"The Marvels" - Teaser

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I really liked Black Widow, but I still wish they had gone with Dave Harbour's stated desire to do all of his dialogue in Russian with English subtitles. (Except for the beginning when he's still undercover.)

They are all perfectly capable of speaking unaccented English as well as Russian so speaking in accented English is a bafflingly character choice. I choose to pretend that they ARE speaking Russian and the movie is an English dub, but Dave Harbour wanted to do it right and my hat is off to him for that.
That would have been great, I wasnt aware they all spoke Russian well enough to carry through the movie

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ms. Marvel was my favourite TV Marvel thing until the finale. I hate that they had to make it another "oh no, we must save the world from imminent doom!" crisis. I was way more invested in Kamala's relationship with her parents and how they would react to her being outed as a superhero. There were such great stakes in her personal life that the Djinn sub-plot felt like a tedious distraction from what I really wanted to watch.

It was still good, but the finale felt disappointingly formulaic.
Marvel seems to get cold feet with all of their stuff. "Wait, did we remember to have 20 minutes of weightless CGI fighting at the end?"

I love that Nick Fury and Monica Rambeau aren't just talking to Kamala, but her whole multigenerational family.

This trailer looks fine, and all three Marvels continue to be well-cast and well-performed, but unfortunately it lines up at least 90% with the leaked detailed plot from a year or so ago, and if that's right, it'll be a rather unexciting movie, in-line with Quantumania, Wakanda Forever, and Thor 4.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This trailer looks fine, and all three Marvels continue to be well-cast and well-performed, but unfortunately it lines up at least 90% with the leaked detailed plot from a year or so ago, and if that's right, it'll be a rather unexciting movie, in-line with Quantumania, Wakanda Forever, and Thor 4.
They've got to stop telling Tom Holland too much information.

Quantumania and Wakanda Forever might not have been as good as their originals, but come on, you can't put them in there with Thor 4. That's just mean. So mean. So uncalled for.

Quantumania and Wakanda Forever might not have been as good as their originals, but come on, you can't put them in there with Thor 4. That's just mean. So mean. So uncalled for.
I 100% can and I will! < evil laughter >

Wakanda Forever and Thor 4 are absolutely 5/10 movies at best - I'd go with 4/10 myself. Are they 5/10 in different ways? Sure.

Wakanda Forever is reasonably well-edited, has a lot of strong actors, and some good performances, but it's ditchwater-dull, showed up how Ryan Coogler can direct 1-on-1 fight scenes but absolutely not larger-scale ones, and past the genuinely emotional beginning and post-credits scene, didn't really seem to know what the hell it was about, and had a metric ton of unnecessary and boring scenes. An absolutely enervating movie.

Thor 4 was a giant, extremely enthusiastic mess, which was the worst-edited major movie I've seen in decades (I hear there are worse but... it was bad... real bad). It thought it was funny when it wasn't. It thought it was clever when it was extremely dumb. It skipped the most important story to the emotion of the movie in favour of more screaming goats or irrelevant Valkyrie scenes (why was she even in the movie except because she's part of Taika's polycule? Hell worse why was Taika's character in the movie apart from rewarding himself?). It featured a grotesque cancer subplot, which was pretty insulting to people who've dealt with cancer, IMHO - why not make up a magic disease at least if you want it to behave like magic? But at least it had some actual energy and joi-de-vivre, which Wakanda was completely lacking.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The trailer isn't really all that appealing to me. I don't know if part of it is Marvel fatigue (I'm finding myself unexcited about most new Marvel stuff coming out) or if the youthful energy just isn't resonating. That being said, I'm super glad a lot of other people are excited about it, and I hope it does well.

Staffan

Legend
. It featured a grotesque cancer subplot, which was pretty insulting to people who've dealt with cancer, IMHO - why not make up a magic disease at least if you want it to behave like magic? But at least it had some actual energy and joi-de-vivre, which Wakanda was completely lacking.
The cancer plot is taken straight from the comics, although it is given some more depth there that I don't recall Love & Thunder giving it.

The idea is that whenever Mjolnir transforms Jane into Thor, it cleanses her of all poisons and other nasty stuff. This includes the medicines used for chemotherapy, so every time she transforms her treatments are nullified. But the cancer itself is Jane's own cells out of control, and as such Mjolnir doesn't recognize them as a threat.

In the comics, Thor's identity was also a mystery for a while, and Foster!Thor wasn't so much a "rival" of Odinson!Thor as someone who took over when Odinson!Thor was considered unworthy of the hammer. And of course, it's easier to give depth to a story when you have four years of comics in which to tell it instead of ~2 hours of movie which also needs to do a bunch of other stuff.

Remove ads