TUW: The Steel Trade [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin tells the other Seekers,
Freeing the prisoners would be like putting lipstick on a pig, or attempting to polish a turd. We need to address the root of the problem: We need to kill Saucy Drip, and we need help from a rival Magister, who would be willing to free them as a show of grattitide; because whatever rival we choose as our ally will inherit Saucy Drip’s estate and business interests.”

Tor nods solemnly in agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Tellerian Hawke said:
Merin tells the other Seekers, “Freeing the prisoners would be like putting lipstick on a pig, or attempting to polish a turd."
Sannit chuckles at Merin's choice of words. "I appreciate your opinion, brother, but I fear merely killing Saucy will only invite another to take his place. Also the other magisters might see us as a threat to be eliminated, and we might multiply our enemies. Yet, if we destroy Saucy's authority, the very fear that others have in him, such as poor Clauz, then when we kill Saucy it will seem, appropriately, that he brought his doom on himself. Taking away the silk caravan from him and finding a way to free those he has oppressed, I think, will do great harm to his reputation and semblance of power. I think one thing we can agree on is that we must make a journey to Asylim to see what we are truly up against."

Bolo says, "It does not surprise me to discover that these collars have been manipulated with Way. It seems it is a common trick of those in power to heap fear and loathing on the very things they use to gain an advantage."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sannit said:
"I appreciate your opinion, brother, but I fear merely killing Saucy will only invite another to take his place..."

Merin answers with a wry grin, "That's precisely my intent. If we are perceived as trying to take over / acquire Saucy's interests, we WILL be seen as a threat. But if we're just some people he pissed off, who end up killing him in retaliation for personal reasons, then we will be perceived as useful, especially if we make it easy for the given person to step in and take over. And if we make it known that elimination of Saucy is our goal, and that we are not interested in taking his place, I'm sure that the rival in question would have no problem freeing a few slaves as a token of their gratitude. We are, in a sense, the perfect weapon; outsiders who can kill without causing a disturbance to the order of things. I don't care that the Magistrates are less-than-honorable people; I don't want to clean up Asylim's corrupt regime. I just want my friends out of harm's way, and I want Southroad Fair to prosper and grow. The Magistrates can have Asylim; indeed, they are welcome to it. I am not a Saint, nor a Savior, nor do I care to be."

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit nods but it is clear that Merin's words did not sway him. "The rest of you will have to decide this tie-breaker," he says. "Do we try to kill Saucy directly or do we undermine his position first? We will abide by group decision no matter what we decide."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sannit nods but it is clear that Merin's words did not sway him. "The rest of you will have to decide this tie-breaker," he says. "Do we try to kill Saucy directly or do we undermine his position first? We will abide by group decision no matter what we decide."
Sheldon, who has been listening intently to the exchange, runs his left hand through his hair pulling it back from his face.
"As to our involvement to Saucy Drip's fate, it is too early to determine if we should kill him or discredit him. We are going to need more information to truly know what our best option is. At this point, we do not know what sway he might have with the other Magisters, or if there is any kind of a rift between any of them that we might be able to exploit."

Indigo rubs her thumbs against the forefingers of each hand. When Sheldon pauses, she adds,
"We need to wait for the caravan to depart. We need to be seen around town until it leaves. The fact that we are dealing with someone who has more knowledge of Way lines than we do concerns me. We need to speak with Giodavi and Clavo to gather everything that they know about the Magisters before we head toward Asylim."

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Tor nods,
I’d also like to know why the caravan merchants have been marked as criminals; what was their crime? Saemund, what are your thoughts?

Saemund looks at Tor... Men of small minds don't need a reason to enslave the weak and helpless. Surely their crimes were contrived or minimal. I'm leaning toward the idea that their enslavement is a ruse. Necessary only to get Ansylim military forces into Southroad Fair. I am of the opinion that if anything happens to anyone in the caravan while they are here it will give Ansylim the excuse it's looking for to send a larger military forces. If we are to intervene it must appear to be an act of brigands.

Also, if we are to assassinate Saucy Drip might I suggest a complete takedown of his household? It would be easier to take apart his financial interests thereby ruining him personally and his credability with the other magisters. They would see him as unable to handle his affairs.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit runs his hands through his hair in a manner that shows his frustration. "Very well, we will play the docile little town people until the caravan leaves. We will consult with Giodavi and Clavo to determine how best to strike back at Saucy, but I will insist we find some way to retaliate. First murder and now enslaving people we know. If we do not stand against this, then no one will."

Bolo adds, "I wonder if there is some way to study what was done to the slave collars without harming the people that wear them. Perhaps Lyndha will know."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sannit said:
“...We will consult with Giodavi and Clavo to determine how best to strike back at Saucy, but I will insist we find some way to retaliate. First murder and now enslaving people we know. If we do not stand against this, then no one will."

Merin nods, “My brother, we may disagree on the exact methodology, but with regard to the fact that Saucy Drip must not go unpunished / must be dealt with, we are in complete accord. Well spoken.”

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: Day 158: THe Boar's Head

That evening while the Seekers are enjoying their meal at the Boar's Head, the captain of the guard and his lieutenant both enter the tavern. The Seekers are in their usual place and it so happens that Clavo is seated at a table on the the floor by himself. When the captain enters, Clavo sets down his mug of Pine Vine Mellow and stands.

"Well, Captain Marstoni. I would think you would be a Commander by now. Who did you anger to be remanded to baby sitting duty."

Marstoni responds, "Clavo, in the flesh I thought you had died."

Clavo gives a phony laugh. "That is a lie, and I know it. Let me tell you what else I know. Those caravaners are not the least bit criminal, yet they are collared like some condemned murderers. Sit down. Have a drink. Tell me another lie."

Captain Marstoni and his lieutenant both move over to Clavo's table. The lieutenant sits. Marstoni looks over toward where the Seekers are sitting and asks loudly enough to be heard, "Those young people seated over in such a place of prominence, they came out to meet the caravan as we were approaching. They seem quite young to be throwing such weight. Who are they?"

Clavo gives the man a flat look and a straight answer. "Those are the Southroad Seekers."

The Captain puts his hand on his sword and states loudly, "By the authority of the Ansylin Magistry, I am to arrest the Southroad Seekers and return them to Asylim."

The entire tavern goes completely silent.

Clavo laughs loudly and slams his mug back down. "Sit down Marstoni! I will crack your skull with this chair before your sword clears that scabbard. Even if Asylim had any authority here, you take a good look at those young people over there. You look at their gear. You look at their poise. What do you think you are looking at, some rich twits out of Boga City buying their way south? Better think again. They earned that armor. They earned their reputation.

And since you have decided to show yourself like some pompous donkey, I will add a few more questions. You and your 10 marshals may be expert swordsmen. I saw you surveying the town. There are enough archers here that you and your men would be slaughtered. I know you have realized this. Do you know all your men? Can you vouch for all of them
?"

Marstoni takes his hand from his sword and nods.

Clavo continues, "So one of your so called criminal caravaners is the real thing. One of them is an assassin. Mark my words. I will bet you your year's wage he suffers the same fate as the last one, and the Southroad Seekers were not even her when the last one was killed."

Marstoni sits, finding nothing to say.

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund's hand tightens on his axe when the captain attempts to arrest them but releases it when things appear to calm down. He decides not to be the one to address the captain first... He isn't much for backing down from a challenge.

Remove ads