• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@JustinCase, you're up! I'm assuming Caerth is flying the full 40 feet and then wild shape back either beside the bard or directly behind her.

Need attacks for the black bears unless you want me to do it.

Three new cultist foes appear from out of the double doors at the end of the corridor where Wieland is standing. The doors open after the black bears attack, both Caerth and Wieland move, and Brutus moves to retrieve his axe.

Angus, Aureus, Phar, Meiridth, Timmins, and Wieland all see the door open without having to make any sort of checks. A dim, yet eerie, red glow spills out into the corridor when the doors are open.

Caerth, Maur, and Quinn all need to make Listen checks to hear the cultist shouting (end of Round 11) and the door opening (in Round 12). The checks are at -10 for the sound of combat, but there is a +2 circumstance bonus to hear the man's shout/command since he's trying to be loud.

For the shout, Caerth makes his Listen check in owl form to hear the man shouting (DC 13). JustinCase, assuming Caerth doesn't change the direction he's going to fly, he makes the Listen check to hear the door opening as himself (DC 25). That DC is higher due to there being too many walls between Caerth and where the door is being opened.

The DC for Maur and Quinn to hear the man shouting is 15. The DC for them to hear the door opening is only 10.

The PCs have been in the temple complex long enough to notice that sound seems to echo in the corridors and trying to pinpoint where sound is coming from is difficult. Any PC who beats a Listen check by 5 or more while in the temple complex can figure out where where most sounds are coming from, if they cannot see the source of the sound.

Maur can use his Stonecunning bonuses for these Listen checks.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
@JustinCase, you're up! I'm assuming Caerth is flying the full 40 feet and then wild shape back either beside the bard or directly behind her.

I thought about that, but I think I’ll cast a spell first before changing out of owl form (I’ve got the feat that makes it possible).

Is the ceiling high enough to avoid Attacks of Opportunity from the combatants below?

Need attacks for the black bears unless you want me to do it.

I’ll do it in a moment.

Caerth, Maur, and Quinn all need to make Listen checks to hear the cultist shouting (end of Round 11) and the door opening (in Round 12). The checks are at -10 for the sound of combat, but there is a +2 circumstance bonus to hear the man's shout/command since he's trying to be loud.

For the shout, Caerth makes his Listen check in owl form to hear the man shouting (DC 13). JustinCase, assuming Caerth doesn't change the direction he's going to fly, he makes the Listen check to hear the door opening as himself (DC 25). That DC is higher due to there being too many walls between Caerth and where the door is being opened.

Alright, both Wisdom scores and skill ranks are unchanged in Wild Shape, so my Listen check in either form is the same.

Two listen checks: 1D20+8-10 = [19]+8-10+2= 19 (heard the shouting)
1D20+8-10 = [6]+8-10 = 4 (didn’t hear the door)

JustinCase

Nevermind, I’ll change back to my half-orc self first. Can’t use the spell from Kang with Natural Magic.

Edit: Aaaaaand I forgot Maur’s recitation bonus again for the bears’ attacks.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, I just noted in the description for Wild Shape that Caerth has to be 11th level to take the form of a tiny animal. He could wild shape into an eagle instead of an owl, however. He would be considered Small in that form.

Is the ceiling high enough to avoid Attacks of Opportunity from the combatants below?
I was thinking about that last night, and I wasn't sure. I just looked it up in the module and the ceilings in the corridors are only 10 feet high, so I'm thinking that Caerth would take AoOs while flying above the fight, as an eagle or other Small bird. One of the cultists didn't have a weapon ready, so he wouldn't get an AoO on Caerth.

He would take one from Hirasean and two of the cultists but not the female bard if he lands in the first space she threatens. If he flies any farther then she would get an AoO. Remember, Caerth still gets the AC bonuses of his wild rhino hide in whatever animal form you have him take.

Personally, I think Caerth could use both Hide and Move Silently while flying overhead of the fight since you did write that he was flying silently over everyone's heads. He's being stealthy. He'd still have to take a -5 penalty to the checks if he flies more than half of his modified movement rate. As an eagle, half of the fly speed would be 40 feet though. :)

JustinCase said:
Alright, both Wisdom scores and skill ranks are unchanged in Wild Shape, so my Listen check in either form is the same.

Two listen checks: 1D20+8-10 = [19]+8-10+2= 19 (heard the shouting)
1D20+8-10 = [6]+8-10 = 4 (didn’t hear the door)
(y)

JustinCase said:
I thought about that, but I think I’ll cast a spell first before changing out of owl form (I’ve got the feat that makes it possible).
Nevermind, I’ll change back to my half-orc self first. Can’t use the spell from Kang with Natural Magic.

Edit: Aaaaaand I forgot Maur’s recitation bonus again for the bears’ attacks.
No worries.

The first bear's second attack hits and the second bear's third attack hits.

JustinCase

Okay, I just noted in the description for Wild Shape that Caerth has to be 11th level to take the form of a tiny animal. He could wild shape into an eagle instead of an owl, however. He would be considered Small in that form.
You’re right! My mistake. Eagle it is.

I was thinking about that last night, and I wasn't sure. I just looked it up in the module and the ceilings in the corridors are only 10 feet high, so I'm thinking that Caerth would take AoOs while flying above the fight, as an eagle or other Small bird. One of the cultists didn't have a weapon ready, so he wouldn't get an AoO on Caerth.

He would take one from Hirasean and two of the cultists but not the female bard if he lands in the first space she threatens. If he flies any farther then she would get an AoO. Remember, Caerth still gets the AC bonuses of his wild rhino hide in whatever animal form you have him take.

Personally, I think Caerth could use both Hide and Move Silently while flying overhead of the fight since you did write that he was flying silently over everyone's heads. He's being stealthy. He'd still have to take a -5 penalty to the checks if he flies more than half of his modified movement rate. As an eagle, half of the fly speed would be 40 feet though. :)
Then I will use those Hide and MS checks, taking AoOs when noticed.

Hide and Move Silently: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16
1D20+2 = [10]+2 = 12

Oh wait, I forgot that -5 penalty. So that’s 11 and 7. Well, damage incoming.

AC is 19 (14 for eagle, +5 for armor).

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Listen check: 1D20+4-10 = [20]+4-10 = 14
1D20+4-10 = [9]+4-10 = 3

I didn't take into account +2 for the man nor recitation bonuses - but with natural 20, I think he definitely heard the man (he is used to hearing shouted orders)

The doors? Too inconsequential.

@Knightfall I did write AC modifiers in one of the posts - I just didn't copy it consistently. I will start doing that on each post. That should help.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You’re right! My mistake. Eagle it is.

Then I will use those Hide and MS checks, taking AoOs when noticed.

Hide and Move Silently: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16
1D20+2 = [10]+2 = 12

Oh wait, I forgot that -5 penalty. So that’s 11 and 7. Well, damage incoming.

AC is 19 (14 for eagle, +5 for armor).
Actually, the rolls are still 16 and 12 since an eagle's fly movement rate is 80 feet, so Caerth can move only half of that and not take the -5 penalty. Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear enough.

Hirasean - Spot and Listen checks: 1D20+7 = [17]+7 = 24
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13

Cultist - Spot and Listen checks: 1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20; 1D20+6 = [18]+6 = 24
1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12; 1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12

So, Hirasean and one of the cultists both see and hear Caerth in his owl form. The third cultist doesn't see Caerth but he does hear him. I'm going to say Caerth gains a 20% miss chance for that attack against him.

His AC is 21; Recitation gives him a +2.

Hirasean - AoO: 1D20+11 = [11]+11 = 22
1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7
(hit)

Cultists - AoOs plus one miss chance: 1D20+5 = [3]+5 = 8
1D8+2 = [6]+2 = 8
1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24
1D8+2 = [1]+2 = 3
1D100 = [41] = 41
(a miss and a hit)

Caerth takes a total of 10 damage. With his wild shape healing it means he's down 2 more hit points. That means he's down 16 hp instead of 14 hp. That's not bad for taking three AoOs in one round.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Listen check: 1D20+4-10 = [20]+4-10 = 14
1D20+4-10 = [9]+4-10 = 3

I didn't take into account +2 for the man nor recitation bonuses - but with natural 20, I think he definitely heard the man (he is used to hearing shouted orders)

The doors? Too inconsequential.
Recitation doesn't apply to skills checks. It says AC, attacks, and saves. He does hear the man shout both his plea for mercy and then his shout to those that opened the double doors. Natural 20s are always 30s for skill checks in my games. So, Maur rolled a 36. :)

@Knightfall I did write AC modifiers in one of the posts - I just didn't copy it consistently. I will start doing that on each post. That should help.
Oh, I didn't see it. Thank you for letting me know.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads