D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It was early spring in Hap, with snow still on the ground. If you don't have cold-weather clothing on your character sheet, add it. You would already have needed it by now. (Don't worry about paying for it - if you didn't have it at the beginning, it would have been something you picked up in Daggerford on Isteval's dime).
Kalorn is not bothered by the cold. Or the heat for that matter (edit: because of his sword). If we are in the wilderness he's a decent woodsman.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Gromph Baenre is one of the three most powerful magic users on the planet, and as of the most recent book I've been reading, is also currently learning Psionics. He is learning it from an associate of his brother, Jarlaxle Baenre, a close friend of Drizzt. That's actually how he released the Demons, trying to mix magic and psionics. Until then, he was the Archmage of Sorcere, the Drow school of magic. After the demon fiasco, he fled the Drow city of Menzoberanzan and went to the surface, joining with those who were rebuilding the Host Tower. (Though, one of the main reasons he fled is that he quite literally climbed as high as a Male in Menzoberanzan possibly could, and even then he was considered "Just a Male". Even as, arguably, the most powerful being in the city, he was still "Just a Male." So he left.)

He's evil, but he's Lawful Evil and has no compunctions working with a bunch of do gooders if it'll get him what he wants. He mostly does what he says he will, but he is a Drow.

You know, if you decide to use the character. Which may or may not make me geek out tremendously.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think he was featured a bit in some of the early Drizzt's book (the homeland trilogy?)

Kalorn wouldn't want to deal with him just because of his strong dislike of evil wizards. He's already a bit on edge because of all the wizards involved, he doesn't want to add more!

The player is ... quite wary. While he's not a "hahaha, I will kill everyone because evil!" type of villain, and can clearly be reasoned with... he is powerful, he has goals, and he's willing to hurt others to accomplish those goals. With the long lifespan he probably has an almost lich-like long term planning and contingencies. He probably would *love* a dragon summoning item for himself - imagine what he could do with it! Involving him risks him simply taking it.

I think the rampage of a single dracolitch is probably too small potatoes problem for him to go "oh I can't grab that, what about the dracolich". If it was some kind of world shattering problem sure he would help - he lives on the world too - but just a dracolich? Nope, not big enough of a problem to keep him helpful.

Ah well, we'll find out soon enough!

Last edited:

Fradak

Explorer
Don't see everything in dark. Always look on the bright side of life. I'll show you:

tglassy told you the guy is Lawful Evil, so

1. He never lies.
2. He think he's a good guy, but in his own way.
3. As Dretchroyaster is Chaotic Evil, that makes them enemies.
4. The horn quest will certainly be a basic delivery quest. "Could you please bring this shining thing to my friend over there."

It's bag and tag, baby, bag and tag.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Well, Hmm. If that’s you’re definition of Lawful Evil, then no, Gromph is not Lawful Evil. Drow are traditionally Chaotic Evil. Gromph is just...not quite as “I’ll kill everybody because I feel like it” as the rest of his race. He’s still a Drow and still conniving and all about himself, but he has left his home and now lives among the “lesser races”, so for the most part he plays nice. I don’t think he cares if he’s a good guy or not. And whether he thinks the Dracolich is an enemy is entirely dependent on whether or not the Dracolich can help his plans, be indifferent to his plans, or will hurt his plans.

I really only said Lawful Evil because he’s a wizard and has an extremely high level of discipline. But I guess that’s not a factor, as all Drow have a high level of discipline, and they’re all chaotic evil.

In this case, I think he’s neutral evil at best. Still probably chaotic evil. Just not your typical “demonic rampaging thing” type of chaotic evil. Basically, he’s friendly as long as it is in his own best interest.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
He could be lawful evil and still be a liar. Lying is part of Drow life (a BIG part). People are a lot more complicated than the alignment system allows for. I assume that alignment is a best-fit label for your thoughts and actions, as opposed to a limiting factor. It's more a matter of why he lies and when he lies than that he lies that speaks to his alignment. IMO, anyway.

Fradak

Explorer
Guys, it's was a joke. Read it again. It will not be a delivery quest neither. Seriously

I was ironic about the alignement system.

Remove ads