• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
out of curiosity, pushing an evil cannibalistic priestess over a crevasse and then pushing the palisade over on top of her, is probably a lawful act, but shrugging shoulders and saying to Caerth Dire-Bat "oops", is that still lawful, or .. .. .. .. ..

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
I would say that killing a demonstrated DIABOLICALLY EVIL person who practices Necromancy (raising of the dead into Zombies, for instance) is a Lawful act, no matter what. The penalty under law for Necromancy is death in most kingdoms. Plus, she's in the middle of helping to slaughter innocents, through the use of an undead horde. Being flippant about it isn't a big deal. Especially if the deity you worship has any war or combat aspects. Of course, the DM has the final say. Your mileage may vary. 😎

But I tend to think of it like this:

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I would say that killing a demonstrated DIABOLICALLY EVIL person who practices Necromancy (raising of the dead into Zombies, for instance) is a Lawful act, no matter what. The penalty under law for Necromancy is death in most kingdoms. Plus, she's in the middle of helping to slaughter innocents, through the use of an undead horde. Being flippant about it isn't a big deal. Especially if the deity you worship has any war or combat aspects.

I would day it is a GOOD act. LAWFUL...doesn't have to be since raising the dead can be done by lawful as well as chaotic cretures

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
@Neurotic It's both.

GOOD in the sense that opposing evil is a good act.

LAWFUL in the sense that punishing criminals is a lawful act.

Every citizen is expected to do their civic duty; failure to report a crime is the same as aiding in its commission. Thus, it is the duty of any person here to uphold the laws of Carnell. Normally, this would involve a trial, but the crimes are being committed publicly, en masse, against the entire citizenry, in an openly aggressive fashion. So this is an extenuating circumstance; in this case, it is every citizen's duty to KILL these diabolical interlopers.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
List of crimes being committed:

1. Demonic worship.
2. Raising of the dead.
3. Attacking the town of Carnell, which includes:
a. Attacking the citizenry.
b. Attacking the government (Lady P and the town militia)
c. Killing innocent citizens.
d. Killing militia members and other government representatives.
4. Committing (through the actions above) an act of WAR.

I'd say that no one in their right mind would think it unlawful to kill these cretins with extreme prejudice. 😎

@Knightfall, care to weigh in? :)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
One last thing: on the morality of causing her death rather than taking her prisoner: in this circumstance, it's warranted, because her continued survival poses a direct threat to the town, and to the ability of the defenders to achieve victory. This is definitely a "take no prisoners" kind of situation. This is Carnell's "Alamo." One side is gonna' get wiped out. It's our job to make sure it's the cultists, and not the innocent folk of Carnell.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
List of crimes being committed:

1. Demonic worship.
2. Raising of the dead.
3. Attacking the town of Carnell, which includes:
a. Attacking the citizenry.
b. Attacking the government (Lady P and the town militia)
c. Killing innocent citizens.
d. Killing militia members and other government representatives.
4. Committing (through the actions above) an act of WAR.

I'd say that no one in their right mind would think it unlawful to kill these cretins with extreme prejudice. 😎

@Knightfall, care to weigh in? :)
I look at it this way, Quinn is acting to protect a community that has welcomed him and made him a knight. The people he's protecting would view what he did as not only justifiable, but also necessary. In the past, the people of the area saw previous rook attacks as just the normal dangers of living in the region, but now they know the cultists have been sending the rooks to attack them on purpose.

The cultists are a threat to them and the safety of the their community. They have killed friends and family of many in Carnell and wish to destroy the village and either eat its citizens or turn them all into ghouls.

Thus, Quinn's actions would seem heroic to many of them. Yes, he has been made a knight, but he's not a paladin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads