Falcon and winter solider

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There must be a sentence, a telling camera shot or facial expression that states the person is racist. Otherwise you are in the realm of personal interpretation.

Somehow I missed this, and I'd like to comment...

Modern racism uses exactly what you are saying as an excuse to deny it exists! The show is demonstrating to the audience how people who don't actually say or directly indicate, "I dislike you for the color of your skin," still are part of a cultural system that keeps people of color at a disadvantage.

The actual point is that the banker can argue to himself that there was nothing wrong with what happened!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah the status of Stark Tech is one of those things that Marvel Studios is brushing over at the moment (first with regards Vision and now with Redwing) - since his death has the government gone and requistion all Starks Tech or is Pepper still in control?
You know. Stark Tech 1 and 3 kinda sucked, but Stark Tech 2, 4 and 6 were pretty good. :p

Somehow I missed this, and I'd like to comment...

Modern racism uses exactly what you are saying as an excuse to deny it exists! The show is demonstrating to the audience how people who don't actually say or directly indicate, "I dislike you for the color of your skin," still are part of a cultural system that keeps people of color at a disadvantage.

The actual point is that the banker can argue to himself that there was nothing wrong with what happened!

Further more, recognition of racism often IS a matter of personal perception. Where one person may see signs of racism, another may not. Because it isn't always as clear cut. And that is what makes the scene so good. The banker doesn't use blatant racism, but discriminates in a not so obvious way. People will read the scene differently, based on their own ability to discern racism in real life.

Further more, recognition of racism often IS a matter of personal perception. Where one person may see signs of racism, another may not. Because it isn't always as clear cut.

And the opposite is true too. Some people see racism in everything. There are people out there who would call someone racist just because they do not like rap music or don't like Chinese food. I wonder if we will see any of this false racism in the show? Though the banker still may fit this because that character may not be racist at all, but his bosses are, since they are the ones with the final say on that loan.

And the opposite is true too. Some people see racism in everything. There are people out there who would call someone racist just because they do not like rap music or don't like Chinese food. I wonder if we will see any of this false racism in the show? Though the banker still may fit this because that character may not be racist at all, but his bosses are, since they are the ones with the final say on that loan.
I am not sure he could hide behind his bosses here - would his bosses even know the skin color of the applicants?
I think in the end it's up to him, and he could try to do more, but he doesn't really care about them, so why bother?

moriantumr

Explorer

I suspect that ‘false racism’ is an echo of the systemic nature of racism rather than an actual threat. In the U.S. racism was and still is supported by government through rule of law. If the principles of a country are built on setting aside rights of certain individuals, that idea will find its way into all facets of society. Just because we do not see how something may be racist does not mean that it has not been influenced by a culture that enshrined racism in its laws

On a side note, being called a racist is a chance to learn and change.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And the opposite is true too. Some people see racism in everything.

Rhetorically speaking this amounts to, "Some folks called this plant a tree, but it is clearly a shrub, therefore I question/dismiss/distract from the existence of the forest."

There may be some folks who are over-sensitive. But, concern about them entails a fundamental failure in sense of proportion. While you are complaining about someone not liking your food preferences, hate-based crimes against Asian-Americans is up by 150% in the past year. They're getting assaulted and beaten. Some rando on the internet giving your menu choices some side-eye really doesn't compare.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
FB_IMG_1617292887661.jpg

Remove ads