sex vs. violence

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
I really don't see any "splinter group" that doesn't already exist coming into being as a result of the BoEF. There have always been gamers that run or play in low- or non-violent games and there have always been gamers that run or play in games with high sexual content.

And as someone else pointed out, "sexual content" does not necessarily meaning graphic descriptions of "engagements" between PCs/NPCs...it can mean nothing more than frequent references to random trysts with bar wenches, courtships with handsome bards, or long-lasting monogamous marriages between two characters. That sort of "sexual content" has played an important part in every game I have ever run (mostly FR D&D or Star Wars). No one at any game of mine, past or present, has gone into graphic descriptions at the game table but I can easily see where the BoEF will come in handy. Not like the PHB or DMG or FRCS, but as something I pull from the stack occasionaly to look something up and add a bit of flavor.

Oh...and my games will probably remain fairly violent as well. But, to paraphrase my mother-in-law, they're only violent to the bad guys... :)

hunter1828

SemperJase

First Post
seasong said:
I should note that when I say "sex in games", I am talking about:

1. Romantic entanglements, dramatic flirting, jealousy-inspired rages, lover's quarrels.
2. Dynastic tension, "children of" campaigns, marriage ceremonies, aristocratic obligations.
3. Ale and whores.
4. Divine conception, temple virgins, temple prostitutes, demonic seduction.
5. Bad jokes among good friends.

I don't think most people think of "sex" the way you have defined it. Romantic intrigue and flirting certainly are not sex. If that were the case, I have had sex with hundreds of women. I think very few of those women would say yes if you asked them if they had sex with me ;)

Getting back to the original question, I don't see there being two camps as Alish20 asked. There aren't enough people who want to group role play sex as being large enough to form a "camp". Maybe a splitter group.

Last edited:

Kilmore

First Post
Well, we already see that the BoEF has at least SOME audience. How well do you think a book of non-violent D&D would sell? Any idea what THAT would have in it?

seasong

First Post
SemperJase said:
I don't think most people think of "sex" the way you have defined it. Romantic intrigue and flirting certainly are not sex. If that were the case, I have had sex with hundreds of women. I think very few of those women would say yes if you asked them if they had sex with me ;)
Note: "Had sex" is a euphemism for intercourse. It doesn't mean the same thing if you take away the verbing and the "had". For example, "sexual tension" is not some kind of physical strain from intercourse - its something that can only happen while NOT engaged in intercourse. If you asked those women if there was sexual tension, and you were flirting well, they might say yes...

What is the line which, once crossed, becomes sex? At what point do you say, "okay, now that's sex in a game"? Buttercup cuts her games off at roleplayed seduction. Some folks, I'm sure, don't call it that until you can't describe the activity without dirty words.

Alsih2o was asking about the BOEF. The BOEF is introducing rules for pregnancy, finding your true love, using the D&D skill system for seduction, etc. So I am answering the question asked.

It is possible he meant to ask, "Is there likely to be a split between people who like to roleplay out explicit sexual acts and people who like to roleplay out explicit acts of violence", but that would be a split between a very small portion of the overall gaming population. Most folks that I know don't like medical detail in their violence anymore than they like detailed intercourse.

alsih2o

First Post
if it helps to clarify for everyone, when i say "sex" i mean everything seasong described, less than seasong described, adn more than seasong described. :)

anything sexual or involving sexuality. i think originally i used "sexually themed" because i was trying to paint with broad strokes. :)

Trainz

Explorer
alsih2o said:
if it helps to clarify for everyone, when i say "sex" i mean everything seasong described, less than seasong described, adn more than seasong described.

Now, following that clarification, am I the only one that sees the BoEF as a great tool to enhance role-playing sessions ?

I mean come on.... I sure as hell won't start describing sexual acts in great detail to my players. That would only attract blank stares from them, :eek: followed by an "Ooookayyyy...".

But surely, one can go over the "obscenity" that *might* be in the book, and use the rest of the crunch and give a new dimension to your character. I am surprised that one would frown and reject anything that would acomplish that.

Oh, and BTW alsih2o... love the hair. :D

SemperJase

First Post
Trainz said:

Now, following that clarification, am I the only one that sees the BoEF as a great tool to enhance role-playing sessions ?

From AV's press release, one will have to discard much (most?) of BoEF to get material to "enhance" roleplaying. I don't think most people look at BoEF as a serious attempt to improve roleplaying.

That perception is certainly based on AV's own press release.
But then we are still back at the wait and see argument.

I don't see much benefit in rules on pregnancy or even seduction for that matter.

Trainz

Explorer
SemperJase said:

From AV's press release, one will have to discard much (most?) of BoEF to get material to "enhance" roleplaying. I don't think most people look at BoEF as a serious attempt to improve roleplaying.
IIRC, the author gave an example of the mechanics where someone in a Inn flirted with a potential romantic partner, plus the benifits gained to some morale thingy that would serve him later... I was quite intrigued and interested.
I don't see much benefit in rules on pregnancy or even seduction for that matter.
I see a lot of benefit for seduction rules. That would enhance the role-playing experience.

Any rules-mechanism that is not uniquely focused at combat is a plus to have for role-playing experience.

Which makes me think, I MUST get around to buy that Tournament Fairs and Taverns book...

Last edited:

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
SemperJase said:

Of course, the press release is old news. The information being discussed on the Valar Boards goes way beyond that poorly written bit of promotion to the heart of the matter...and it is going to be a good piece of work, IMO.

Remove ads