Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Neurotic, also I'm pretty sure Maur has to have line of sight for his spell. Now, he can see to the end of the hallway but rmember that there is a set of stairs beyond that leading up. He can probably see the first five or ten feet of the stairs but beyond that he wouldn't be able to see where you want him to place the stone spikes spell.

I'm assuming the area he selects doesn't have to be flat.

Xander - Sense Motive check: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8 +5 = 13 -10 = 3
Aw crap! :mad: :mad: :mad:
(critical failure)

Forgot the +5 for being lawful not chaotic but it's not going to matter unless Neurotic rolls a one. Still going to roll a Spellcraft check for Xander but he has a -5 to the roll to identify Maur's casting of the stone spikes.

Xander - Spellcraft check: 1D20+8-5 = [11]+8-5 = 14 (failed)
:ROFLMAO:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
@Knightfall as I understand things, I have to see the target; I see it, just behind Xander...the rest is just an area effect - and it is my decision as a caster to have spell spread as far as possible in THAT direction away from me. If the spells didn't work that way then we would have fireballs that don't curve around or meteor swarm that only falls where the caster can see.

He (Maur) KNOWS there is a hall behind and can (I hope direct the spell)
As for chaotic part - that was part of the bluff so that Xander thinks nothing really happened because Maur assumed he is chaotic (I, Neurotic, know duergar are usually LE, Maur probably knows the same :) )

Bluff: 1d20+1 = [3]+1 = 4 😥 close, but not close enough ! :)

I expected to make OA against Eike in the last round, not this one :(
Anyhow, Maur lets Eike go in favor of hittin Xander. And Eike may end up in the spike stones anyhow since it has quite a big area

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Knightfall as I understand things, I have to see the target; I see it, just behind Xander...the rest is just an area effect - and it is my decision as a caster to have spell spread as far as possible in THAT direction away from me. If the spells didn't work that way then we would have fireballs that don't curve around or meteor swarm that only falls where the caster can see.

He (Maur) KNOWS there is a hall behind and can (I hope direct the spell)
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm assuming the target is out the maximum that Maur can see, so, 5 feet up the stairway. The spikes are on the stairs above that. Whoa... I just looked at the spell. One 20 ft. square/level! That means Maur makes a total of seven 20 ft. squares. Holy moly, that's a dangerous spell! o_O

Xander is totally screwed (see below).

Eike not going to fair any better, although I'm going to give him another save once he hits the first set of spikes. But if he fails, he's going to flee to his death.

Neurotic said:
As for chaotic part - that was part of the bluff so that Xander thinks nothing really happened because Maur assumed he is chaotic (I, Neurotic, know duergar are usually LE, Maur probably knows the same :) )

Bluff: 1d20+1 = [3]+1 = 4 😥 close, but not close enough ! :)
Actually, you're Bluff was successful. I rolled a 1 for Xander's Sense Motive check and he failed his Spellcraft check. Like with Natural 20s on skill checks, I modify a Natural 1 the same way but in reverse. So, while a Natural 20 is 30 for a critical success a 1 becomes a -10 for a critical failure. You got a 4. Xander got a 3.

Maur got very lucky. :D

now, that doesn't mean the Xander is just going to cast a spell with Maur in his face without being careful. But he will run after that, so the AoO will come into play. Still, considering what I had planned for Xander's next move, Maur still might miss.

Neurotic said:
I expected to make OA against Eike in the last round, not this one :(
Anyhow, Maur lets Eike go in favor of hittin Xander. And Eike may end up in the spike stones anyhow since it has quite a big area
Yes, Maur made an AoO against Eike last round. I just wanted you you to know that you can choose to do make that your AoO but I didn't expect you would. Heh.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Knightfall said:
"...Whoa... I just looked at the spell. One 20 ft. square/level! That means Maur makes a total of seven 20 ft. squares. Holy moly, that's a dangerous spell! 😮"

That spell is the reason that my 9th level party was able to DEFEAT all of the giants in the great hall in the module STEADING OF THE HILL GIANT CHIEF. The giants couldn't move without suffering HORRIBLE injuries. It really leveled the playing field.

Check it out:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Bad luck for the rogue and luck for Maur since now he doesn't have ti risk entering it and can full attack
Note that Maur's path is partially obstructed by the doorway, so he cannot charge next round. Xander is only 20 feet away from him, however, so he can close the distance and attack.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
How is Xander 20' away?

He moved last round next to Maur for double move cost and 10' beyond that for total distanve of 20' from Maur if I understood correctly
Maur cast the spell and moved after him to be in melee again. Xander cast defensively and moved 5 feet into the spiked area.

What did I miss?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
How is Xander 20' away?

He moved last round next to Maur for double move cost and 10' beyond that for total distanve of 20' from Maur if I understood correctly
Maur cast the spell and moved after him to be in melee again. Xander cast defensively and moved 5 feet into the spiked area.

What did I miss?
Ah nuts!

You wrote that you wanted to put the spell's area behind Xander as far down the corridor as you could. When reading the sentence, I didn't catch the "and" after where you wrote 'Spike stone behind duergar'. My bad.

Damn, you managed to bluff me too. :oops:

I probably still would have had Xander do the same thing. Regardless, he's only 10 feet away, so Maur can take a 5-ft. step and swing away. That was your plan and I... {sigh} my mind just missed it.

Again, sorry.

Rats! I had wanted Xander to be more of a challenge, but Maur is probably going to wipe the floor with him now. Ah well, another bad guy is going to bite the dust soon. (In truth, that's what they're for. I just don't want it to be too easy for you guys. Heh.)

Hmm, I have to rethink Xander's next move. :unsure:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases