The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
For those trying (struggling?) to follow this thread:
  • Pizza is a metaphor for D&D campaigns.
  • Pineapple is a metaphor for bards, gnomes, THAC0, basically any specific game element thing that is a niche acquired taste. Often used in conjunction with the aforementioned "pizza" metaphor.
  • How someone prefers to drink bourbon is a metaphor for how someone prefers to play D&D.
  • New Zealand is a confused place, much like the American south.
We now return to your regularly-scheduled tomfoolery and shenanigans.

I thought New Zealand was a fake place (like Canada) and bourbon was a stand-in for Pineapple, but not quite so heinous (unlike pepperoni or non-IPA beers)?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Today while looking through a box in the basement for toggle bolts, I found the name of my next Halfling Rogue (maybe multiclassed bard) character intead:

1657571467959.png

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Maker's Mark is my 'mixing bourbon,' the stuff I like to put in my mint julep, whiskey sour, or other cocktails. It has a smooth, smoky flavor, it mixes well, and it doesn't cost a fortune.

My favorite 'sipping bourbon' is Black Maple Hill. But since it's almost impossible to find (and even harder to afford) nowadays, Angel's Envy will do in a pinch. The only thing I mix it with is an ice cube.

View attachment 253338 View attachment 253340 View attachment 253342 View attachment 253341
It continues to be a metaphor, you see. Can you spot the Spelljammer reference in these photos?
I do like Angels envy but find it marked up for little reason. I miss Eagle Rare thats the best stuff. Too bad the warehouse fell into the river :(

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I do like Angels envy but find it marked up for little reason. I miss Eagle Rare thats the best stuff. Too bad the warehouse fell into the river :(
Talking about markup: here in the Pacific Northwest, all the hipster elitists keep raving about Pappy Van Winkle (which keeps the demand, and therefore the cost, super high). Before the pandemic, I went to a bar called The Whiskey Library and paid $30 for a half-ounce of PVW just to see what all the fuss was about. So I took a sip and honestly? I don't get the appeal. I mean, it's fine. It's good, even. But it's not sixty dollars an ounce good.

Whiskey's for drinking. So as far as I'm concerned, if a bottle of whiskey has a price tag greater than $100, it's not a beverage--it's an I.Q. Test.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Talking about markup: here in the Pacific Northwest, all the hipster elitists keep raving about Pappy Van Winkle (which keeps the demand, and therefore the cost, super high). Before the pandemic, I went to a bar called The Whiskey Library and paid $30 for a half-ounce of PVW just to see what all the fuss was about. So I took a sip and honestly? I don't get the appeal. I mean, it's fine. It's good, even. But it's not sixty dollars an ounce good.

As far as I'm concerned, if a bottle of whiskey has a price tag greater than $100, it's not a beverage--it's an I.Q. Test.
If I could afford to drink Middleton, its all I would drink. I would save a bottle of Canadian "whisky" for people I dont like. ;)

Ryujin

Legend

As far as I'm concerned, if a bottle of whiskey has a price tag greater than $100, it's not a beverage--it's an I.Q. Test.
One of my Seattle area friends spent a year and a bit in Warrington, UK, and made several trips north while there. There was no way he was going to leave his carefully chosen stock there when he moved back, open bottles or no. With brokerage fees, crating, et al it was still well worth paying to have it all exported back to the US.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter

A secret: The recipe for Maker's Mark is very similar to the one for PVW.

I've had opportunities to buy tickets for various very limited whiskey releases, and I never have. I did pay graymarket/consignment prices for Westvleteren 12--and while I don't regret doing so I probably wouldn't again.

The Barrell whiskeys I mentioned above, though, are really hard for me to find around here for less than $100, and I don't feel stupid for paying that much. Different markets are different, though.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

As far as I'm concerned, if a bottle of whiskey has a price tag greater than $100, it's not a beverage .... it's a business expense.

Q. Hey, Snarf! What liquor tastes the best?

A. Whatever you're paying for, bud.

Remove ads