• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who - "The Satan Pit"

Kesh

First Post
Since no one else started the thread:

A bit heavy on the exposition, but I really liked this episode. A few classic horror clichés thrown in for fun, plus some great quick-edits on the Doctor's expression as he figures things out in the pit. :)

Wycen

Explorer
I missed the first part Impossible Planet thanks to Gencon Socal, but the Satan Pit was pretty cool, very much like a dungeon crawl actually.

MonsterMash

First Post
This was a satisfying conclusion to a good two parter. I think I maybe prefer the Impossible Planet slightly more if only for the opening when the Ood surround the Doctor and Rose saying "we must feed" (not spoilered as its the pre credit sequence).

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I mostly liked it, especially Rose's bit at the end. Go Rose! However, it has the big flaw that all of these types of stories have. If the guys who imprisoned him set up such elaborate mechanisms to throw the planet into the black hole if it ever looked like he was going to get free... why the He!! didn't they just throw him in it in the first place?! (And I do NOT want to hear: "Because then they wouldn't have a story.") Obviously, they were moral cowards who wanted someone else to do the dirty work for them. (There, saved you the trouble of answering.)

And why was the Doctor going on about the impossibility of the 'before time' concept? If the Big Bang theory is correct there's no reason to assume that there wasn't something going on before it. Some scientists even think it might be a (looooong) cyclical event.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ed_Laprade said:
And why was the Doctor going on about the impossibility of the 'before time' concept? If the Big Bang theory is correct there's no reason to assume that there wasn't something going on before it. Some scientists even think it might be a (looooong) cyclical event.

The Doctor knows better than those scientists. He's a Time Lord!

Ed_Laprade said:
The BigBang theory doesn't require a time before the BigBang, which is hard to explain. I think the concept of the cycles has to be given up anyway, since there will be no Big Crunch, as far as we know today. Their isn't enough mass to slow the expansion and reverse it. (Very unfortunate, I liked the idea of the eternal "big banging" :) )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads