D&D General Which non-D&D races would you like to see in D&D?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve enjoyed using Seshayans in a 3.5Ed homebrew as a race who once had a subterranean empire that was destroyed to the point that the survivors were scattered and few living beings remember it existed. IMHO, they’re a great substitute for any of the same-old same-old subterranean races.

I love the idea of alien species from d20 Future(Alternity/Star*Drive and Star Frontiers) and Gamma World within D&D.

* Incarnum was interesting, but incarnate and soulborn were boring concepts, too close to paladins. But the totemist shaman should deserve a second oportunity.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Magic of Incarnum

Not quite as cool as it should have been. To me, the mechanics just didn’t…flow. I really wanted to like it, but as much as I fiddle around with 3.5Ed to this very day, I almost never reach for MoI. I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe the mechanics’ jargon?

As I recall, WotC had gotten into a rut of producing analogues of some of the Core classes in the supplements for new mechanics. You could see that in the second Psionics hardcover for sure, and Incarnum was no different.

The totemist (to me) seemed somewhere between totemic barbarians and Druids.

Hussar

Legend
I love the idea of alien species from d20 Future(Alternity/Star*Drive and Star Frontiers) and Gamma World within D&D.

* Incarnum was interesting, but incarnate and soulborn were boring concepts, too close to paladins. But the totemist shaman should deserve a second oportunity.
Star Frontiers races have all made it into 5e- Plasmoids, Vrusks as thri-kreen and hadozee as yazirians. My current Spelljammer game features a plasmoid barbarian with the Disguise Self spell. He's basically Odo from DS9.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
yeah I have never heard of those, do you mind explaining?

Probably the easiest way would be to refer you to the 5e Book of Incarnum. NOTE: Best viewed in Chrome. Other browsers, such as Firefox, do not render it properly.

This is a fan conversion of the contents of Magic of Incarnum and has write-ups and art for the races.

Three of the races are basically humans with a few weird traits. The other is a variant goblinoid.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
One of my favorite races from the 4e era was the deva, from the 4e Player's Handbook 2. Shannon Appelcline's history of the book says the following about them.

The deva was a reimagination of the angelic races that had premiered in Dragon #63 (July 1982) and Monster Manual II (1983), which were now frequently called the aasimar. However, the design team felt that angelic outsiders weren't a good fit for D&D 4e, because in the dark Points of Light world, the designers had "slowly but surely removed from the game any living embodiments of goodness in the cosmos." So the team reinvented the aasimar as angels reincarnated into mortal forms. They also changed the name from aasimar to deva. Rob Heinsoo explained the reasoning, saying, "Even now I struggle to type that word without spelling it like buttocks."

So yes, we have aasimar back in 5e, which is fine, but they don't have the cool backstory or visuals the deva of 4e had.

So yes, we have aasimar back in 5e, which is fine, but they don't have the cool backstory or visuals the deva of 4e had.
The Aasimar in PF1 were nicely fleshed out thanks to the book Blood of Angels. In PF1, you could play as a generic Aasimar (one who didn't know which kind of Celestial sired their bloodline) or an Aasimar from one of the six specific heritages (Angel, Archon, Azata, Agathion, Garuda and Peri).

As for the Devas in 4e, they could have easily called them the Nephilim.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Probably the easiest way would be to refer you to the 5e Book of Incarnum. NOTE: Best viewed in Chrome. Other browsers, such as Firefox, do not render it properly.

This is a fan conversion of the contents of Magic of Incarnum and has write-ups and art for the races.

Three of the races are basically humans with a few weird traits. The other is a variant goblinoid.
why do they keep trying to make human subspecies work it never does.

have they tried just making something new or inspired by relevant myths or animals those seem to do way better.

Remove ads