(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 1

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Valda did the grisly work of stabbing each ogre while Quinn and Eoghan were ready to back her up with flame and mockery, respectively. Only once did an ogre survive long enough to need mocking, and Eoghan confused that ogre enough with his magic-infused words, delivered in his deep voice, that Valda was able to easily block the ogre's club with her shield, before Quinn's flame and her sword finished him off.

By then, Jack had picked the lock on the big chest and he and Bible quickly gathered anything of value inside and ran back to join the others. They had looted three small sacks of coins, gems, and other valuables of various types and sizes, and two stoppered gourds containing a gallon each of strange liquids.

OOC: Okay, let's skip forward a bit. I rolled some attacks for Valda and it looks like dispatching the ogres will just work out without any trouble. I really wasn't sure. Treasure can be counted and identified later. One last question: Are we retreating?

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Jack sees the handiwork of his companions and smiled while hefting one of the bags from the chest. "Not bad wages for a half day's work. S'pose we should head back to the cairn before those brutes on the roof figure out how to alert the others." He then heads towards the gates to the north.

OOC: Yes, I think retreat is in order. I believe Quinn already cast Pass without Trace to cover our tracks.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Valda supports the idea of retreating before the bulk of the steading can fall upon them, and will assist in getting the group over the wall with the help of her Boots of Spider Climbing.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
(He must remember how far away those dwarven tombs were?)

The gate was a bit heavy for his mage hand, but Tenibor was able to get the gate open. The guards in the Watchtower had finally found a large enough metal object to give the gong a good strong blow. It would take minutes for the giants to marshal, and at least as long for the "smalls" to flee into the hills. It was extremely important that they get gone without giving away which way they would travel.

Which was, as Tenibor thought about it, an hour's travel north-east. Though now that it was dark, it might take longer - it was not exactly the safest trail. Then again, if they were pursued, they would need to keep up the pace.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The group left the steading by the north gate. Using the outbuilding (and the growing darkness) as cover from the watchtower, they moved quickly and quietly back into the hills, where they met up again with Lord Falldur's scouts, Cromby and Siersha.

"Heh heh. Looked like ye gave'em what-for." said the old sailor turned-scout, "I saw flames in the courtyard from up 'ere."

"What's the plan?" asked Shiersha, who had readied her horse, Eon. "I could ride westward, see if I can lead them away. We must not lead them back to the Cairn."

The alarm gong, now that it was going, echoed through the hills. An armed group of giants and ogres had come out the front (south-eastern) gates and were circling the steading counter-clockwise, now moving along the eastern wall. They carried torches, which made them visible from afar but reduced their own vision to their immediate area.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
"Information for Lord Falldur: this is a wide alliance. The Stone Giant Thane Arnak of the Howling Craig has two ambassadors there though only one survives. The Skyejotun have one, Thyffon, though that may be not stable. And King Snurre of the Fire Giants is also involved.", the firbolg spits out the words at the sight of the scouts, as if he had been rehearsing it on the way back.

Then his speech returned to the half-apologetic tones he used while navigating the Common tongue.

"Erm, while I could do with a rest, or at least a quick meal, there is something to be said for leading them away and going right back in. They wouldn't be expecting it."

OOC: Spell-wise I have two fourth and one fifth slots left. At the least a short rest is needed to spend HD and to regain my bardic inspiration. But moving soon might be a good chance to get in while they have separated.

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Jack's heavily-lidded eyes pop open at the mention of heading back. "The big guy again talks sense. I'm fresh as a daisy. If this lass is willing to lead them on a wild goose chase, that gives us some time to sneak in and get more information on who - or what - is behind them." The rogue's ragged appearance seemed to belie his enthusiasm as he swayed a bit in the moonlight.

Remove ads