The Untamed Wilds: Caravan Campaign

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
San-Bolo clap at the end of Sheldon's song.

After Giodavi is gone Sannit says, "Food and a drink sound good. As for the work, how do we want to approach it? Raven made it sound like this hostile tribe were beyond reasoning with, but I'm willing to look for a peaceful solution. At the very least everyone should be able to either hide behind a shield or shoot back with something. Not only that but when do we go? Do we wait for the tanner to finish the armor or set out now?"

"Those extra days would cost us. We should set out as soon as we can, tomorrow morning," Bolo says.

Not surprisingly, Sannit nods. "I agree." He rises to find someone to take his order for food and ale.

Sheldon think it over and adds:

"As I understand what you've shared, the tanner should finish Bolo's skirt by tomorrow. The others will take a few days. I think we could wait just long enough to get the skirt. We can get the others upon returning. We also have not bought any shields or another mount, but I have not seen a livery, so I don't know about getting horses or donkeys."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sannit said:
"...Raven made it sound like this hostile tribe were beyond reasoning with, but I'm willing to look for a peaceful solution."

Merin nods, and quietly walks out of the tavern, back to Lyndha's shop. He asks her,

"My friend made a good point; the natives that we will be dealing with might not be hopelessly hostile, if we could find a way to communicate with them. You said you were a diviner; do your skills go as far as using way to decipher and speak unfamiliar languages?"

GM: Sheldon was not at the tanner's or I would role play this through. Raven was speaking of the hostiles to the southeast with the Hollow of Bones. Giodavi's main concern is a different group entirely. Those hositles are to the west and actively attacking hunting parties.

Lyndha replies very simply, "I wish it were that easy. Language is extremely complex, even for indigenous groups who have no definitive language. The best that you can do is divine motive, but with overt actions, that is enough."

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit replies to Sheldon, but addresses the group, "We can wait if you prefer. While we wait tomorrow morning we can go outside town and put some targets up for some archery practice. I want to get familiar with that crossbow I bought."

GM: Sheldon replies, "That is an excellent idea. I don't have enough coin left for a shield, but I will talk with the hunters I know while you practice."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor nods in agreement.

"It seems that I have inherited a bow as well, whether I like it or not; so I guess that I, too, had better spend some time practicing with it."

Merin, having returned from Lyndha's shop once more, overhears Tor's sarcastic tone, and punches him in the arm. To Merin, it is a solid blow. But Tor barely notices.

"Quit your whining! If these cretins won't get close to us, and we don't have a way to equalize the playing field, then we'll get cut to pieces trying to chase them all around."

Tor chuckles, and punches Merin in the arm, in a like fashion.

"Oww!" Merin exclaims, clutching his upper arm.

MacConnell

Moving West: Pursuing Rumor 1

OOC: Preparations are made and conversations are handled. The group sets up outside of town to practice its archery skills. Sheldon returns with a couple of hunters in tow, who lend aid to everyone's practice, including Sheldon who asked for this particular mission if he can borrow the bow he had given to Bolo.

GM: Everyone's Combat skill is increased by 1 point.

Indigo proves to be terrible with a bow. She can't seem to get the knack for it. Handing it back to Sheldon, she addresses the group in her interestingly alto voice.
"I do not seem suited to this weapon, but I do have an idea. From what we have gathered this groups attacks in constant motion, running in a circular pattern. For those of use who can return fire, if you move in the same direction of the group, it should keep their attention, each moving in pace. At equal skill, this would allow us an equal chance. I do not like chance. I will move in the opposite direction away from the group, circling around to meet them head-on. If I cannot meet body, I will attack for their bows, forcing them into melee."
OOC: By midday, Bolo's skirt is finished and the group decides to move out, traveling west for the rest of the day. One piece of parting advice given by the hunters was to string the food from the trees and sleep in hammocks, while the common pigs are not specifically aggressive, they root at night and will devour any food left on the ground.

Picking a small hillock south of the rivulet for the evening camp seems a suitable sight. After the hammocks are strung and the pack animals calmed, while a fire is being prepared, the burro and donkey are suddenly perturbed and agitated flicking their ears. It is more than enough to pique the attention of the wary party as everyone readies.

Launching from the trees are several large spiders, their leg-spread diameter making them the size of a standard shield.
Spider.png

GM: Determine Combat Sequence (roll initiative in D&D terms)

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
CS: Sannit: -5, Bolo: -5. For this fight San-Bolo will use their paired melee weapons since they don't want to waste arrows on small fast targets.

Sannit glares at the spiders, preparing his hand axes while Bolo unsheathes her knives with as close a look of nervousness as anyone has ever seen on her face. "Watch your backs," Sannit cries. "There could be flankers."

MacConnell

The Spiders Attack

Spider.png

OOC: No one is surprised but the spiders have an initial attack with everyone on the defensive.

The jeweled spider is a hunter variety. It does not make a web but hide in wait for its prey to come near then launches itself at the target from its hidden location. These spiders have dropped from the tree canopy above. There are 12 spiders in total.

The first spider lands on Bolo. Its fangs were unable to penetrate her soft leather vest.

The 2nd and 6th spiders attack Sheldon. The first misses, the second lands on his left side but is unable to make an effective bite.

The 3rd and 7th spiders attack Merin. Both miss their target.

The 4th spider attacks Indigo but misses.

The 5th spider attacks the donkey, landing on its back and sinking its fangs.

The 8th spider attacks the burro, but the little pack animals kicks and bucks at the instant it lands slinging the spider and several supplies away.

The 9th spider attacks Aust but misses.

The 10th spider attacks Sannit but misses.

The 11th spider attacks Tor but its fangs are unable to pierce his corded hauberk.

The 12th spider attacks Revan but misses.

OOC: Combat Sequence is as follows:
Merin (1st attack if not using way)
Sheldon (1st attack if not using way)
Tor (delayed)
spiders (1st attack)
Indigo
Merin (1st with way, 2nd without)
Sheldon (1st with way, 2nd without)
Sannit
Bolo
Aust
Tor (using way)
spiders (2nd attack)
Revan

GM: Everyone state intentions!

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC:

Merin will pull his old trick of touching the spider and attempting to paralyze it.

Tor is going to take a page out of Merin's book; he will attempt to strike the spider with his sword, while at the same time, channeling way through the blade, and trying to paralyze it.

Merin's roll to touch: 119

Tor's roll to land the first strike with his sword: 134

Tor's second attack: 132

Not sure what to roll for way paralyzation attack...?

Current Attacks 001.jpg

GM: Tor only gets 1 attack since manipulating way. I modified the sequence above.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Bolo lets out a shriek unlike anything the others have heard before. She jumps and shakes, lashing out with her knives and way.

Sannit ignores the one attacking him and tries to knock the spider off her back.

Bolo rolls 58 to attack. (13 roll + 45), Sannit rolls 138 (90 + 48) His concern about not hurting Bolo causes him to hold back and not completely obliterate the spider.

MacConnell

Merin will pull his old trick of touching the spider and attempting to paralyze it.

Tor is going to take a page out of Merin's book; he will attempt to strike the spider with his sword, while at the same time, channeling way through the blade, and trying to paralyze it.

Merin catches the second spider as it bounces from the ground. It tries to bend in and force its fangs into his chest, but it goes limp before it can do so.
[sblock=Paralyze]119 + Essence(10) + Mind(10) + Adhesion(2) + Knowledge(3) + Personality(1) + Collegiate(8)
119 + 10 + 10 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 8 = 153
153 - d100(50) - Essence(10) - Mind(6) - Confluence(3) - Personality(2) - Will(0) - Collegiate(3)
153 - 50 - 10 - 6 - 3 - 2 - 3 = 79(success)
.79 * Multiplier(26) = 21
Mind - 21 = 6 - 21 = -15 paralyzed
[/sblock]
The first spider, recovering from its miss, jumps at Merin's lower body, since he it currently holding another spider aloft, sinking its fangs into Merin's left hip.
OOC: damage = 2, body(10) - 2 = 8

[sblock=Spider's Attack]d100 + attack - defense
59 + 33 - 46 = 46
.46 * 5 = 2
[/sblock]
Tor holds guard continually facing his spider while concentrating to make his strike. The attempt to paralyze is moot. His sword breaks through the chitinous carapace splitting the body open, killing the spider.
[sblock=Attack]d100 + attack melee - defend melee
85 + 49 - 33 = 101
101% * weapon damage - soak
1.01 * 30 - 10 = 20
body(6) - 20 = -14 incapacitated
mind(6) - 14 = -8 paralyzed
essence(10) - 8 = 2 spider dies in 2 minutes
[/sblock]
GM: You will still get XP for attempting to manipulate way.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases