morello, who plays in Joe Manganiello's D&D game apparently

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I may need to go see the movie again JUST to get a photo of that moment (very brief) where he shows up during one of the arena crowd scenes, since I don't see any on the interwebs yet

Here's what he looks like when he's not in D&D movies
1680459310961.png

Remove ads