Warforged - new benchmark for racial stats/abilities

Final Attack

First Post
note: The following is not 100% accurate. Please comment on the concept, don't your time correcting small errors.

Basically I think the bar for racial abilities, and stat bonuses has been raised with the new Warforge write up.

I love the new write up for the Warforged. Interesting additions and lots of little extras that make them unique. However my 3rd edition eyes saw +2 STR and +2 CON, and it looked out of place.

In STR, DEX, CON have many global flow on effects. (Not 100% accurate)

STR - swinging any weapon, carrying capacity
DEX - iniative, AC (for some), Reflex save
CON - healing surge, Fort save, health

WIS, INT, CHA were useful if they directly related to your class.

... related skills? and related abilities. No really strongly noticable global effects (I'm sure I'll be corrected).

Most races have one from the top list and one from the bottom. I thought this was a balance thing.

i'm sure we won't see any Warforged wizards, but warforged fighters will surpass any other race of fighter for bonuses. They also recieve a free heal racial which can restore a notable amount of health.

Incenjucar

Legend
Final Attack said:
i'm sure we won't see any Warforged wizards, but warforged fighters will surpass any other race of fighter for bonuses. They also recieve a free heal racial which can restore a notable amount of health.

I'm thinking warforgedlocks and clerics.

Remember that, in 4E, Str+Con isn't the best, because Str and Con do some of the same things which don't stack.

Warforged are going to be easy to hit with most direct damage abilities. Their bonuses are all pretty heavily piled in a single direction.

I wouldn't want to be a poison or bleeding based attacker, but if you just use straight damaging powers they're going to need those HPs pretty badly.

Last edited:

Final Attack

First Post
VannATLC said:
They will be horribly weak to most Will attacks. Which, to me, makes perfect sense.

They have a +1 will save as part of their racial abilities, which is equal or greater than all other races. +2 wis = +1 will save right?

When I roll a fighter STR is the first trait I look at. I have choice between Dragonborn, or warforged. +2 Cha is useless to me. Flame breath, and +1 to hit when bloodied is useful.

However I think +2 CON, and free heal ability ( and +1 will save) win out. Staying alive is pretty important.

Orcs and Minotaurs also get +2 str & con, it's actually considered underpowered because it only gives you a bonus to your fort save, that's why Warforged get +1 to their will save. Bugbears get +2 str & dex, kobolds and gnolls get +2 dex & con, Tieflings, Gnomes and Changelings get +2 chr & int, having stat bonuses to only mental or physical stats isn't particularly uncommon.

baberg

First Post
Final Attack said:
With what I have said in mind. What race would you say is superior to Warforged when it comes to a damage focused fighter?
If you're doing damage with Light/Heavy Blade, powers often get attack/damage roll bonuses based on your DEX score.

AZRogue

First Post
The Warforged write-up was extremely well done. I hope they do a few other races that way as the article was very good. I especially like the addition of a Racial Paragon Path.

Amakar

First Post
Minotaurs

Damange focused fighters, try Minotaur and Bugbear for the 'oversized' trait. Bother add strength, and Mintaurs add con for some of the axe-bonus feat stuff. Bugbears also get a sorta-sneak-attack.

Remove ads