Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hi all. Sorry, but real life has been kicking me in the gnutz. My blood sugar has been destabelizing with the advent of a medication change. I am doing my best to keep up but not caught up yet..
Take your time. We will be here.

Decisions on who gets what from the new items still has to be decided. ;)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Hi all. Sorry, but real life has been kicking me in the gnutz. My blood sugar has been destabelizing with the advent of a medication change. I am doing my best to keep up but not caught up yet..

Yeah, real life got to me, too. Funny how sometimes life gets in the way with all these things like work, marriage, kids, friend. But at least for me, it's fun stuff. Take care of you and your blood sugars!

@JustinCase:
Using Kang's deathwatch ability, Caerth can determine that Aureus and Thorvid are "fragile." All the other significantly wounded NPCs from the fight in the cave are considered to be "fighting off death." Most are either below half their hit points or close to it. Eleven NPCs died during the fight against the undead horde: Annabel Ufford (militia), Arruns (militia), Benedict and Eleanor Stevyn (ranger and bard [married]), Kingsley (militia), Logan (militia), Meridith Bowen, Philippa (militia), Samantha Willowchild (gala of Inanna), Syndra Stormraven, and Zephora Chyrche (militia).

For the NPCs that fought off the rooks and traitorous Reynold, there are two NPCs that are unconscious but stabilized (by Aries) and all the other survivors are wounded with most of them being considered fighting off death. Aries, Mabon, and Timmins are all severely wounded and Timmins nearly died. He's going to need to rest even if magically healed.

The other named NPCs who survived the fight in Carnell are Atriline Barrelfinger (female dwarf), Jasper Johns (male human), Kibreana Whitbelly (female dwarf [stabilized but unconscious]), Lillie Frid (female human), and Urshor Balhana (male half-elf). There are 7 other unnamed members of the militia who survived the fight.

(In addition to Brutus, Gangrell, and Zofia Brae, there is one militia fighter and eight militia recruits among the dead.)
Caerth will use a charge of his Cure Light Wounds wand for each person he encounters that Kang finds "fragile" or "fighting off death". That means Aureus, Thorvid, Aries, Mabon, Timmins, Kibreana. I count 6 people; do I understand that right?
So far, I've let you guys debate about the items. It's really up to you to decide what you want to do with captured items. The laws of the Strandlands make it clear that those who defeat a foe, whether individually or in a group, are allowed to claim the enemy's possessions. (That assumes in a conflict that was sanctioned by the law.) So, while the PCs (and Aureus) have a right to the captured items, so do the NPCs that survived fighting alongside them. Lady Pendour will want to make restitution to the families of the NPCs that died (at the very least).

Those that fought with the PCs against Tarrak's horde do realize that they would not have stood a chance against the cultists and undead without the PCs leading the way, so they are willing to forgo claims to the most powerful items. They also donot want anything that is evil or connected to Necromancy. None of them would want anything to do with Tarrak's possessions, for example.

(Lady Pendour will insist that anything created using Necromancy be destroyed unless the PCs can convince her otherwise. She will probably insist on that for Spinereaver and any items/weapons that are profane/unholy, as well [assuming they can't be sanctified].)

Caprasia Panthera (the cultist bard) and a few other cultists also needs to be captured. The last time the PCs saw Lady Panthera was in the cultists' temple. The PCs never encountered the ghast cleric that Aries refers to as Anselm. (His title is Cleric of Works.) Aries also knows two other cultists by name: Amada Vandran and Granger Vexx.

He also tells the PCs that if the dead cultists are left to rot in the temple, they will rise as undead. This is effect of the Temple of Malotoch's altar and the altar needs to be destroyed.

As well, don't forget that both Sir Gareth and Quinten are still missing. Their prisoner, Vesh Trevil, is also missing. The militia sent out to find them (before the PCs left for the cave) reported back that they found the launch and evidence of a giant sand spider attack, but no one has been able to follow up since then.

The villagers are all really worn out and want to bury their dead before doing anything else. They've been through a lot. Remember that these are simple people who earn their livings primarily by farming or fishing. Rumors begin to circulate that some families are considering leaving Carnell for larger towns or cities.
I agree with Neurotic about collecting all the evil items and either sanctify or destroy them. We can share the rest amongst the PCs and NPCs.

Is Spinereaver evil? I'm not sure if it is.

Caerth really only needs a ring of protection (either +2 or +1) and preferably either that periapt of health or the headband. (He doesn't really need the headband, but I think it's cool.)

Taking care of the villagers' wellbeing is not something Caerth is good at, apart from some healing. He's more than willing to track down the missing cultists, however. But he would need a rest, because now he has almost no spells left.

Perhaps we should suggest that a shrine of some sort be erected in honor of the fallen and wounded?

Getting rid of all the evil bodies and destorying the altar are very important.
I think a shrine or monument would be perfect. 'To Overcome the Dark' as a sculpted statue depicting a farmer defending himself from a monstrous ghast, in the middle of the town (or at any destroyed building of significance).

Destroying the cultists' altar and preferably placing a holy shrine in its stead would be absolutely essential, too. I think we may have to make a decision about priorities here; destroying the temple first, or chasing down the missing cultists first?

Fun, high-level druid spells! :D

Wouldn't that fall under the hallow spell?

Do you have a specific divination spell in mind? Commune, scrying? Or do you thinking of using a Spell Compendium divination spell?

If you go with scrying, the PCs would have firsthand knowledge of both Eike and Xander but not familiar knowledge. But, they do have items that belonged to them, so Eike and/or Xander's Will saves will be a -4 to resist the scrying attempts. Phar still has Xander's spellbook and Eike's gear was being stored in the manor. He left without those items.

Caerth could cast commune with nature. Its range for the half-orc druid is 11 miles. He could also try to find out how Brutus died from the local plants or animals using speak with animals or speak with plants. There are plenty of plants located around the smithy where Brutus was found dead. There are also local stray cats, village dogs, and the occasional rabbit running around.

Mabon, himself, doesn't have any pets and discourages the dogs and cats from coming near his smithy. There is a tiny copse of trees (nine) that sits along the main trail through the village. It is very close to the smithy. Caerth knows that birds often nest in those trees.
Hallow sounds like the best spell for this, and both Maur and Caerth can cast it.

Caerth can try to locate the cultists with those spells. But again, he needs a rest first. Do we have the time for that?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I think we're out of emergency mode - it is no longer question of 'do we have time', but what do we do first
I'd go for Xander and Eike simply because they murdered someone who fought with us and the temple will not go away while they might.

And that would happen immediately after rest tomorrow (and divination)

Remove ads