TUW: The Steel Trade [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin is thoughtful for a few moments, before speaking: "The inhabitants didn't leave in haste? Interesting. If that is so, then there probably wasn't an immediate danger, but rather, some other unstable element that would have been dangerous, or perhaps merely dis-advantageous over a long period of time. In any event, I'd be willing to bet that the answers we seek are inside the mine. What say the rest of you? Sheldon? Indigo? Sannit?"

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit replies, "I would like to search the ground level buildings first before we explore the mine."

Bolo with Turtle at her side rejoins the group.

Turtle looks around at the strange place and takes a good sniff. Are these people homes? He has never seen them made out of rock before.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 111: The Mining Houses

Everyone on the south side of the stream moves across the bridge to where Bolo and Indigo await with the animals. There are more dwellings on that side. The houses are all cleaned of the original inhabitants' belongings, other than a few trivial items that seem abandoned as well rather than forgotten. Small animals have taken residence and quickly flee at the approach of people. Everything indicates a complete move, perhaps several years past.

Since evening is approaching and the party is somewhat tired from a day's travel, it is decided to make camp in one of the structures and investigate the mine tomorrow when fully rested.

GM: The night air is significantly cooler. The party has never ventured this high into the mountains, but it seems peaceable.

During the middle of the night, a strange sound wakes everyone. Some falling rock or other such was instinctively expected, but the ground vibrated slightly and then it sounded as if the mountain itself took in a breath and sighed.

The sound was not repeated and after some investigation, the members, sensing no danger, return to their sleep. Just before dawn, the exact thing happens again. Being close to the usual rising time, everyone is now wide awake. The pack animals seem unperturbed but Turtle and Myth are inquisitive of the strange sound as well.

Myth having the best hearing, bumps Indigo and nods across the stream toward the mine.

Indigo scratches Myth behind his ears, then takes in a deep breath, stretching.
"Myth is indicating that the sound did indeed come from that mine opening."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor nods, saying, "That's how it sounded to me, also. I think Merin is correct, we need to check out the mine."

Merin is quick to add, "Perhaps only one or two of us should investigate; I don't like the idea of all of us somehow becoming trapped down there. I think the lightest and fastest of us should check it out. I volunteer to be one of the two. Sheldon, are you up to being the second?"

redraider629

Explorer
Vadin responds to Merin "I agree, there is no need for all of us to go down and get trapped." Vadin will stand watch by the mine entrance while two of the faster members investigate

MacConnell

Day 112: The Mouth of the Mine

Merin is quick to add,
"Perhaps only one or two of us should investigate; I don't like the idea of all of us somehow becoming trapped down there. I think the lightest and fastest of us should check it out. I volunteer to be one of the two. Sheldon, are you up to being the second?"
GM: Standing at the mouth of the mine in the pre-dawn light, it is obvious that Tor and Saemund would have to walk stooped over even to enter that worked opening. It leads to reason that this would become worse for the two. Even Vadin feels a bit tall. Of the rest of the party, Merin being the tallest at 6'2", there appears to be no issue.

Sheldon offers -
"I could light it up, and we could make a quick trip in. What do the rest of you think?"

OOC: GM NOTE:
Just so everyone will know, Vadin is the fastest character. His cumulative Motility is 14, which is 1 point higher than Indigo.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit asks the group, "We're willing to go in if the rest of you are, but should we use Way to sense for metals and minerals to determine what kind of mine this is?"

While the other Seekers debate Bolo studies the architecture of the buildings, attempting to determine how they were put together for possible future use.

As a noticeable change Turtle stays by Sannit's side, ready to investigate the mine. He couldn't call himself a bear if he was scared of a little hole in the ground.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Day 112: Investigating the Mine

While the other Seekers debate Bolo studies the architecture of the buildings, attempting to determine how they were put together for possible future use.
GM: The construction is simple. Natural stones were roughly squared and stacked. Each individual piece is heavy enough to stay in place so that mortar, which would be difficult to manufacture with the given soil, was not used. The wooden beams are fitted into slots. Part of each structure is carved into the rock face. The part that is not is roofed with a sort of thatch. The thatch is mostly useless after such length of unattended time.

Sannit asks the group, "We're willing to go in if the rest of you are, but should we use Way to sense for metals and minerals to determine what kind of mine this is?"

As a noticeable change Turtle stays by Sannit's side, ready to investigate the mine. He couldn't call himself a bear if he was scared of a little hole in the ground.
GM: The mine, at this point, is wide enough to walk 2 abreast.

Once inside the mine, Sheldon creates an area of light around himself.
"I will stand in the middle of the group. I will need to concentrate to move the illumination with use. I will let you know when I am tiring. The others of you will need to divine for metal or stone."

GM: Sensing for metals produces trivial results for iron. Anything usable has been mined. Some of the offshoots indicate chromium, molybdenum, and titanium, but everything is faint.

GM: The mine is enormous. There are offshoots and branches in all directions, most of which are crawl spaces. The main path is obvious. It is decided, for the time being at least while others wait outside, that the smaller paths be ignored.

About 50 paces into the mountain, the group comes upon a long dead corpse. It is practically mummified. It is face down with its head pointed toward the mouth. Its clothing has mostly deteriorated away, a miners pick is still grasped in its extended right hand, a kind of torch in its left. All indications are that this person fell forward and died of no apparent injury. The miner's pick is perfectly functional and appears to be of quality manufacture.

Searching the immediate area more thoroughly, undisturbed tracks indicate that this male Mhytre was struggling to walk for some distance before collapsing.

Traveling farther in the main path descends markedly. It can be seen up ahead that there is a carved bore taking the mine directly down deeper. Before the party can continue, Turtle pushes to the front, runs ahead a few step then turns to face the group, growling.

Turtle rubs his nose a few times, staggers, then falls over playing dead. He repeats the entire process. It seems fairly obvious what he is doing. Bolo clarifies that Turtle's sense of smell is much greater than their own. Whatever he is smelling it will prove fatal and he does not wish us to continue forward.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit nods and says, "Turtle's nose is enough to convince me. I think we have our answer as to why this place was abandoned, and since we detected nothing worth digging for I'm ready to leave." On their way out of the mine San-Bolo will stop to pick up the corpse of the Mhytre and move it to the mausoleum, placing it on one of the shelves with its kin. "And in return for that favor," Sannit declares to the other Seekers, "I'm keeping the pickaxe."

Remove ads