TUW: Boga City

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Technical Post

OOC: Manipulating Way:
The concept of manipulating Way is a bit different than the classic concept of magic, which was derived from the idea of turning lead into gold. It is culturally ancient in concept, owing to the belief in primal powers and petty gods.

There is absolutely nothing about manipulating Way that the player characters do not already know. The talent is completely instinctual and requires no instruction, training, or guidance. All PCs know everything that they are able to do at any given moment, to the limit of their current skill ranking.

There is no mystery, no hidden secret, and no need for discovery. Any Player question is simply a technical matter and can be directed toward the GM as an OOC comment, PM, or LINE query. If an In Character dialogue is desired as a means of generating XP, questions should be directed toward Sheldon. The purpose of this GM character is to provide examples and clarify questions concerning scholastic or social tasks. If any concern in the matter of athletic or combat tasks should arise, questions should be directed toward Indigo. The stereotypical role reversal of athlete and scholar was deliberate.

Friendly NPCs who have the ability to manipulate Way will almost always be static in nature and limited to a single talent. Though they can be engaged in role play, they cannot be taught new talents. Hostile NPCs who have the gift are meant to challenge the PCs in a full gambit of talents commensurate to the PCs ranking.

OOC: Plot:
Every campaign is designed in such a manner as to require the PCs to be champions, heroes, or saviors. No campaign will be created to provoke PCs to be selfish, petty, or criminal. This does not, however, discourage personal gain or the acquisition of wealth, as those concepts are always subplots.

The purpose of the Caravan Campaign is to prevent the formation of a despotic rulership in Asylim. To do this, the antagonist(s) behind the plot must first be discovered, then eliminated and replaced. The subplot is to bolster trade for Southroad Fair and extend clientele for fuel oil and leather goods. The second subplot is to explore for rare metals and find a manufacturer for paranormal metal goods.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor is searching for someone to instruct him in the finer points of shield fighting. Merin is looking for a Martial Arts instructor, one who teaches a fast, hand-strike style.
OOC: He doesn't know it, but he's looking for a Wu Tong master.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Y 0: D 197-202: Doldrums 47-52: Boga City: General Observations

GM: With enough activities and curiosities to keep them occupied, the party elects to spend 5 days in the city, paying for lessons and visiting the local establishments.

Officials:
Unlike the common concept of bureaucracy gleaned from exposure to Asylim, the city officials, guards, guild masters, and foremen in Boga City take an active part in the daily life of the city. They are seen constantly about the city taking an active part in the daily activities.

Peoples:
The majority of the citizenry is comprised of Centrin, Aedaman. The next greatest number is Spiofthest, Faethrin, followed by Kozzog, Mhytres. Many other tribes are represented in lesser quantities, making the city extremely diverse. All business is conducted in Centrin, though several other languages are spoken in general conversation.

The Bazaar:
The Bazaar, which is centrally located in the city, the park, and the Codex is daily populated with pushcart vendors selling all manner of foodstuffs. Unnoticed at first, the Seekers come to realize that while an occasional bird pilfers some morsel of bread or seed, there are no mice or rats scurrying about underfoot, and no one is ever observed stealing from a vendor.

Weaponry:
About 90% of the male populace, when not actively working, carries some form of weapon, while about 30% of the female populace does so. Of those weapons, about 90% are some form short sword or large knife, though the occasional long sword, axe, spear, or staff is seen.

Clothing
:
Most Aedaman and Mhytre males wear woolen kilts, though shirts are of wool, cotton, or silk. Aedaman and Mhytre females wear woolen skirts with shirts of cotton or silk. Faethrins of either gender tend to wear robes. Some of the guards have leather accessories, but most armor is made of cloth, though the quality of the cloth is on par with the leather goods now being produced in Southroad Fair. No one in the city wears metal, like several of the Seekers do.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Y 0: D 197-202: Doldrums 47-52: Meeting of the Minds

A message was left at the desk of the inn where the Seekers are staying to come to the Smallarms Shop in the Mercantile District at the close of the business day.

When the party arrives, everyone is greeted by the Bajinin proprietor of the store. He introduces himself as Kwicker Knimblefingers and the Commissioner of Commerce. He leads the group into a back room and slides a set of shelves out of the way which reveals a hidden alcove containing a set of stairs, leading down. Kwicker takes a smooth pebble from his pocket and taps it on the wall twice. It immediately illuminates and he drops it down the stairs.

"I cannot do that for myself."

Once in the basement of the building, the Bajinin makes his way to another opening in the floor with ladder leading straight down. Once down on the next level, Kwicker addresses the party.

"I figure all of you can make light for yourselves, but stick with me. You can easily get lost down here if you do not know where you are going. We are headed to the Mayor's house."

Everyone realizes that the little man was not kidding. The sub-basement level of the city is comprised of a vast network of walkways and tunnels. Water can also we heard running and places are passed that go even deeper into the earth. Saemund specifically realizes that this underground system is being used by whoever is making the lights in the Library.

The party comes up in the basement of the Mayor's house. Kwicker taps his smooth pebble again and the light is extinguished. When the Seekers enter the Mayor's study, they are greeting by a Spiofthest remarkable similar in appearance to Zaelostrymiran, though obviously not as old. The elder Spiofthest is there also, as well as a Norikadian man who looks so much like Sheldon one might think he was Centrin instead. There are two other Centrin men as well, one Saemund recognizes as the Librarian. The Mayor offers refreshment and then introduces everyone.

"I am Sylen. I'm the mayor. Zaelostrymiran you have met and Kwicker who brought you here. The Norikadian is Slythe Ghostwalker. He is the captain of the guard and the Commissioner of Construction. The elder Centrin is Eldrige Hendelson, the librarian, and the other is Samuel Antithian, the Commissioner of Education."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit returns the greeting and after the Seekers are introduced, he says,
"Our journey to Boga City was not merely for trade, although we are sincere in our offers for commerce. We have been under pressure from Asylim to the south. Several members of our community have already lost their lives to Asylim's hired thugs, and all of our people are on edge. We did nothing to provoke this conflict, and in truth if we could avoid strife we would. It makes it hard to pursue our interests outside of our town when we worry about what happens when we are gone."

"We are not asking you to interfere directly, we can fight our own battles, but it would help our townspeople a lot to know that we have a friendly trade partner to the north. We are attempting to start our own silk caravan in competition with Asylim, a plan we came up with after our blacksmith was assassinated. We have the silk and the pine oil, and of course the pride of Southroad Fair is our leatherwork. Commissioner Zael has mentioned some of the guards would find our leather armor useful, and I would encourage all of you to find out for yourselves. We Seekers have personally delivered rare and difficult to acquire skins, some of the examples you can see us wearing. More than that, our group has been known to solve difficult problems with our unique skills. Are there any quests you need accomplished in order to prove our commitment to a mutually beneficial arrangement?"

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin's Memories of Recent Conversations said:
Merin says, "I agree. And we've already seen that the Maldrog exist in a closed-off, tight-knit society. A Maldrog smith is not going to leave Bergbaulager to come here. So we need to look elsewhere for a smith. And I think I know where to start. Bergbaulager is a large settlement, but because of the way its society is structured, it's like one, big, family commune. That's why no one wants to leave; they're all related and important to one another. We need to find a place whose population is comprised of people from all over, like a big, melting pot. A place like that would support a large enough, and varied enough, demographic to suit our needs. Ladies and gentlemen, I think the best place to look for a new smith would be Boga City. As for finding people to advance our training, I think we might find them in Boga City as well. What say all of you? Road trip?"

Merin's thoughts wander back to his initial reason for wanting to come to Boga City. It all seems trivial now, in the face of this revelation; the leaders of Boga City meet in secret, and all of them are accepting of Way, even if some of them are unable to do it themselves. Merin's mind races, alive with possibility: ~We have allies here. We can seek respite here.~ Merin is giddy, like a child who has been handed the keys to the candy store.

Merin bows, and says, "I am honored, Lord Sylen. And I am also pleased to meet your compatriots. I never imagined such a thing was possible. Thank you for inviting us here. I am completely at your service, and greatly honored."

Tor says, "I too, am honored to meet all of you," as he bows politely.

MacConnell

Y 0: D 197-202: Doldrums 47-52: Meeting of the Minds, part 2

Merin bows, and says,
"I am honored, Lord Sylen...
Sylen rolls his eyes.
"Oh, please, do not do that. It is bad enough that I had to create some titles for us just to appease the general public, but this will not be a monarchy or any aristocracy as long as I live. I am not some presupposing lord. You can all call me Sylen, or Mayor if it makes you feel better."
GM: While introductions were given in Centrin, the mayor responds in Ansylin. The Seekers can deduce that information has passed among the city's leaders, as the group's primary language would not be evident by appearance.

Sannit says,
Kwargrow said:
"Our journey to Boga City was not merely for trade...
GM: When Sylen completes his quick response to Merin, he suddenly looks over at Zaelostrymiran, who gives an almost imperceptible nod to him, Sylen nods back deliberately, takes a sip from his wine, and takes a seat.

Zael does not rise from his seated position as he begins to speak.
"It is good that you mention this issue with Asylim. It confirms a suspicion that we already have. It has been about 7 generation for the shortest lived tribes and only 4 generations for the longest, yet conflict a major power struggle seems to be emerging that is sending echos across the land. We have already lost Eastaboga. It is completely in the throws of revolution, being called the Rice Field Wars. I will not bore you with exasperate detail. The Empire of Eastaboga was a monarchy, whose leader was a benevolent man, generally concerned with the well being of his people. His son survived the attempt on his life and is with us in the city, now. Someone or a few someones managed to incite the people to rebel. Eastaboga is now a nation of slaves rules by a military commander and lorded over by the military. We have lost all trade with them. What we treasured most was their paper.
Eldridge and I both have sensed the power struggle brewing in the South. The fact that they would employ assassins is quite indicative of their designs for the future being less than beneficial to the populace. We do not know who or how many are involved. We also could not do something like march an army of soldiers to intervene as that would appear as an act of war. An act of war that would likely further the cause of the very people we would be trying to stop. Kwicker is originally from Asylim, he may be able to give you more insight
."

Kwicker does not sit. In fact, he does not stop moving. Not only does he walk about the room, he also continually plays with a knife, unconsciously, in his right hand while drinking from a mug in his left. His total height doesn't even reach 3/4 of the towering heights of Tor or Saemund. His skin is a light charcoal and his long hair, coffee brown.
"I am from Asylim. I think a lot of Bajinin come from there. Not only am I from Asylim, I was a member of the Assassins' Guild, an organization one does not simply leave. Near 20 years ago, already on the verge of my impending insanity, I came here to see how much havoc I could reek before I died."
He laughs.
"Well, I am still here, quite a change of events, and Zael has managed to stave off my insanity. As it turns out, I have quite a gift for number, not just throwing weapons. Anyway, Contadino Cotone is the oldest Magister. He really is a good guy. He cares about the people and about trade. Molo Pesce, on the other hand, who I also know, is anything but that. He is a killer. I think he is actually the head of my former Guild. The other Magisters are all too young. I do not know them. What I can tell you is that in order for the power shift to work, the people behind it will need to take out Cotone. Until he is out of the way, they will not succeed."

Kwargrow said:
"We are attempting to start our own silk caravan in competition with Asylim. We have the silk and the pine oil, and of course the pride of Southroad Fair is our leatherwork.
Slythe Ghostwalker is short for a Norikadian, but those features are too distinctive to miss. He stands and touches Kwicker's right wrist. Even in such simple movements, the competence of his battle prowess is evident. The Bajinin puts on a sheepish expression and puts away the knife. Slythe makes a point to shakes everyone's hand.
"I do not speak Ansylin, but I understand that Centrin is okay too. Word about your armor got to me rather quickly. It is truly something to see for oneself, and by what I am also hearing, the craftsmen of Southroad Fair have even improved their product. The reptilian hide alone would be worth a fortune. Those metal plates, though, too heavy for me, not my taste. Having seen this with my own eyes, I will let my soldiers know that it would be worth the trip to Southroad Fair. Your carpenters are better than ours, too. I really need to get down there myself. We may need to specifically hire some carpenters when we get ready to make the boats we will be needing once the canal system is finished."

Kwargrow said:
"Are there any quests you need accomplished in order to prove our commitment to a mutually beneficial arrangement?"
Sylen begins again.
"You had mentioned a burden of proof. I have no need of such. I can not convey in words my amazement and enjoyment at seeing a group of Benders so young to portray such benevolence. So few individuals have retained the gift after The Sundering, and those that did all seem to be petty and malevolent, furthering the populace's natural fear of the supernatural. All of us here, except Kwicker, can manipulate Way, just as I can sense that all of you can. Our specializations are all a bit different. Samuel and I are what you would call a kineticists, our particularity is aberrations. Zael is the hermeticist. Eldridge is a Diviner, and Slythe is a Champion of Light, which is something of the theologies. Our longevity at its use is the reason you cannot sense such from us. As your talent grows, so will your ability to conceal it. It will become completely subconscious. As you can sense each other, you will not always realize a lesser adept will not be able to do so. I hope you always choose to put such gifts to good use."

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund steps forward, gives a slight bow of his head.
"I am Saemund, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am not one for lengthy orations, as I am not eloquent or very diplomatic. Please do not take my silence for arrogance or aloofness. I am happy with the prospect of allying with your beautiful city. Although your Captain pacing about twirling his blade does make one nervous... (Saemund unconsciously moves his hand to his axe)

Saemund nods toward the commissioners, "a pleasure gentlemen" then steps back...giving Sannit the center stage.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
It is bad enough that I had to create some titles for us just to appease the general public

Sannit nods with a chuckle and says, "I got stuck with 'Minister of Foreign Relations' and my only crime is that I talk a little more than the rest of the Seekers."

I am from Asylim

San-Bolo addresses Kwicker: "Most of our group comes from the old silk caravan, which was disbanded violently. In the new caravan that we passed on the way here, some of the old caravan members are still working, collared like animals and kept in servitude by threat to their loved ones back in Asylim. In order to free our old friends to follow their own lives instead of the greed of the Magisters, I am forming a plan to sneak into Asylim and save the prisoners. Would their families be kept in a single location, or would they imprison them in their homes?"

redraider629

Explorer
Vadin has been listening in the corner intently. After all has been said he walks out and introduces himself, "My name is Vadin. It is a pleasure to meet all of you, and appreciate the hospitality." Looking at Kwicker, and then hearing Saemond, he laughs and says, "I can tell I am going to like Kwicker." He then listens to hear if Kwicker has an answer to San-Bolo's question.

Remove ads