[D20 CoC] Beyond the Mountains of Madness - Chapter 1; Recruiting Alternate Players

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
[George Barrow said], 'I'm quite worried about the the padding of the glass equipment''i think i must let Dr. Moore set a buying order for a lot of hay''that man must hate me I have been asking him for so many little things these last days' he pats the dog and gives it a peace of meat from a little bucket Øyvind always have near to reward good behavior of the dogs.
Although Professor Moore initially seemed frustrated at George's many requests for additional equipment and supplies, within a day or two he began to compliment George on his attention to detail. In fact, George then began to receive requests from Moore to examine other equipment, such as the radio gear, so that he could assure himself that they would be best prepared for the voyage ahead.

Drowned Hero said:
[Øyvind said to George] 'Ive been looking at the dogs lately and i think i have picked my crew of dogs' 'I'm taking eight and designating the other lead dogs for the rest of the spans' he takes the dogs to the new cage and lock her in. He starts to carve the names of the dogs he wants...
The cages had arrived in pieces, so Øyvind had to locate some carpentry tools to assemble them. Unfortunately, you soon discovered that the cages were each two inches too wide to fit between the metal bars of the frame that was intended to hold them. When you brought this problem to Dr. Moore's attention, he blinked once, frowned, and sighed, then said, "Then I suppose you'll have to fix them. Go find Fiskarson, the other dog man, and see what he thinks."

Drowned Hero said:
I must get of this floating thing to get me a real meal and real entertainment
[OOC - Actually, at this point in the adventure, everyone is still sleeping in rooms at the Amherst Hotel. You get up every morning and attend a group breakfast and meeting at the hotel, then take cabs or walk to the docks to begin your work each day to prepare the ship. At night, everyone returns to the hotel.]

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Martin arrives at the Gabrielle and immediately sets to work on his manifest list. Each item that he physically sees and touches, he crosses off. When he finishes and comes up from the 'tween, he is drenched in sweat.

OOC: What is still missing or unaccounted for on my manifest?

Last edited:

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
George walks away from Øyvind and bumbs into Dr.Moore that is holding a piece of paper in his hand. ... 'By the way Dr' 'I just saw Øyvind and he wonders how many span he is to organize' 'just take not Dr. and think on it later when you got more time.
Dr. Moore looks puzzled for a moment, then says, "I'm not sure what you mean by "span", but if you're asking how many sled dogs Øyvind would need to organize, then the answer is simple. He just needs to select his own dogs that would pull his own sled. Since Øyvind is very experienced with these sorts of expeditions, he should also get to know the other dog wranglers, Enke Fiskarson and Olav Snabjorn. I'm sure that they'll welcome Øyvind and will benefit from his help."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job.

Job

First Post
Morpheus said:
Martin arrives at the Gabrielle and immediately sets to work on his manifest list. Each item that he physically sees and touches, he crosses off. When he finishes and comes up from the 'tween, he is drenched in sweat.
At the end of the day, Pierce Albemarle was redfaced and looked on the verge of collapsing from having followed Martin around. Dr. Moore greeted the two with a smile, saying "Excellent work, gentlemen! I'm impressed with your dedication to seeing the job through to completion. Mr. Albemarle, you look a bit exhausted and may want to check in with Doctor Greene before returning to the hotel."

Morpheus said:
OOC: What is still missing or unaccounted for on my manifest?
[OOC - Morpheus, you have either found every item on your manifest or have arranged for replacing those that were missing!]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Job

First Post
Job said:
Early in the morning, sometime before sunrise during the morning of September 4th, you're awakened from sleep in your room at the Amherst Hotel by a loud pounding out in the hallway. You then recognize Starkweather's voice (though it has a frenzied edge that you've never heard before) in the hall as he shouts "Moore! Blast you, man, I want you awake! Moore!"

Opening your door a crack to look out into the hall, you see James Starkweather in a robe and pajamas, standing before the door to Moore's room. His hair is disheveled and he is unshaven. One fist beats furiously on Moore's door while a newspaper is crushed in the other.
You have never seen James Starkweather like this and have been obviously stunned into inaction... ;)

After a moment, Starkweather gives up his pounding and slams against Moore's door, bursting it open with a loud crash and storms inside. From your vantage point in the doorway of your room, you hear bellows from James Starkweather accompanied by sounds of Dr. Moore scrambling inside his room.

"It's her, Moore! All the time it was her! I should have known! Who else could it have been? The conniving witch! I should have suspected her hand in things from the beginning! Blast it, Moore, listen to me! How else could she stop me? Who else would have taken our sour cream and sleds and boards? Who else could've switched those wrenches and hidden Martin's photography supplies? Who else has the money to spy on us? To throw things in our way? Ruin our goods! Sabotage the dog cages! Delay our trains! Poison the minds of trusted employees? To bribe, to steal, to throw barricades before us for her own spiteful little reasons!

"I won't allow it, Moore! Not this time! She won't get the upper hand this time! I'll prove to everyone that she's nothing more than a--"

Starkweather stopped in mid-sentence. "Advance the schedule, Moore! We're leaving on the 9th. The 9th, Moore! See to it!

"And Moore ... get me a woman!"

Starkweather storms out through the door, brushing roughly past onlookers and, ignoring everyone, stomping up the stairs and disappearing into his room.

Job (the tortured one).

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Job said:
[OOC - Morpheus, you have either found every item on your manifest or have arranged for replacing those that were missing!]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Excellent!

Drowned Hero

First Post
Job said:
Dr. Moore looks puzzled for a moment, then says, "I'm not sure what you mean by "span", but if you're asking how many sled dogs Øyvind would need to organize, then the answer is simple. He just needs to select his own dogs that would pull his own sled. Since Øyvind is very experienced with these sorts of expeditions, he should also get to know the other dog wranglers, Enke Fiskarson and Olav Snabjorn. I'm sure that they'll welcome Øyvind and will benefit from his help."

Job.

'Ah Span' 'it's just another word for sled' 'Yes yes Enke and Olav has been great help with the fixing of cages had never thought that those two could be so skillfull with tools' 'we got the cages fixed in no time' 'we where thinking on hitting the nighclubbs next weekend to know each other a bit better'

[sblock] are Enke and Olav norwegians? And sorry aboout the span ting, i dont know wy i thought that was synonym with dog sled :eek:[/sblock]

Job said:
You have never seen James Starkweather like this and have been obviously stunned into inaction... ;)

After a moment, Starkweather gives up his pounding and slams against Moore's door, bursting it open with a loud crash and storms inside. From your vantage point in the doorway of your room, you hear bellows from James Starkweather accompanied by sounds of Dr. Moore scrambling inside his room.

"It's her, Moore! All the time it was her! I should have known! Who else could it have been? The conniving witch! I should have suspected her hand in things from the beginning! Blast it, Moore, listen to me! How else could she stop me? Who else would have taken our sour cream and sleds and boards? Who else could've switched those wrenches and hidden Martin's photography supplies? Who else has the money to spy on us? To throw things in our way? Ruin our goods! Sabotage the dog cages! Delay our trains! Poison the minds of trusted employees? To bribe, to steal, to throw barricades before us for her own spiteful little reasons!

"I won't allow it, Moore! Not this time! She won't get the upper hand this time! I'll prove to everyone that she's nothing more than a--"

Starkweather stopped in mid-sentence. "Advance the schedule, Moore! We're leaving on the 9th. The 9th, Moore! See to it!

Starkweather storms out through the door, brushing roughly past onlookers and, ignoring everyone, stomping up the stairs and disappearing into his room.

Job (the tortured one).

'wow! He is really pist off!' Øyvind stands in the door opening in his underwear scratching his head 'sour cream thief, photoghraphy stealer, spy, dog cages sabotage .... what in earth is the man talking about' he says out loud looking at Martin, George and the others that stands in the hallway. He walk to the room to Dr.Moore 'Hey dock... what was all that about? Are we being sabotaged by some woman? Who is this lady? And what can i do to help?'

Drowned Hero

First Post
Job said:

Job (the tortured one).

George awakenes with all the fuzz from Dr. Moore's room and sits up in the bed. After getting his slippers and his dressing gown he puts on his glasses and peeks out of the room

Drowned Hero said:
'wow! He is really pist off!' Øyvind stands in the door opening in his underwear scratching his head 'sour cream thief, photography stealer, spy, dog cages sabotage .... what in earth is the man talking about' he says out loud looking at Martin, George and the others that stands in the hallway. He walk to the room to Dr.Moore 'Hey dock... what was all that about? Are we being sabotaged by some woman? Who is this lady? And what can i do to help?'

He walks over to Øyvind and Dr.moore as the big Norwegian starts asking questions 'calm down Øyvind, let Dr. Moore get a chance to respond' 'are we in trouble Dr.Moore?'

Job

First Post
Drowned Hero said:
'wow! He is really pist off!' Øyvind stands in the door opening in his underwear scratching his head 'sour cream thief, photography stealer, spy, dog cages sabotage .... what in earth is the man talking about' he says out loud looking at Martin, George and the others that stands in the hallway. He walk to the room to Dr.Moore 'Hey doc... what was all that about? Are we being sabotaged by some woman? Who is this lady? And what can i do to help?'
Drowned Hero said:
[George Barrow] ... walks over to Øyvind and Dr.moore as the big Norwegian starts asking questions 'calm down Øyvind, let Dr. Moore get a chance to respond' 'are we in trouble Dr.Moore?'
Moore sits quietly in his room while the small group of team members gather in the doorway. At first, he seems as confused as everyone, then bends over to pick up a crumpled newspaper on the floor and glances at the front page. He goes quite still for a moment, then sighs.

Looking up at everyone, he straightens his glasses and says with deadpan composure, "Gentlemen, you heard Mister Starkweather. The schedule is advanced; we now leave on the 9th, just 5 days from now. We'll have to work a bit harder, I'm afraid.

"And from this article,"
he says, holding up the newspaper, "you'll see that our Commander has apparently decided that Acacia Lexington will not steal the headlines from him again. He has asked that we locate a female team member. Mr. Barrow, I'll need your help with this. We originally had a female apply for the expedition, but she was turned down by Mr. Starkweather." Dr. Moore then turns and opens a drawer in his desk, searches through some manila folders and pulls out a few typewritten papers. "Ah! Here she is: Camille Bardier, a pilot. She was staying here at the hotel in room 305. Please see if she's still there and do everything within reason to get her to join our expedition. If you have trouble, come back and see me.

Camille Bardier's Letter of Application

And now, gentlemen, if you'll excuse me, I must dress. I shall see you at the breakfast."

He hands you the newspaper and says nothing more as he ushers you all out of his room, closing the broken, now-unlockable door as best he can.

Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• 4-Sep-33 Acacia Lexington Article.jpg
    4-Sep-33 Acacia Lexington Article.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Drowned Hero

First Post
Job said:
"Gentlemen, you heard Mister Starkweather. The schedule is advanced; we now leave on the 9th, just 5 days from now. We'll have to work a bit harder, I'm afraid.

"And from this article,"
he says, holding up the newspaper, "you'll see that our Commander has apparently decided that Acacia Lexington will not steal the headlines from him again. He has asked that we locate a female team member. Mr. Barrow, I'll need your help with this. We originally had a female apply for the expedition, but she was turned down by Mr. Starkweather." Dr. Moore then turns and opens a drawer in his desk, searches through some manila folders and pulls out a few typewritten papers. "Ah! Here she is: Camille Bardier, a pilot. She was staying here at the hotel in room 305. Please see if she's still there and do everything within reason to get her to join our expedition. If you have trouble, come back and see me.

And now, gentlemen, if you'll excuse me, I must dress. I shall see you at the breakfast."

He hands you the newspaper and says nothing more as he ushers you all out of his room, closing the broken, now-unlockable door as best he can.

Job (the tortured one).

George stays in the hall a few moments before he walks to his room. He takes a long shower and walks slowly to the room 305. At arrival he knocks on the door to Ms.Bardier 'Miss Bardier escuse me, my name is George Barrow and im here to talk to you about your integration to the Starkweather—Moore Expedition, miss you there?' George will insist some moments and if the lady open the door, he will invite her to breakfast at the hotel restaurant so they can talk over a meal.

Remove ads