Door to Nowhere

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar looks around at the dreary environment. "These kidnappers went to a lot of effort to grab their victims. Their motives have me baffled. Obviously they thought no one would follow them this far. I am glad to prove them wrong."
In this new setting with only potential enemies around he insists on setting a watch whenever they rest. Before sleep he will close his eyes, manipulate waylines to improve his hearing and listen for anything odd that might provide new information on this case.

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Plumeir raises his hands in frustration. "I could not agree more. This is making no sense to me. Where could we possibly be going out here in this wasteland?"

He shakes his head to himself. "First we were backtracking kidnappers, then after the Rheini village I suspected we might be dealing with two different groups. I bet my life we just used and ancient Yahdram travel way, but who showed these barbarians how to use it? There is no way they figured that out for themselves."
OOC: 67

astarte

Adventurer
who showed these barbarians how to use it?
"The one(s) who hired them. Maybe this Faethrin?" Astarte agrees that keeping watch is crucial and proposes she'll take the last turn then wake up her comrades. "We should start moving as soon as we can see the traces and possibly decrease the distance between us and the brigands, as they don't expect us to follow".

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Taylar...
Plumeir...
... Astarte...
Astarte: 52(wariness) + 47(hearing) + 50(d100) = 149
Plumeir: 60 + 54(smell) + 67 = 181
Taylar: 47 + 38(hearing) + 52 = 137
This desert seems void of any other form of life. Nothing else was seen during the previous day or the current night, not even a vulture circling high overhead. The night is remarkably cold, possibly a tactile illusion due to the extreme heat of the day.

Beginning to walk even before first light, after about three hours the ground begins to change. The granular nature of the sand becomes more powdery, and the yellow color becomes more of a reddish orange. The substrate also becomes firmer, and steps do not sink into it. There also arises an occasional swirling of the air. Sometimes it is a mere breeze, other times more forceful. Sometimes the wind is hot. Sometimes it seems cool. While walking becomes easier and faster, the prints that are being followed disappear.

Fortunately the change in substrate is accompanied by a change in topography that makes walking in a straight line easy to determine. Sporadically, somewhat cylindrical rocks jut straight up out of the sand. Some are about the height of a person, others could not be topped if ten people could stand one upon the other. The wind continues to become more forceful, sucking a fine patina of the reddish powder to swirl about the air, significantly reducing distant vision. By midday no one can see farther ahead than about 30 strides; but looking up, above the swirling dust, the party suddenly realizes that the peaks of the Dragon’s Spine are looming over them. The eastern edge of this desert is close at hand.

Walking near enough to a very large, rocky spire four people are seen sitting in its shade at its base. Because they are out of the sun, their heads are uncovered; but because of the dust, they still wear their masks. The four of them appear to be dozing or at least resting with their backs against the rock. Because their hoods are down, they can be recognized as Maldrogs. The party is both masked and hooded and cannot be recognized. The largest male opens his eyes and reflexively eases his hand around the large fighting axe resting across his lap. Seeing that there are only three in the party the Maldrog relaxes his hand and nods. One of the females stands, slowly, because she is wielding some type of mechanical bow, the likes of which no one in the party has ever seen. [It is a crossbow.] She is relaxed and does not take a threatening posture.

FA8E70BE-1233-47B4-862C-2617F01C6D13.jpeg
Taylar: full wellness
tunic: 60 - 3 - 3 = 54
Astarte: full wellness
vest: 29
Plumeir: full wellness
tunic: 48
none
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provide a random roll.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar says to the Investigators in Markidian, "Since we all speak their language I will try talking first. Be wary. This group might serve the same purpose as the Nishurins." He reflects the relaxed posture of the strangers and pulls his head covering back so they can see he is Maldrog. When he is close enough to converse without being threatening he says in Maldrog, "Greetings. We are travellers that became lost in the desert and followed some tracks here. We assume they are yours or has someone else come by this way?"

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Plumeir will heed the desire of Taylar, allowing him to initiate conversation. He is comfortable enough with Maldrog, so he will listen, intently. He also uncovers his head so that he can be seen. He is, of course, wary, but his primary means of assault is mystical so it is unnecessary for him to appear physically on guard.
OOC: 68

MacConnell

Taylar...
Plumeir...
Season: Drenching. Day: 50
Plumeir: 82(coerce) + 64(Enthral) + 68(d100) = 214
Taylar: 70 + 34(allure) + 85 = 189
The remaining Maldrogs stand when Taylar addresses them. None takes an aggressive posture. The large man, who had previously nodded and is likely that party’s leader, responds, “Möge die Erde dich erden. Mögest du immer den Weg nach Hause kennen,” which is to say, “May the Earth ground you. May you always know the way home.”

This is a common Maldrog blessing given between friendly travelers. Taylar knows this expression and its correct response, though he has had little opportunity to use it. He replies, “Darauf trinke ich!” That is to say, “I will drink to that!”

Common courtesies exchanged, the big man, who is not quite as muscular as Taylar, introduces himself as Kol and continues to speak. “Lost?” He smiles and nods. “Only the Evipaun come across the sand. I wish you success. I hate forced labor as much as any Maldrog. I suspect you to be no different. We know their timing. Last Cycle I chose to take them out, and we waited out in the sand. There are eight of them. At the time, there were eight of us. I would have attacked them if they had been twelve.”

He wets his lips. “They cut through us like we were mere children. Only the four of us survived. They never leave the same way that they arrive. If they are still here, do not try to attack them in the valley. Let me tell you something about where you are heading.”

He explains that the shape of the valley and the vanishing stream that flows from the mountains make a micro habitat. At this time of the Cycle the lake will have flooded all across the cotton fields. It shrinks throughout the remainder but never completely disappears. Since there is no exiting river, the water must evaporate or seep through the substrate to some underground aquifer. "Do not try to take any of the water. You will need to buy it. The Pelimonra who control this community will stick you so full of arrows you will die looking like a quillion. Crops and livestock are continually managed to maximize productivity."

While they lack scruples and trade in everything, including slaves, unfortunately, they are not specifically malevolent, but they do have Benders, and not just some campfire flicker. I am talking real Air Chokers and Storm Bringers. Even the Deviard who trade here do not challenge their authority. Those Earth Blighters buy slaves. We have managed to follow and take out a few parties of them, away from prying eyes. In fact, that has become our main venture. A little mercenary, I know, but they deserve it.”

Lastly Kol adds, “If you have any salt, a mere handful will buy you all the water that you can carry.”
GM: Each party member will, in fact, carry about a handful of salt.

none
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State nominal actions and intentions. Provide a random roll.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
“Lost?”
Taylar nods at Kol and continues to speak in Maldrog, "We are lost in that we do not have a name for where we are. Since we are in a new place and need new friends, I will tell you our story. We are pursuing the Evipaun because they took children from several of the communities around our home. We know it is them because we encountered allies of theirs that tried to kill us and they told us where to follow them. It is our intention to not only bring home those that were taken, but to ensure that these kidnappers do not return to trouble us again. Since they are your enemy as well, we should stand together against them. Will you accompany us to this place ruled by the Pelimonra? Your knowledge of this area would be of great help to us, and in a fight you will find us skilled enough to be useful."
90(+68)=158

Eric Zephlaer

Gaming Aficianado
Satisfied that rapport has been established, Plumeir joins the conversation, speaking in Maldrog. "My name is Plumeir, a Markidian term as am I. My friend speaks for all of us, truly; but if our cause cannot align with yours, what more might you be willing to tell us of this valley? Will we find any friends here or only enemies?"
OOC: 70

MacConnell

Taylar...
... Plumeir...
Season: Drenching. Day: 50
Plumeir: 82(coerce) + 64(enthral) + 70(d100) = 216
Taylar: 70 + 31(muddle) + 158 = 259
As the big man begins to respond, the woman standing near him touches his arm and responds, first. “I am called Karen. For merely three of you to travel and not mention the loss of other members gives me great indication of your prowess and potential. I can sense the talent of Bending within you, Taylar, and the woman, but I can sense nothing of the Markidian man, Plumeir, though I would bet my right arm he can sense it in me. You will find that Bending is not…” She pauses trying to find the right words. “treated here as it is in most societies; but like with your weapons, you should not overtly employ it to assault anyone within the valley.”

The man waits for the woman to finish then continues. “I respect your offer. I am honored by it, but we must decline, as we must be about our own particular mission. We were waiting here for a reason. This spire and one just like across the opening of the valley, which is about two hours due north, represent some invisible line of demarcation. The Pelimonra will interfere with any conflict that happens inside that line, to the East; but outside of it, they would stand there and watch two groups kill one another. That is important.”

He continues as the others prepare to depart. “Everyone covers their head from the Daylight and their face from the dust, but the Pelimonra are easily recognized for they wear a bright blue cloth covering for their heads. They also wear white cotton garments. Once stained with the dust, they are passed to others who remain in the valley. Everyone lives or stays in tents. The tavern, which I recommend, is a large tent. We call this place the Trade Arena. Excellent gear may be acquired here. Others call the place by other names. I do not know what the Pelimonra call it. I do not speak their language but several speak ours. They also speak Markidian and several other languages.”

When the others are ready they signal Kol, who nods back to them. “We must be going. People come and go into the valley by paths that lead into the mountains. We have not followed them all. Other groups come and go as we are now, by keeping the rocks to one side and the sand to the other. This prevents one from getting lost. I wish you success. Follow the Evipaun outside of the valley before you strike. The valley is small, not more than three hours across in any direction.”
none

Remove ads