• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Marius comes back from his vigil, drawn by something that was said.

"When you say, it calls to blood living or not, do you mean it can call us from beyond the veil to serve the master? If so, however powerful, it is abomination and it needs to be destroyed. How can we do so? Also, there is one of Willing buried above with inscription indicating he waits for when he's needed. Do you think it is too soon to awaken him for the servant or should we wait for the master to show himself. Finally, if we lure the beast down, can you help us defeat it? How much control do you have over the garden? Could vines and such hold it at least for a time? Do you think we can defeat the thing?"

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

The creature seems to brood thoughts as observations and questions are thrown around by both companions. After a moment, it finally agitates itself once more.

"When you say, it calls to blood living or not, do you mean it can call us from beyond the veil to serve the master? If so, however powerful, it is abomination and it needs to be destroyed.”

“One dies seeking valor, other dies chasing approval…. Other yet defines himself through desire... That one wants power… This one, love… Justice… Peace… Name it. We live for our beliefs, we die for them… And what’s our reward for it? The heavens, the hells – if they exist at all? Well, some chose – many chose – to live by their claims, even across the planes… Even beyond death… And now they belong to the dagger…” – there is a stern, heavy inclination to the sounds. "No, they do not serve... They follow the dagger, to put it simply... Coveting its powers, yet unable to reach it..."

“Yes, it deserves destruction. It is an enslaver… As much as angels, demons, ifrits, spirits, self-proclaimed gods… All that demands adulation should perish.”

“That is why we tried…. To destroy it, I mean… And how we tried! Dozens of times it faced destruction… But it returned… Making others thirst for its powers… once more… Every time it would reappear… At the hands of a warrior… Within a cellar… or hidden in ruins… Or among the dying embers of a besieged fortress… Indeed, we tried… It returned when needed, it seems, when enough cause to employ it was present… Making everything so much more complicated... Specially for those who had lost someone held dear… Just a drop of blood to pull the deceased from the planes of the dead… Stupid notions, all of them…” – the creature seems to reminisce for a second, before continuing.

“Eventually… We surrendered to it… Used it… Kept it around…. Not even the stars know how to rid themselves of it, I believe.” – a heavy silence follows the last few words, as if suffering lingered still in the entity’s memories.

“Whatever reason you have to use it… Make sure it is worth it. Whoever ‘entrusted’ it to you might have known the price of its powers… and might have been unwilling to pay for them… personally. ” – the entity finishes in a brooding tone.

”Also, there is one of Willing buried above with inscription indicating he waits for when he's needed. Do you think it is too soon to awaken him for the servant or should we wait for the master to show himself.”

A strenuous cacophony emanates from the hollows and the leaves, as if they were suddenly shaken. It takes some time till the companions discover a laugh behind the odd sounds.

“A theurgic researcher… Helping to raise the Willing… And the last of them, no less! How fates converge to perform such ironies…” – the long, rasp conjunction of sounds shrink to a whisper right before returning, more calculated than before.

“Well, I suppose that, if it must be done… There are no impediments. Once risen, he will not rest again, I believe. See, the Willing could not be contained through death. Their spirits lingered through sheer willpower to defend the city and slay their enemies. Since death could not stop them… They were… sealed away. Notice, though, that he shall only protect this city. Since your enemy has breached its gates, he’ll attack the beast once released… Most likely. Nevertheless, there will be consequences… He will not be the only one to be released… Considering the strength of your adversary, though, it might be worth the risk…”

“The mere sight of the Willing could terrify their enemies, and their presence could inspire those who fought with them… He would be an important asset, should a confrontation take place. Still, you would need to go to their Halls to break the seal and bring the last one back.”

Finally, if we lure the beast down, can you help us defeat it? How much control do you have over the garden? Could vines and such hold it at least for a time? Do you think we can defeat the thing?

“I am the garden…. I control everything… As far as it can be controlled… If you bring it down… I may be able to delay its advance for a while… With barriers and thorns… Or to intoxicate it with poisonous concoctions of some flowers… Maybe even blind it… But I won’t be able to entangle it for long. The branches are too slow, and the vines are too feeble for his power…” – it pauses for a moment. “A difficult battle, no doubt… But it is possible to defeat it, I believe… Weakening it through traps, using my assets and employing your power... Yes, it is possible.”

“Gather up those maps ye were sae int’rested in,” he told Reynard. “I’ll grab tha’ ‘orn. Anythin’ else ye think we need, get it, an’ let’s beat feet oot o’ ‘ere.”

“Take all you need… As I said before… The horn, though… The garden starves if the horn is taken… I ask, if you decide to leave and take it… That you ensure I will have another place to live in… With the seeds I gave you… And that you don’t allow me to fall into silent solitude…” – for such a tremendous sacrifice, the entity seems oddly resigned.

@Trogdor1992 @Neurotic @KahlessNestor @Jago

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

Morgrym grunted at the Gardener’s words. “Then we’ll leave the ‘orn,” he said. “Ye seem t’ need it more’n we dae.”

Looking at the others, the dwarf said, “Seems we need t’ gae back the way we came if we want t’ wake this sleepin’ watcher. “No’ sure if tha’s the wisest, considerin’ the beastie lies between us an’ them. Might be best t’ jus’ keep on gaein’.”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 19m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Jago

Explorer
~ Reynard had tucked The Dagger back into his pack after listening to The Gardener's explanation and warning about the device. He briefly wondered if Grontar had tricked them in some way? But there was still their contact to meet: supposedly Adalous knew how to use the device, and maybe there was a way around its ... curse, it sounded.

" The ... 'beastie', as you put it, wants the Dagger, though," Reynard thought aloud, a plan coming alive within his brightening eyes, " Perhaps if I were to ... well, I don't want to use the word bait, but at least kept its attention away from the tomb? Perhaps you three could awaken the Willing and come bail my ass out before I'm too disfigured."

Reynard wondered if the risk was worth it, and assumed it was. He trusted that he could keep the item safe, for at least a small amount of time, and he had come to trust his companions and their help. Morgrym, especially, he found himself growing a newfound respect for (despite the smell): leaving The Horn behind was a charitable act, and one he agreed with.

" I can lure the creature to the garden here. Gardener, with your help? We can delay the monster while The Willing rises again. Then, together, we can rid this world of such an abomination."

He smiled tightly, knowing it was a risk, but hoping at least it was a calculated one. The sailor was not one for caution when a risky plan still had a good shot.

" As for the Dagger itself ... we will learn more about it before we use it. Thank you for the warning, Gardener: I shall be sure to be especially careful with it. Wouldn't want to get nicked and spend my life chasing a knife instead of ... other things."

He threw a sly grin towards Arvana, but returned to his severity very quickly after.

" So. What do you all say? Do we wake up an ancient power to fight an equally ancient evil over a really ancient knife?" ~

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]Character Sheet
HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9
In Hand: Nothing
[sblock=Defenses]AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5[/sblock]
Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly
[sblock=Adventure Notes]Game Info:
We have a dagger that is actually a Planar Key. It is very cool.

The dagger is to go to someone named "Adalous". We reach him by going North through "The Dungeons"

Arvana supposedly knows a mythical oracle-like creature called The Lady. Reynard is intrigued and wants to go spelunking with her.

Reynard found a series of ancient maps, one of which appears to be magical. Morgrym called it 'a guide'. We have left these behind for now.

We stumbled across information on 'The Willings': powerful beings from ages ago who charted the world, experimented with planar gateways, and supposedly even had flying vessels. The city of Maran used to be called 'Cartaluga' to them.

The Willing and several other races banded together to fight against another species of "So-Called Gods". The Willing came from the prison plane of Avidor, and used our dagger to escape it.

We met a talking tree. That wasn't really a tree, but it sorta was. It gave us some seeds and asked us to spread them outside.

The Dagger is apparently an object that requires blood to use, and binds those whose blood it tastes. The Gardener (the Tree) said they he and his people have tried to destroy it many times, to no avail: it keeps coming back.[/sblock][/sblock]

Neurotic

"No. We fight the monster ourselves. As you said, you can bait it, we can set a trap. In place of our choosing where the beast would be at a disadvantage. Such as stairway exit. We can take it, with Gardeners help. And without awakening ancients that would not sleep afterwards"

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Underground garden
Night
Round 0

“Wakin’ th’Willin’ does sound aboot as bad a solution as the problem,” Morgrym said. “Might ‘ave another problem on our ‘ands after we defeat the beastie. If the Gard’ner can ‘elp, when let’s try an’ take ‘im ourselves. Or jus’ keep runnin’. Avoidin’ a fight’s always a guid idea. But this place might be ideal. Away from anyone else t’ get ‘urt.” He mused. “An’ mebbe if it gaes bad, we c’n pitch the thrice-damned dagger intae th’abyss.” He looked out toward the edge of the massive shelf the city sat upon.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 39/39 NL: 0
AC: 17 FF: 11 T: 16 (+4 vs Giants)(Barkskin: +2)
CMD: 15 (+2 vs bull rush, trip)
Fort: 7 Ref: 2 Will: 7 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLA)
Armed: MW Cold Iron Battleaxe
Ammunition: 10/10 bullets
Storm Burst 7/7

Conditions: Barkskin 18m

Spells Prepared
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Stabilize
1. Obscuring Mist (Domain), Cure Light Wounds, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, [Summon Nature’s Ally 1 (Spontaneous)]
2: Fog Cloud (Domain)*, Barkskin,* Flaming Sphere, [Summon Nature’s Ally II (Spontaneous)]
[/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

“Then we’ll leave the ‘orn,” he said. “Ye seem t’ need it more’n we dae.”

The Gardener accepts the decision in silence, simply moving the leaves in a soothing way as its would-be head bends a bit towards Morgrym.

“I can seal any entrance within my tendrils’ reach… The thicker branches might hold him for a while at least… But remember that I will need time… If I am to reposition any parts of the garden after the battle commences…” – the Gardener prevents, softening his tone.

“I can also fill any given chamber with torpid clouds… But you must pick one… The blossoms capable of doing so are limited in strength, and I’ll need to divert all of them towards the proper room. Remember as well that the cloud might affect everyone within range.”

“Finally… If all else fails… Just follow the chamber to its end and you shall find a way to the surface… If I still have any strength left, I’ll seal the passage behind you. If you choose to descend into the rifts on the edges of the garden… There won’t be much for me to do. Down below is ichtian territory. They destroy any branch I send down.”

He falls silent once more, waiting for the others’ decisions.

Neurotic

"Pick the room, you know your garden better than we do. I'd ask for something that allows high perch view at the entrance. And if you have, a sap that burns, something that could be spilt over the beast and stick to it."
Marius thinks for the moment.
"Pistolero, do you have some explosive that could be thrown at the beast or down its gullet?"

Jago

Explorer
~ " We lose the Dagger, we doom Maran and everyone in it to the Empire, Morgrym," Reynard reminded the dwarf, " I'm not happy with the device either, but right not it's the last, best hope for these people."

As the other voiced their disagreement at awakening the Last Willing, the sailor nodded in response, finding that their reasoning was more than sound. If he were finally to put to rest, he certainly wouldn't want to be roused awake just to get into a fight.

" Pistolero, do you have some explosive that could be thrown at the beast or down its gullet?"

A sharp eyebrow was shot up in Marius's direction, almost a mixture of incredulity and annoyance.

" Pisto- ... My name is Reynard. You don't see me calling you Mister Shadows or the like."

Still, he thought on the question and could only shrug.

" The powder I use for my cartridges is certainly volatile when sparked, but I don't have like a ... like a bomb or the sort. If I dumped enough of the ammo into some type of canister we may be able to create a crude one. Alternatively, I do have a handful of Flares: they'll light up and spark when shot, they're usually used to signal others at sea when you're in distress, but I'd imagine they may also be able to ignite something. Maybe." ~

[sblock=Reynard's Stats]Character Sheet
HP: 25/25
Condition: Normal
Initiative: +6
Perception: +9
In Hand: Nothing
[sblock=Defenses]AC: 18 Flat: 13 Touch: 18
Fort: 7 Reflex: 10 Will: 7[/sblock]
[sblock=Offenses]Pistol (Mwk): +7, 1d8/x4
Chakrams: +6, 1d8/x2
- Flurry of Throws: +4/+4
Unarmed Strike: +6, 1d6

Paper Cartridges: 66/70
Entangling Shot: 5/5
Flare Cartridges: 5/5[/sblock]
Grit: 3/3
Deeds:
Gunslinger's Dodge
Quick Clear
Up Close And Deadly
[sblock=Adventure Notes]Game Info:
We have a dagger that is actually a Planar Key. It is very cool.

The dagger is to go to someone named "Adalous". We reach him by going North through "The Dungeons"

Arvana supposedly knows a mythical oracle-like creature called The Lady. Reynard is intrigued and wants to go spelunking with her.

Reynard found a series of ancient maps, one of which appears to be magical. Morgrym called it 'a guide'. We have left these behind for now.

We stumbled across information on 'The Willings': powerful beings from ages ago who charted the world, experimented with planar gateways, and supposedly even had flying vessels. The city of Maran used to be called 'Cartaluga' to them.

The Willing and several other races banded together to fight against another species of "So-Called Gods". The Willing came from the prison plane of Avidor, and used our dagger to escape it.

We met a talking tree. That wasn't really a tree, but it sorta was. It gave us some seeds and asked us to spread them outside.

The Dagger is apparently an object that requires blood to use, and binds those whose blood it tastes. The Gardener (the Tree) said they he and his people have tried to destroy it many times, to no avail: it keeps coming back.[/sblock][/sblock]

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

“Your diligence is admirable, Reynard… As well as your sense of practicality… Morgrym…” – the Gardener emphasizes Morgrym’s name in jest.

"Pick the room, you know your garden better than we do. I'd ask for something that allows high perch view at the entrance. And if you have, a sap that burns, something that could be spilt over the beast and stick to it."

“I’d suggest we confront him in the open area between the stairs and the keep, then…” – the Gardener replies, dragging the words through wind. “I may use the branches to stop his flight and create a closed area… You’ll also be able to attack him freely, something that would be harder, was I to enclose the beast on the stairs…”

The entity seems to consider Marius’ requests for a bit.

“As for a sap… Take the older fruits that cascade from the Horn… They are somehow fermented… Their content might adhere to its scales, with luck… Certainly, they’ll burn as any other concoction of this sort would…”

If I dumped enough of the ammo into some type of canister we may be able to create a crude one.

“Would old pottery help? Maybe husks of nuts?” – the Gardener asks, pensive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads