Things from my setting

Obly99

Hero
Indeed, exactly how I do in my campaigns. I generally will allow Adamantine and Diamond even to keep it's hardness but nothing less than that.
Eventually I think of putting the rod a little higher:
Orichalcum and higher maintains hardness against Divine.
Neutronium and higher maintains hardness against Cosmic.
Black Hole Matter and higher maintains hardness against Transcendental.
Strong Symmetric Matter and higher maintains hardness against Omnific.
Metempiric overcome hardness of Strong Symmetric Matter but not of Kuvatchim.

Eventually I think of putting the rod a little higher:
Orichalcum and higher maintains hardness against Divine.
Neutronium and higher maintains hardness against Cosmic.
Black Hole Matter and higher maintains hardness against Transcendental.
Strong Symmetric Matter and higher maintains hardness against Omnific.
Metempiric overcome hardness of Strong Symmetric Matter but not of Kuvatchim.
I'd actually push it up a notch, adamantine against divine, Orichalcum against cosmic, neutronium against Transcendent, black hole against omnific. I'm my opinion, as you can't really get those materials until those levels so there should be some incentive for those beings to use those materials. If humans could just break steel without effort we probably wouldn't use it.

Obly99

Hero
I'd actually push it up a notch, adamantine against divine, Orichalcum against cosmic, neutronium against Transcendent, black hole against omnific. I'm my opinion, as you can't really get those materials until those levels so there should be some incentive for those beings to use those materials. If humans could just break steel without effort we probably wouldn't use it.
It's a good reflection but a level 3 barbarian can break an iron sword with his bare hands (hp 5, hardness 10) without even trying too hard. I've given up on trying to apply realism and just go with pure mechanics to make ends meet. If those materials become common at that level, it is only fair that entities of that level can break them. As a problem it's not even something I feel too much about, because the entities that specialize in doing that type of damage are few (unless unique creatures like the one I'm building these days) and require a lot of divine slots to allow themselves to do it (if you invest so much will I even be able to give you some satisfaction?), to break objects however it will ALWAYS be more efficient to go with sunder with a weapon of the same material or better, I will hardly find myself with a Sidereal who uses Uncanny Cosmic Mastery [Breath] to break a wall of orichalcum, rather he will use his sword in turn of orichalcum with perhaps even percentages of neutronium.

It's a good reflection but a level 3 barbarian can break an iron sword with his bare hands (hp 5, hardness 10) without even trying to hard
Indeed, but that's a barbarian not a wizard or a npc class, likewise, I'd argue, a well specialized deity would be able to pass the 100 hardness of Orichalcum with ease if it came right down to it, likewise a well speced cosmic entity with Neutronium, the materials for the levels they're at, the levels I think they're at aren't really that strong tbh.
I've given up on trying to apply realism and just go with pure mechanics to make ends meet. If those materials become common at that level, it is only fair that entities of that level can break them.
Sure, as you said, go with pure mechanics, the level of hardness and hp isn't really that much, 1500 for neutronium is nothing to a sidereal, shiit it's nothing for a greater deity, much less Orichalcum.
As a problem it's not even something I feel too much about, because the entities that specialize in doing that type of damage are few (unless unique creatures like the one I'm building these days) and require a lot of divine slots to allow themselves to do it (if you invest so much will I even be able to give you some satisfaction?), to break objects however it will ALWAYS be more efficient to go with sunder with a weapon of the same material or better, I will hardly find myself with a Sidereal who uses Uncanny Cosmic Mastery [Breath] to break a wall of orichalcum, rather he will use his sword in turn of orichalcum with perhaps even percentages of neutronium.
Agreed on that part.

Obly99

Hero
Indeed, but that's a barbarian not a wizard or a npc class, likewise, I'd argue, a well specialized deity would be able to pass the 100 hardness of Orichalcum with ease if it came right down to it, likewise a well speced cosmic entity with Neutronium, the materials for the levels they're at, the levels I think they're at aren't really that strong tbh.
Divine don't overcome orichalcum in my mind and cosmic don't overcome neutronium.
Sure, as you said, go with pure mechanics, the level of hardness and hp isn't really that much, 1500 for neutronium is nothing to a sidereal, shiit it's nothing for a greater deity, much less Orichalcum.
We both do what we can to keep balanced something that just moves an inch and it explodes like a firecracker. Sometimes succeeding with more or less satisfactory results.

Obly99

Hero
Wll good Halloween. This year I bring a rework of the Nosferatu template from PF1 (Nosferatu (CR +2) – d20PFSRD). Even if we already have a Nosferatu template in the Epic (Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.), it is only a Super Vampire, it has little or nothing of Murnau's Nosferatu, with his diseases. This final version is a combination of the base Nosferatu with the Nosferatu template of Liber Vampyr of the Necromancer of the Northwest (DriveThruRPG)

Nosferatu (CR +3)

Nosferatu are savage undead who may be the progenitors of the common, more refined vampires. The curse of the nosferatu lacks the elegance and romance of its modern form, harkening to a forgotten age of verminous hunger and eerie powers. Granted immortal life but not immortal youth, nosferatu are withered, embittered creatures.

Their ancient sensibilities still reflect the cruelty of epochs past, and their age-spanning plots are untethered by the modern affliction of morality. Nosferatu resent common vampires (which they call “moroi,” an ancient term from a lost language) for their beauty, whereas those vampires scorn the nosferatu as bestial relics of an earlier age, best hidden away in remote ruins so as not to sully the charismatic reputation of “true” vampires.

They draw sustenance from blood, but most of their powers come from their ability to control diseases and repulsive creatures like vermin and rats.

Creating a Nosferatu
“Nosferatu” is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature referred to hereafter as the base creature). Most nosferatu were once humanoids, fey, or monstrous humanoids. A nosferatu uses the base creature’s stats and abilities except as noted here.

CR: Same as the base creature +3.

Alignment: Any evil.

Type: The creature’s type changes to undead (augmented). Do not recalculate class Hit Dice, BAB, or saves.

Senses: A nosferatu gains darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, and scent.

Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +8.

Hit Dice: Change all racial Hit Dice to d8s. Class Hit Dice are unaffected. As an undead, a nosferatu uses its Charisma modifier to determine its bonus hit points (instead of Constitution).

Defensive Abilities: A nosferatu gains channel resistance +4 and DR 10/ash tree and piercing (the weapon’s actual head must be made of ash tree; any ability that overcome both cold iron and silver [like a +3 weapon or an unarmed strike of a 7th level monk] overcome as well ash tree). It also gains immunity to cold and electricity and resistance 10 to sonic, in addition to all the defensive abilities granted by the undead type.

A nosferatu gains fast healing 5. If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, a nosferatu explodes in a swarm of rats or bats (50% chance of either), which mindlessly attack any creatures they encounter. Regardless of what happens to the swarm, the nosferatu’s body reforms in its coffin during the next new moon. Unlike the normal creatures of the monster manual, the rat swarm transmit the bubonic plague disease instead of filth fever while the bat swarm transmit rabies with their swarm attack (DC 11).

Weaknesses: Nosferatu recoil from mirrors or strongly presented rose flowers. These things don’t harm the nosferatu, they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling nosferatu must stay at least five feet away from the mirror or rose and cannot touch or make melee attacks against that creature. Holding a nosferatu at bay takes a standard action. After 1 round, a nosferatu can overcome its revulsion of an object and function normally, as long as it succeeds on a Will save (DC 25) each round to do so. Nosferatu who are directly asked their name must respond by providing the name that is written on the tombstone or marker on the grave that the nosferatu’s coffin is buried under. If the nosferatu’s coffin is buried in an unmarked grave or a grave that does not have a name on it, it must instead respond that it has no name. Reducing a nosferatu’s hit points to 0 destroys it temporarily, but not permanently, as it will reform at the next new moon. The only way to permanently slay a nosferatu is to expose it to sunlight. Exposing any nosferatu to direct sunlight staggers it on the first round of exposure and destroys it utterly on the second consecutive round of exposure if it does not escape. A nosferatu destroyed in this way does not reform.

A nosferatu cannot enter a private home or dwelling unless invited in by someone with the authority to do so.

A nosferatu’s appearance is so twisted that no one can look upon it and not realize that it is an undead monstrosity. Additionally, any animals within 60 feet of a nosferatu must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + ½ the nosferatu’s hit dice + the nosferatu’s Charisma modifier) or become panicked as long they remain in the area and for 1d4 rounds thereafter.

Driving an ash wooden stake through a helpless nosferatu’s heart instantly slays it (this is a full-round action). However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless its head is also severed and anointed with holy water.

A nosferatu who has not spent at least 8 of the last 24 hours in a coffin filled with (or buried beneath) dirt from the graveyard in which the nosferatu’s corpse was originally buried loses all benefits of this template except the undead type and the ability to reform. They still retain all weaknesses imposed by this template.

Speed: Same as the base creature.

Melee: A nosferatu gains two claw attacks if the base creature didn’t have any (1d4 points of damage for a Small nosferatu, 1d6 points of damage for a Medium one).

Special Attacks: A nosferatu gains several special attacks. Its save DCs are equal to 10 + ½ the nosferatu’s Hit Dice + the nosferatu’s Cha modifier unless otherwise noted.

Aura of Sickness (Su)
All living creatures that enter an area of 30 ft. centered on the nosferatu must make a Fortitude save or become sickened as long they remain in the aura and for 1d4 rounds thereafter. If they leave the aura and later re-enter it after the condition end, they must make a new saving throw or they become again sickened. After succeeding, a creature become immune to that nosferatu’s aura of sickness for 24 hours.

Blood Drain (Ex)
A nosferatu can suck blood from a helpless, willing, or grappled living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, draining 1d4 points of Constitution and Wisdom damage each round the pin is maintained. On each round it drains blood, the nosferatu gains 5 temporary hit points that last for 1 hour (up to a maximum number of temporary hit points equal to its full normal hit points).

Children of the Disease (Su)
Once per day, a nosferatu can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or 2d6 wolves as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the nosferatu for up to 1 hour. Unlike the normal creatures of the monster manual, the rat swarms transmit the bubonic plague disease instead of filth fever while the bat swarms and wolves transmit rabies with their swarm attack and bite attack respectively (DC 11 and 13 respectively).

Create Spawn (Su)
A nosferatu can create spawn out of those it slays with blood drain, provided that the slain creature is of the same creature type as the nosferatu’s base creature type. The victim rises from death as a nosferatu in 1d4 days. This new nosferatu is under the command of the nosferatu that created it, and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction. A nosferatu may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice; any spawn it creates that would exceed this limit become free-willed undead. A nosferatu may free an enslaved nosferatu in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a nosferatu cannot be enslaved again.

Dominate (Su)
A nosferatu can crush a humanoid opponent’s will as a standard action. Anyone the nosferatu targets must succeed at a Will save or fall instantly under the nosferatu’s influence, as though by a dominate person spell (caster level equal to the nosferatu’s HD). This ability has a range of 30 feet. After succeeding, a creature become immune to that nosferatu’s dominate for 24 hours. At the GM’s discretion, some nosferatu (such as a very old one, not originally humanoid or with an unusually strong bloodline) might be able to affect different creature types with this power.

Paralytic Fear (Su)
If a nosferatu confirm a critical hit with its claws attack, the opponent must succeed a Will save or become paralyzed by the fear until the end of the nosferatu next turn. After suffering this ability, regardless of whether he pass the saving throw or not, a creature become immune to that nosferatu’s paralytic fear for 24 hours. This is a fear, mind-affecting effect.

Plaguelord (Su)
A nosferatu can, with a touch, inflict a living target with one of three diseases: blinding sickness, bubonic plague, or red ache. Additionally, the grave soil of a nosferatu’s coffin is automatically infected with one of the diseases after a single night of being slept in by the nosferatu (chosen by the nosferatu at the time of the infection), and anyone within 5 feet of such a coffin every time it is open is exposed to the disease, regardless of the disease’s normal contraction method, until the infected soil is removed.

Finally, by sprinkling some dust from its grave into a body of water as part of an hour-long ritual, the nosferatu can corrupt it, causing it to expose anyone who drinks from it to one of these three diseases (chosen at the time of the ritual). This effect extends to all connected bodies of water within a 100 ft/HD radius, and lasts for 1 week per HD the nosferatu possesses. The nosferatu can perform this ritual once per week.

Regardless of the means by which it is contracted, the saving throw DCs for any of the nosferatu’s plague lord DCs are equal to the normal saving throw DC of the disease, plus 1 per two HD that the nosferatu possesses. Anyone who dies from such a disease has a chance of rising as an uncontrolled undead (the chance and type of undead is based on the kind of disease which killed them, see Table: Plaguelord Diseases, below) on the next new moon after they die.

Table: Plaguelord Diseases
Disease
% Chance
Undead
Blinding Sickness​
30​
Zombie​
Bubonic Plague​
3​
Nosferatu​
Red Ache​
20​
Ghoul​

Telekinesis (Sp)
As a standard action, a nosferatu can use telekinesis (caster level equal to the nosferatu’s HD).

Special Qualities: A nosferatu gains the following.

Spider Climb (Ex)
A nosferatu can climb sheer surfaces as though under the effects of a spider climb spell.

Swarm Form (Su)
As a standard action, a nosferatu can change into a bat swarm, centipede swarm, rat swarm, or spider swarm. The nosferatu gains the swarm attack and extraordinary special attacks of the swarm it has transformed into. While in swarm form, a nosferatu can’t use its claw attacks or any of its special attacks. It retains all its other abilities, counts as an undead creature, and can use any of the swarm’s abilities and defenses. It can remain in swarm form until it assumes another form or until the next sunrise.

Telepathy (Su)
A nosferatu can communicate telepathically with any creature within 60 feet that speaks the same language it does. In addition, a nosferatu can use this ability to communicate with any animal, magical beast, or vermin.

Empathy Towards Filth (Ex)
A nosferatu gains a druid’s wild empathy ability, save that it works only on rats and vermins. A nosferatu consider its HD as its druid level for this ability. Vermins are normally mindless, but this empathic communication imparts upon them a modicum of implanted intelligence, allowing the nosferatu to train them and use them as guardians (though it does not grant them skills or feats). Normal rats and vermins have a starting attitude of friendly toward the nosferatu instead of unfriendly. Empathy towards filth treats rats and vermin swarms as if they were one creature possessing a single mind. The nosferatu can thus use this ability to influence and direct the actions of those swarms.

Ability Scores: Str +6, Dex +4, Int +4, Wis +6, Cha +4. As an undead creature, a nosferatu has no Constitution score.

Skills: A nosferatu gains a +8 racial bonus on Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Sense Motive, and Stealth checks. A nosferatu always treats Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Sense Motive, and Stealth as class skills. Otherwise, skills are the same as the base creature.

Feats: A nosferatu gains Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Skill Focus (in two different skills), Stealthy, and Toughness as bonus feats.

Count Orlok CR 9

Human aristocrat 9/rogue (consigliere) 3

NE Medium undead (augmented)

Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +31

Aura sickness (DC 21, 30 ft.)

DEFENSE

AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 18 (+4 Dex, +1 dodge, +8 natural)

hp 126 (12d8+72) fast healing 5

Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +13

Defensive Abilities channel resistance +4; DR 10/ash tree and piercing; Immune cold, electricity, undead traits; Resistance sonic 10

Weakness nosferatu weakness

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.

Melee 2 claws +15 (1d6+5/19-20)

Special Attacks blood drain (1d4 Con and Wis), children of the disease, create spawn, dominate (DC 21), paralytic fear (DC 21), plaguelord (DC +6), rogue talents (charmer, fast stealth), sneak attack +5d6

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th; concentration +17)

At willtelekinesis (DC 20; 180 lb.)

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 18, Con –, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 20

Base Atk +9; CMB +14; CMD 29

Feats Accomplished Sneak Attacker x3, Dodge, Improved Critical (claws), PersuasiveB, Pestilent, Weapon Focus (claw)

Nosferatu Bonus Feats Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Skill Focus (bluff, diplomacy), Stealthy, Toughness

Skills Bluff +26, Climb +28, Diplomacy +30, Heal +16, Intimidate +32, Linguistics +19, Perception +31, Sense Motive +31, Stealth +31; Racial Modifiers +8 Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Sense Motive, and Stealth checks

Languages Bulgarian, English, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Latin, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Turkish, Ukrainian, other 4; telepathy 60 ft.

SQ convincing attitude, empathy toward filth +17, spider climb, swarm form

Attachments

• count orlok.png
    count orlok.png
    970.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Wll good Halloween. This year I bring a rework of the Nosferatu template from PF1 (Nosferatu (CR +2) – d20PFSRD). Even if we already have a Nosferatu template in the Epic (https://www.enworld.org/threads/custom-divine-abilities-portfolios-etc.197014/post-8670644), it is only a Super Vampire, it has little or nothing of Murnau's Nosferatu, with his diseases. This final version is a combination of the base Nosferatu with the Nosferatu template of Liber Vampyr of the Necromancer of the Northwest (DriveThruRPG)

Nosferatu (CR +3)

Nosferatu are savage undead who may be the progenitors of the common, more refined vampires. The curse of the nosferatu lacks the elegance and romance of its modern form, harkening to a forgotten age of verminous hunger and eerie powers. Granted immortal life but not immortal youth, nosferatu are withered, embittered creatures.

Their ancient sensibilities still reflect the cruelty of epochs past, and their age-spanning plots are untethered by the modern affliction of morality. Nosferatu resent common vampires (which they call “moroi,” an ancient term from a lost language) for their beauty, whereas those vampires scorn the nosferatu as bestial relics of an earlier age, best hidden away in remote ruins so as not to sully the charismatic reputation of “true” vampires.

They draw sustenance from blood, but most of their powers come from their ability to control diseases and repulsive creatures like vermin and rats.

Creating a Nosferatu
“Nosferatu” is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature referred to hereafter as the base creature). Most nosferatu were once humanoids, fey, or monstrous humanoids. A nosferatu uses the base creature’s stats and abilities except as noted here.

CR: Same as the base creature +3.

Alignment: Any evil.

Type: The creature’s type changes to undead (augmented). Do not recalculate class Hit Dice, BAB, or saves.

Senses: A nosferatu gains darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, and scent.

Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +8.

Hit Dice: Change all racial Hit Dice to d8s. Class Hit Dice are unaffected. As an undead, a nosferatu uses its Charisma modifier to determine its bonus hit points (instead of Constitution).

Defensive Abilities: A nosferatu gains channel resistance +4 and DR 10/ash tree and piercing (the weapon’s actual head must be made of ash tree; any ability that overcome both cold iron and silver [like a +3 weapon or an unarmed strike of a 7th level monk] overcome as well ash tree). It also gains immunity to cold and electricity and resistance 10 to sonic, in addition to all the defensive abilities granted by the undead type.

A nosferatu gains fast healing 5. If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, a nosferatu explodes in a swarm of rats or bats (50% chance of either), which mindlessly attack any creatures they encounter. Regardless of what happens to the swarm, the nosferatu’s body reforms in its coffin during the next new moon. Unlike the normal creatures of the monster manual, the rat swarm transmit the bubonic plague disease instead of filth fever while the bat swarm transmit rabies with their swarm attack (DC 11).

Weaknesses: Nosferatu recoil from mirrors or strongly presented rose flowers. These things don’t harm the nosferatu, they merely keep it at bay. A recoiling nosferatu must stay at least five feet away from the mirror or rose and cannot touch or make melee attacks against that creature. Holding a nosferatu at bay takes a standard action. After 1 round, a nosferatu can overcome its revulsion of an object and function normally, as long as it succeeds on a Will save (DC 25) each round to do so. Nosferatu who are directly asked their name must respond by providing the name that is written on the tombstone or marker on the grave that the nosferatu’s coffin is buried under. If the nosferatu’s coffin is buried in an unmarked grave or a grave that does not have a name on it, it must instead respond that it has no name. Reducing a nosferatu’s hit points to 0 destroys it temporarily, but not permanently, as it will reform at the next new moon. The only way to permanently slay a nosferatu is to expose it to sunlight. Exposing any nosferatu to direct sunlight staggers it on the first round of exposure and destroys it utterly on the second consecutive round of exposure if it does not escape. A nosferatu destroyed in this way does not reform.

A nosferatu cannot enter a private home or dwelling unless invited in by someone with the authority to do so.

A nosferatu’s appearance is so twisted that no one can look upon it and not realize that it is an undead monstrosity. Additionally, any animals within 60 feet of a nosferatu must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + ½ the nosferatu’s hit dice + the nosferatu’s Charisma modifier) or become panicked as long they remain in the area and for 1d4 rounds thereafter.

Driving an ash wooden stake through a helpless nosferatu’s heart instantly slays it (this is a full-round action). However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless its head is also severed and anointed with holy water.

A nosferatu who has not spent at least 8 of the last 24 hours in a coffin filled with (or buried beneath) dirt from the graveyard in which the nosferatu’s corpse was originally buried loses all benefits of this template except the undead type and the ability to reform. They still retain all weaknesses imposed by this template.

Speed: Same as the base creature.

Melee: A nosferatu gains two claw attacks if the base creature didn’t have any (1d4 points of damage for a Small nosferatu, 1d6 points of damage for a Medium one).

Special Attacks: A nosferatu gains several special attacks. Its save DCs are equal to 10 + ½ the nosferatu’s Hit Dice + the nosferatu’s Cha modifier unless otherwise noted.

Aura of Sickness (Su)
All living creatures that enter an area of 30 ft. centered on the nosferatu must make a Fortitude save or become sickened as long they remain in the aura and for 1d4 rounds thereafter. If they leave the aura and later re-enter it after the condition end, they must make a new saving throw or they become again sickened. After succeeding, a creature become immune to that nosferatu’s aura of sickness for 24 hours.

Blood Drain (Ex)
A nosferatu can suck blood from a helpless, willing, or grappled living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, draining 1d4 points of Constitution and Wisdom damage each round the pin is maintained. On each round it drains blood, the nosferatu gains 5 temporary hit points that last for 1 hour (up to a maximum number of temporary hit points equal to its full normal hit points).

Children of the Disease (Su)
Once per day, a nosferatu can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or 2d6 wolves as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the nosferatu for up to 1 hour. Unlike the normal creatures of the monster manual, the rat swarms transmit the bubonic plague disease instead of filth fever while the bat swarms and wolves transmit rabies with their swarm attack and bite attack respectively (DC 11 and 13 respectively).

Create Spawn (Su)
A nosferatu can create spawn out of those it slays with blood drain, provided that the slain creature is of the same creature type as the nosferatu’s base creature type. The victim rises from death as a nosferatu in 1d4 days. This new nosferatu is under the command of the nosferatu that created it, and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction. A nosferatu may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice; any spawn it creates that would exceed this limit become free-willed undead. A nosferatu may free an enslaved nosferatu in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a nosferatu cannot be enslaved again.

Dominate (Su)
A nosferatu can crush a humanoid opponent’s will as a standard action. Anyone the nosferatu targets must succeed at a Will save or fall instantly under the nosferatu’s influence, as though by a dominate person spell (caster level equal to the nosferatu’s HD). This ability has a range of 30 feet. After succeeding, a creature become immune to that nosferatu’s dominate for 24 hours. At the GM’s discretion, some nosferatu (such as a very old one, not originally humanoid or with an unusually strong bloodline) might be able to affect different creature types with this power.

Paralytic Fear (Su)
If a nosferatu confirm a critical hit with its claws attack, the opponent must succeed a Will save or become paralyzed by the fear until the end of the nosferatu next turn. After suffering this ability, regardless of whether he pass the saving throw or not, a creature become immune to that nosferatu’s paralytic fear for 24 hours. This is a fear, mind-affecting effect.

Plaguelord (Su)
A nosferatu can, with a touch, inflict a living target with one of three diseases: blinding sickness, bubonic plague, or red ache. Additionally, the grave soil of a nosferatu’s coffin is automatically infected with one of the diseases after a single night of being slept in by the nosferatu (chosen by the nosferatu at the time of the infection), and anyone within 5 feet of such a coffin every time it is open is exposed to the disease, regardless of the disease’s normal contraction method, until the infected soil is removed.

Finally, by sprinkling some dust from its grave into a body of water as part of an hour-long ritual, the nosferatu can corrupt it, causing it to expose anyone who drinks from it to one of these three diseases (chosen at the time of the ritual). This effect extends to all connected bodies of water within a 100 ft/HD radius, and lasts for 1 week per HD the nosferatu possesses. The nosferatu can perform this ritual once per week.

Regardless of the means by which it is contracted, the saving throw DCs for any of the nosferatu’s plague lord DCs are equal to the normal saving throw DC of the disease, plus 1 per two HD that the nosferatu possesses. Anyone who dies from such a disease has a chance of rising as an uncontrolled undead (the chance and type of undead is based on the kind of disease which killed them, see Table: Plaguelord Diseases, below) on the next new moon after they die.

Table: Plaguelord Diseases
Disease
% Chance
Undead
Blinding Sickness​
30​
Zombie​
Bubonic Plague​
3​
Nosferatu​
Red Ache​
20​
Ghoul​

Telekinesis (Sp)
As a standard action, a nosferatu can use telekinesis (caster level equal to the nosferatu’s HD).

Special Qualities: A nosferatu gains the following.

Spider Climb (Ex)
A nosferatu can climb sheer surfaces as though under the effects of a spider climb spell.

Swarm Form (Su)
As a standard action, a nosferatu can change into a bat swarm, centipede swarm, rat swarm, or spider swarm. The nosferatu gains the swarm attack and extraordinary special attacks of the swarm it has transformed into. While in swarm form, a nosferatu can’t use its claw attacks or any of its special attacks. It retains all its other abilities, counts as an undead creature, and can use any of the swarm’s abilities and defenses. It can remain in swarm form until it assumes another form or until the next sunrise.

Telepathy (Su)
A nosferatu can communicate telepathically with any creature within 60 feet that speaks the same language it does. In addition, a nosferatu can use this ability to communicate with any animal, magical beast, or vermin.

Empathy Towards Filth (Ex)
A nosferatu gains a druid’s wild empathy ability, save that it works only on rats and vermins. A nosferatu consider its HD as its druid level for this ability. Vermins are normally mindless, but this empathic communication imparts upon them a modicum of implanted intelligence, allowing the nosferatu to train them and use them as guardians (though it does not grant them skills or feats). Normal rats and vermins have a starting attitude of friendly toward the nosferatu instead of unfriendly. Empathy towards filth treats rats and vermin swarms as if they were one creature possessing a single mind. The nosferatu can thus use this ability to influence and direct the actions of those swarms.

Ability Scores: Str +6, Dex +4, Int +4, Wis +6, Cha +4. As an undead creature, a nosferatu has no Constitution score.

Skills: A nosferatu gains a +8 racial bonus on Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Sense Motive, and Stealth checks. A nosferatu always treats Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Sense Motive, and Stealth as class skills. Otherwise, skills are the same as the base creature.

Feats: A nosferatu gains Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Skill Focus (in two different skills), Stealthy, and Toughness as bonus feats.

Count Orlok CR 9

Human aristocrat 9/rogue (consigliere) 3

NE Medium undead (augmented)

Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Perception +31

Aura sickness (DC 21, 30 ft.)

DEFENSE

AC 23, touch 15, flat-footed 18 (+4 Dex, +1 dodge, +8 natural)

hp 126 (12d8+72) fast healing 5

Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +13

Defensive Abilities channel resistance +4; DR 10/ash tree and piercing; Immune cold, electricity, undead traits; Resistance sonic 10

Weakness nosferatu weakness

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.

Melee 2 claws +15 (1d6+5/19-20)

Special Attacks blood drain (1d4 Con and Wis), children of the disease, create spawn, dominate (DC 21), paralytic fear (DC 21), plaguelord (DC +6), rogue talents (charmer, fast stealth), sneak attack +5d6

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th; concentration +17)

At willtelekinesis (DC 20; 180 lb.)

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 18, Con –, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 20

Base Atk +9; CMB +14; CMD 29

Feats Accomplished Sneak Attacker x3, Dodge, Improved Critical (claws), PersuasiveB, Pestilent, Weapon Focus (claw)

Nosferatu Bonus Feats Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Skill Focus (bluff, diplomacy), Stealthy, Toughness

Skills Bluff +26, Climb +28, Diplomacy +30, Heal +16, Intimidate +32, Linguistics +19, Perception +31, Sense Motive +31, Stealth +31; Racial Modifiers +8 Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Sense Motive, and Stealth checks

Languages Bulgarian, English, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Latin, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Turkish, Ukrainian, other 4; telepathy 60 ft.

SQ convincing attitude, empathy toward filth +17, spider climb, swarm form
This is great, It's hard to quantify level adjustments properly though as you have a sliding scale of level adjustment. Initially i was like "Wow, this is way too strong for ecl+3" but, a creature Of Legend is only +2 so is Fiendish, Celestial, Huecueva, and Ghost, all of those are very strong, possibly stronger than this really, at least for ghost and of legend, so I'd need to see this in play, but, good job. 👍🏼

Obly99

Hero
This is great, It's hard to quantify level adjustments properly though as you have a sliding scale of level adjustment. Initially i was like "Wow, this is way too strong for ecl+3" but, a creature Of Legend is only +2 so is Fiendish, Celestial, Huecueva, and Ghost, all of those are very strong, possibly stronger than this really, at least for ghost and of legend, so I'd need to see this in play, but, good job. 👍🏼
Thx for the appreciation. Its not ECL (as a PF player I never really understood it) but CR +3, "THEORETICALLY" equivalente to the Dread Vampire (CR +3)[3pp] – d20PFSRD

Thx for the appreciation. Its not ECL (as a PF player I never really understood it) but CR +3, "THEORETICALLY" equivalente to the Dread Vampire (CR +3)[3pp] – d20PFSRD
Same difference really. But sure, technicality noted. ECL is when applied to a player or npc character, its mainly for calculating experience points and such. CR is a more broad and overarching term for just a simple CR adjustment to the creature. CR and ECL can usually be used, more or less, usually ECL is one point higher than CR, but really, you can just do away with ECL and just use CR adjustment, as it's confusing and redundant, I usually just use the two terms interchangeably.

Last edited:

Remove ads