D&D 5E No more D&D MtG Premier Sets (Blogatog & State of the Game sources)

AFR apparently was very popular, but also way too polarizing.

Mark Rosewater basically admits not including Elminster in the set was a bad idea and that folks weren't satisfied with the flavour of the Tarraques mechanics

Flavour words are very popular, but they need to do a better job of making sure they aren't confused with Ability words like pack tactics.

MDFCs weren't as cohesive a mechanic between sets as Mark had hoped, but they were very popular (more so Kaldheim and Zendikar's especially then Strixhavens)

He also admits Kaldheim should have been 2 sets, which it should have been, it's an absolutely massive setting, especially compared to most MtG settings. I thought the D&D set should have been two sets as well.

Also the D&D set should have been more open to having previous fitting mechanics in the set like party (I disagree with this particular example for practical reasons), Adventures, and Level Up (I'd personally add Experience and Sagas and Historic as well IMHO.

since there will be no more Premier D&D MtG set set,and they aren't apart of Universes Beyond, my guess for their next apparance is a Commander Legends product where is the perfect sort of set to address complaints about AFR such as leaving Elminster and other beloved characters out, which D&D and FR alone has a ton of. I think this also means no D&D MtG merger in the future.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

1629229740584.png

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Being a little more serious now... I think future D&D products will be suplemental products, but Maro's blog and dev column are hardly confirmation of anything. Because stuff changes all the time on WotC, and corporate could mandate that every D&D set is premiere and R&D would have to accept it.

I pretty much agree with this. Even what Mark posts on his blogatog is changing constantly. There's literally a post from yesterday where someone points out he used to say that polarizing means a project is kind of successful, which he sort-of denies.

That's not to say Mark's not a good designer (he is), but that there is definitely some recency bias when it comes to analyzing project success here. They will likely have a very different view on AFR on year or two years from now. And I largely believe that if the block sold well, they'll be inclined to revisit the concepts in some form regardless of polarizing views on it.

Scribe

Legend
I like Maro. I think he's actually (and Forsythe) much better at design and development than they are ALLOWED to be.

That said, I'll never see them in the same positive light, after Companions. That was a watershed moment that proved that they are willing to sacrifice the game for novelty.

Add that to the disastrous FIRE design methodology and I just can't accept that they get it anymore.

Long story short, yeah money talks, and upper management talks louder. They will do it if they think it's financially beneficial.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases