No Longer an Interest Check - 5E Rise of Tiamat + Corebooks PBP - OOC

Envisioner

Explorer
I'd be interested in the level 1 game if you've still got openings, probably a rogue of some sort.

You'd be our 10th person by now, but what the heck, go ahead. We don't have a Rogue yet, so this will let me explore some other plotlines that wouldn't otherwise come up.

@ GargoyleKing: If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate you translating this information into the same format other players are using, for ease of comparison. The myth-weavers sheet is readable, but it has a lot of excess white space for my standards. Other than that, everything looks good. I hope Grease is less broken in this edition than it was in 3E, especially if it's gone down in grade (my term for "spell level"; a level 7 wizard casts Grade 4 spells at caster level 7). But at worst, I might nerf individual spells if they cause problems; if this costs you space in your spellbook, I'll make it up to you somehow.

@LowKey:
"1. You listed me as a outlander; TBH, that's the BG I was going to choose (and what I'm playing up), but everyone else chose it already so I went with hermit."

Woops, my mistake.

"It might simplify things for you so we won't have to decide on a "hermit discovery."*"

As a monk, it seems like you kinda should have something of that sort, rather than just being a basic wilderness survivalist. But it's up to you.

2. It will probably help to edit the first post in the IC thread and put a link to the RG at the top of it so everyone can find it more easily.

Sure, I can do that.

Envisioner

Explorer
Mornok and Grimnir both look good, I'll say approved and go ahead and begin a thread for them. Keth and other new characters can either join that scene, the way Bannor joined Ashur and Annaliese, or have a new scene started for them, as with Dumos and Robyn. The latter five are all in the same thread, since they're meant to meet eventually; the level 1 characters will get a different thread, until and unless I get them caught up (I may well not have to complete the whole 1-5 progression, I just want to play low-level characters until I feel comfortable enough to start bringing them up, and play through the better chapters of Hoard of the Dragon Queen rather than the whole thing).

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Thanks, @Envisioner for inviting me back in!

I'm a bit confused, though:

• should I make a 1st level character, or something else?
  • what group am I in, and what other PCs are in it?

Envisioner

Explorer
Make a first-level character. The sixth-level game has five characters already, that's probably sufficient; the 1st has two or three prior to you, with one more possible new arrival. So ideally this'll wind up at two 5-player groups, which can be reevaluated later when they get closer together in level.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
@Envisioner

I prefer the mythweavers sheet as I can update/track it as things change in-game and then I can link the sheet into my posts as a reminder.

Also, I did mention needing access to armor, prefferably scale as a character point for Mornok. Either I'll need to be able to just take a suit as part of my starting gear, or somewhere near to max starting gold for a wizard. (120 gp to afford armor, spellbook, warhammer and a staff focus. +10 GP for an explorer's pack.)

Last edited:

Envisioner

Explorer
OK, keep Mythweavers if you prefer. As to armor, I've yet to come up with a good idea for how to handle gear differently from the book; I get that most wizards don't want armor and therefore they don't get it for free, whereas clerics and fighters do. So I'm not trying to entirely torpedo your build, but I'm not comfortable greatly exceeding the amount of money a character normally starts with.

Let's see, a Wizard normally starts with a Dagger and a scholar's or explorers pack, plus the focus and spellbook which they non-negotiably need. Oh, I've got an idea which is pretty cool - we'll say that your focus and spellbook ARE your armor! While dwarves don't frequently use arcana, sometimes they do, so we'll say that some faction in the past created a suit of mail where the links or scales or splints, whatever, are also etched sigils which both represent spells and allow calling upon the power thereof. So with that concept, I can roll the cost of your spellbook (50 gp) and arcane focus (between 5 and 20 gp) into the armor, along with the scholar's pack (40 gp). That frees up between 95 and 110 GP; pay 10 for a shield, and you've still got more than enough to buy Chain Mail (or Scale Mail, which is cheaper but requires Dex +2 to get the same final AC as the Chain), and nowhere near enough for Splint (which costs more than twice as much for a single extra AC point). The dagger is just 2 gp, so you might as well keep that. We'll say that the armor was bequeathed to you along with a ritual that allows you to scribe new spells onto the armor, the same way you would onto a regular book. Since you way overshot the cost of Chain Mail, you can still keep something like half the contents of your scholar's pack; if you don't want to do the math of figuring out the gold cost, just pick half of the listed objects in the pack and you can keep those, I'll risk that you get a dozen or two extra gp off me. (Or, since you mentioned an Explorer's Pack, maybe you could just have that, since it's way cheaper...whatever.)

As to the Warhammer...the game stats on weapons are a little bizarre and I'm not finished figuring them out, but since the only difference between a 10-GP Battleaxe and a 15-GP Warhammer is that the latter weighs less (to say nothing of the Battleaxe itself being heavier than the Longsword for no reason when they're otherwise identical, and again the Longsword costs 15)…at the very least I'll say you can get a weapon with Warhammer stats for 10 GP. Maybe we can even work out something with the Mace or Morningstar, which are otherwise worthless; the Morningstar lacks Versatile, but this might have been some sort of mistake, since it's otherwise identical to the lighter and cheaper War Pick. Ultimately, if the main point is character aesthetics rather than trying to squeeze out an extra point of damage on each attack, I don't really care; we can pretend you have a War Pick that just looks like a Warhammer, does bludgeoning instead of piercing, and fits your dwarven weapon proficiency. We'll figure something out.

Envisioner

Explorer
Hopefully this is not too premature....

gnarlygninja

Explorer
Lyle Leagallow
Lightfoot Halfling Rogue 1
small humanoid, chaotic neutral

--------------------
Armor Class 15 (leather armor)
Hit Points 10 (1d8+2)
Speed 25 ft.
--------------------
STR 10 (+0), DEX 18 (+4), CON 14 (+2), INT 11 (+0), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 14 (+2)
--------------------

Racial and Class Abilities
--------------------
Expertise:At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves' tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies. (I chose Stealth and Thieves' Tools)
Sneak Attack: Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Thieves' Cant:During your rogue training you learned thieves' cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves' cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.

In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves' guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.
LuckyWhen you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
BraveYou have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Halfling NimblenessYou can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
Naturally StealthyYou can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you.

Feats none
Saving Throws Dex +6, Int +2
Skills Acrobatics +6, Deception +4, Investigation +2, Perception +4, Sleight of Hand +6, Stealth +8
Senses passive Perception 14
Tools Dice set, Jeweler's Kit, Thieves' Tools
Languages Common, Halfling

Actions
--------------------

Short bow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+4 piercing damage.

Short sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+4 piercing damage. Light weapon

Dagger. Melee Weapon:
+6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+4 piercing damage. Light, Thrown.

Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 1 bludgeoning damage.
--------------------
Background: Criminal
Personality trait: The first thing I do in a new place is note the locations of everything valuable—or where such things could be hidden.
Ideal: Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.
Flaw: An innocent person is in prison for a crime that I committed. I'm okay with that.
Bond: I'm trying to pay off an old debt I owe to a generous benefactor.

Equipment Short sword, short bow, 20 arrows, backpack, 1000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, bell, 5 candles, crowbar, hammer, 10 pitons, hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days rations, tinderbox, water skin, 50 feet of hempen rope, leather armor, 2 daggers, and thieves' tools, dark common clothes including a hood, belt pouch with 7 gold, a donkey

Last edited:

Remove ads