D&D 5E How on earth is this balanced?! Twilight cleric, more in-play evidence

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I have an other argument that "proves" this is not balanced, at all.

A lot of class abilities duplicate feats or spells - warlocks, for example, get fiendish resilience, which gives false life, a first level spell, at will. It gives you 1d4+4 temp hp.

I think we can agree that false life is a bit weak. When you upcast it, you gain 5 more temp hp... but I think one could agree that an "alternate" version would cast it on a number of people instead.

So the twiligh's aura is basically casting a level 4 (depending on how many party members there are) spell every round, without concentration, and only for a single action, for a minute.

Aelryinth

Explorer
I have an other argument that "proves" this is not balanced, at all.

A lot of class abilities duplicate feats or spells - warlocks, for example, get fiendish resilience, which gives false life, a first level spell, at will. It gives you 1d4+4 temp hp.

I think we can agree that false life is a bit weak. When you upcast it, you gain 5 more temp hp... but I think one could agree that an "alternate" version would cast it on a number of people instead.

So the twiligh's aura is basically casting a level 4 (depending on how many party members there are) spell every round, without concentration, and only for a single action, for a minute.
Another way of saying this is that the spell is either giving Fast Healing 10+ for a minute, OR is Casting Mass Cure Light Wounds on everyone for a minute.
Sure, it's wasted if nobody attacks. The point is, it is damage ablation, and is just as useful as actual healing during a fight. Even if you want to argue it is only half as useful as actual healing... that's still a repeated 4th level spell cast at least 5 times over the course of a minute.
It is WAY OP for the level the character gets it at, compared to other similar abilities.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4