D&D 5E Twilight Cleric - temp hp question

I know that temp hit points don't stack, but I'm not clear on this:

There's a fighter standing in the divine aura of a Twilight Cleric. This round he gains (say) 10 temporary hit points.
On the ogre's turn, he hits the fighter for 17 HP, using up the fighter's temp hp and giving him 7 damage.
On the next turn - since he now has no temporary hp - can the cleric's aura give him another 10 temporary points? Every round for one minute?

This seems like an awful lot of bonus HP for a single use of channel divinity. I'm hoping Tasha's clarifies this in some way - otherwise it's like why they nerfed Healing Spirit.

I don't know about Twiglet clerics, he artillerist's eldritch cannon can do that. Battleragers can do it to themselves. Glamor bards can pump out whole temp temp hp as long as they have inspirations.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

There's a fighter standing in the divine aura of a Twilight Cleric. This round he gains (say) 10 temporary hit points.
On the ogre's turn, he hits the fighter for 17 HP, using up the fighter's temp hp and giving him 7 damage.
On the next turn - since he now has no temporary hp - can the cleric's aura give him another 10 temporary points? Every round for one minute?

This seems like an awful lot of bonus HP for a single use of channel divinity. I'm hoping Tasha's clarifies this in some way - otherwise it's like why they nerfed Healing Spirit.
It's very powerful. to the point that it's worrying me. It's much better than the artificer's version.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The reason why I don't feel it's that big of a deal is because it's not really any different than the classes that have Resistance. A monster that can do 20 hit points of damage a round will see 10 points of it immediately stripped from the Barbarian who is raging, which is essentially what we'd see from someone in the cleric's Twilight Sanctuary. And we've been needing to deal with Barbarians resisting all this damage for the length of the game's existence.

Now yes... you are giving probably a number of your party members essentially "Resistance" each round to a single attack... but then again, once that first attack hits and does damage and removes the THP off a PC, each subsequent hit the characters takes that round are all going to be normal. Whereas the Barbarian and anyone else with an effect that grants Resistance is going to reduce those hit points each and every attack in the round.

So the three or so PCs that can have "resistance" one one attack per round from Twilight Sanctuary will probably be about (if not less) than the amount of total HP blockage that comes from a PC with Resistance on every attack.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Yes, that is correct.
They nerfed healing spirit because if you used it out of combat you could have your party conga-line through it and heal 10d6 per character. That isn’t possible with the twilight cleric’s aura because the temp HP don’t stack. To get 100 temp HP out of it, you would need to be taking 10 damage per round for 10 minutes, which is just not a realistic scenario.

The aura is undeniably very powerful. But it probably isn’t as powerful as you’re thinking.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
You can't compare THP and actual HP healing. Healing stacks with other healing, that's why Healing Spirit is OP - it stacks with itself. THP does not stack, which makes it only good in combat, while actual healing is good in and out of combat. That is why spells like Heroism isn't meta.

Remove ads