• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tale of the Clueless - Chapter 1: On the Seas of Air [IC Thread]

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Vorastrix will gladly take directions to Bahamut's shrine and offer the priest his sincere thanks along with a tithe of a few gold pieces before starting the long trek back along the torus to the Lower Ward to make the meeting at the Friendly Wayfarer.[/sblock]

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
[sblock=Vorastrix]The priest gives you directions to the shrine. The area shouldn;t be too difficult to find when you have the time.[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
Vorastrix makes his way from the wide boulevards of the Lady's Ward along the curving torus back into the smog choked Lower Ward. The small platinum scaled wyrm darts through the streets, running on all fours through the crowds of grime covered craftsmen and leaping over rust colored puddles as he backtracks to the Friendly Wayfarer. Arriving at the familiar building in the early evening, Vor hops over the threshold and wipes his claws on the straw mat before leaping up onto the corner of the bar and greeting the staff.

From his perch Vor peers around the place to see if his newfound friends are there yet. Although he fancied himself a dragon, like his kobold kinfold Vorastrix didn't feel entirely comfortable on his own. He much preferred to find himself in a group of trusted friends with similar aims. Since having left the security of his party back in Faerün, Vor had been doing his utmost to find allies. He wasn't certain if this group had enough cohesion to stick together yet, but he could hope and try his best to make it work. The uncertainty of the situation made Vor nervous. Idly the small wyrm turns his head and begins to scratch the scales along his right flank with the tip of a golden horn.

Last edited:

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
Evening slowly rolls by and The Friendly Wayfarer begins to fill up with patrons Some you all recognise from previous days, others you haven't seen before. All, however, are creatures that are relatively common to the material plane - humans, elves, drawves, a few gnolls, a small group of goblins and even a pair of drow (though they quickly move to a booth, away from the noise and prying eyes).

As the members of your ad-hoc group slowly gather back at the inn, you spot a heavy-built man walking towards you. He wears apparel that is better-suited to a desert-climate than smog-filled air of Sigil; baggy trousers, a loose-fitting waistcoat that exposes his tanned skin beneath, and a thick silken sash around his waist. A large drooping moustache covers his upper lip and swirling tattoos are painted on his bald head. Large golden earrings hang from both ears and a pair of kukri completes the mans’ getup.

He bows elaborately as he reaches the table and speaks in a voice that, like his clothing, is laced with the syntax of desert-dwellers. ‘Greetings. Tjallon tells me that you are capable bloods in the need of jink… I mean money. Well, I have a proposition for you all, if you would care to hear me out.’ The City slang you have grown accustomed to hearing is refreshingly absent from his greeting, and there is a lightness to his words that you cannot quite put your finger on, like a fresh breeze surrounding his speech. In fact, as he approaches the table, you get a distinct feeling that the man is no human, at least, he doesn’t seem entirely human.

‘My name is Beni Al Gumain, and I am an independent merchant; an affiliate of the Free League, if such matters are of any concern to you. I have been entrusted to deliver an ornamental weapon of great value to my current employer – a Sheikh whose kingdom spreads throughout a large portion of the Boundless Blue. I seek capable persons to guard my ship and her belongings during my passage there. Tjallon has told me that you are not green to the art of battle and that you are in need of employment, something I can offer you. It seems as though we are in need of each others’ services. What do you say?’

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
It was a little awkward at first, but I think I'm adjusting fine. I appreciate your concern Thrumgall. It'll be better once we get some coin in our pockets. Mir says. She notes the time and says, Speaking of which, we'd better get back to the Friendly Wayfarer. Our meeting with Tjallon's friend will be starting soon.

At the inn, Mir finds herself appreciative of Beni's candor. He's one of the most Krynnish-sounding people she's met. She is the first to respond to Beni's proposal. Sounds fairly straightforward. I'm game, but I'll let my comrades have their say on the matter.

Ambrus

Explorer
Vor listens to the eloquent janni's proposal while watching his companions' reactions discreetly. If they all agreed he might find himself swept along with them or left behind alone. The later would be upsetting, but the small wyrm had never particularly enjoyed mercenary work; especially when it remained unclear what type of beings he might be fighting and for what reason. As much as Vor liked to have more gold and silver in his hoard, he wouldn't betray his ideals for either.

The little dragon flutters his wings briefly to get Beni Al Gumain's attention after Mir's given her answer. "Um. Excuse me sir... If you don't mind my saying so, Tjallon speaks well of you and your kindness towards him so I would hazard that you're a trustworthy soul yourself...." Feeling a little self-conscious, Vor dips his twin crests shyly as he continues. "but what manner of people would we be protecting your vessel from? And this Sheikh, where is this great kingdom of his and what kind of king is he?... If you don't mind my asking; is he a good man?..." Vor looks sheepishly around at his newfound companions, afraid that his questions will seem silly or pointless to them. "Is... Is he a righteous king?"

"Guard your ship and cargo? Yeah I can do that. I have a few questions though. How long will this trip last and how much money, err jink are we talking about? Where is your ship at? I haven't seen a harbor in Sigil."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Daytime: [sblock]Drota could understand their lack of enthusiasm, anyone who championed entropy couldn't be a terribly happy person. That suited Drota just fine; people with smiling faces and honeyed words were often liars, and the spare explanation of their philosophy suited her just fine. Taking advantage of their excellent deals, Drota went to take a look in the armory proper to pick up a few things. After testing a thing or two, Drota decided she was going to need something to attack from afar, if they were to be sailing on a ship. She couldn't swim, and if some creature were swimming or flying, she couldn't do a lot to it from afar. Her crossbow took a very long time to load, so Drota decided on a quiver of javelins. They played to her strength much more than the crossbow.[/sblock]

At the Friendly Traveler
Drota waited for a minute as her companions bombarded the man with questions. His proposal seemed straightfoward, but her own concerns were already being voiced. She remained quiet, regarding the man with cool amber eyes, waiting to hear his response.

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
'Well, my draconic friend, if I knew what i was guarding the ship from Iwould know how to avoid them, would I not? But, it would be bandits, pirates, elelemtals also. I do not expect much really, the area we are to travel is relatively sae, though it is best to be well-prepared. As regards to time, it should not take more than sixteen days, thee and back, twently if we encounter bad weather, which is always a threat, though not one I am uprpared for.

The Kingdom of Caliph Khalam Muktal is a peaceful one based on trade. It is relatively small, by Prime standards, and sparsely populated, but if you have any worries about serving a Tyrant or sepot, you have no worries there. He is a harsh ruler, but must'nt all who rule? He is benevolent also, however and you will see his nature when we reach his kindgom.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads