As for Buddy meeting people, I’ve got no clue. Buddy has a small chance of knowing everybody, having dealt with both the criminal underworld and law enforcement, wizard communities and religious ones, and so on and so forth. He is affectionately known around town as “that snot nosed kid”, even though his sinus problem fixed itself years ago.
I think the only thing I wish to have set before we start is what Fareon can do with Wolf to start.
The goal is to gain the ranger ability Ranger's Companion and then move on to Exceptional Training> So I have been trying to reverse engineer it to have some starting abilities.
If companion doesn't attack - you can use a bonus action to command it to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action.
Mastiff gains wolf stats.
- plus you add your proficiency bonus to the companion's AC, Attack rolls, and damage rolls as well as to any saving throws and skills it is proficient in
- its hp maximum equals its normal maximum or four times your ranger level - not needed for this game as everyone gets maximum hp per HD
- It obeys your commands as best as it can and takes its turn on your initiative, but doesn't take any action unless you command it to.
- On your turn you an verbally command it to move (no action required on your part).
- Use your action to verbally command it to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge or Help action
- Once you have the Extra Attack feature you can make one weapon attack yourself when you command your animal companion to attack
- Moving through favored terrian at normal pace with only your companion.
- If they die you may perform an 8 hour ritual to obtain a new companion- not accalible
So to start we could say that using your action and making a DC 5 Animal handling check would give you the ability to command the wolf to stay or heel
- Action and DC 10 Handle Animal to mount/ride, Dodge, or Disengage
- Action and DC 15 Handle Animal to have it Attack, Help, Dash
Still need to think of the time/gp but that isn't necessary just yet, to bring down the DC, and then eventually gain the abilities.