D&D General Why Isn't There a D&D Table Top Miniatures War Game?

The Soloist

Adventurer
No, no more than GW are selling scratch-built or kitbashed models. But those are legal to make as well. You can make a "vampire count" STL that can be used in place of a GW Vampire Count, as long as the designer is using their own art, not GWs.
This confirms what I wrote at the beginning. If people are printing their own STL versions of GW models, and stealing the book with illegal PDFs, GW will make no money. How are they supposed to survive?

The Soloist

Adventurer
This confirms what I wrote at the beginning. If people are printing their own STL versions of GW models, and stealing the book with illegal PDFs, GW will make no money. How are they supposed to survive?

I'll answer myself, just like D&D, the future of tabletop gaming is virtual and digital. I can see the day when you only play 40k on the computer. That way GW ensures they make money. The benefit is that cheaters won't be able to con you into loosing anymore.

Stormonu

Legend
Hopefully, they don't.

I have the official books, in hard copy, back before they destroyed WHFB with the End Times and basically kicked me out as a customer. I am not beholden to GW to continue to play TT battle games - I could use those models for Kings of War, RuneWars or any other system I wanted to.

Stormonu

Legend
I'll answer myself, just like D&D, the future of tabletop gaming is virtual and digital. I can see the day when you only play 40k on the computer. That way GW ensures they make money. The benefit is that cheaters won't be able to con you into loosing anymore.
Won't help them. Tabletop Simulator already exists.

The Soloist

Adventurer
Hopefully, they don't.

I have the official books, in hard copy, back before they destroyed WHFB with the End Times and basically kicked me out as a customer. I am not beholden to GW to continue to play TT battle games - I could use those models for Kings of War, RuneWars or any other system I wanted to.

So the cat is out of the bag! Have a good evening.

PDF's of the books have been around looong before 3-d printing was a thing. You could play Warhammer with Mantic/reaper figures as well. And yet GW has done just fine.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, if I were to buy an old second hand Warhammer book...then make my own models based on the ideas of particular units and print them and use the old rules to play...none of that ia illegal or unethical.

I would assume that GW would survive by making products people would rather buy than make their own, same as always.

Stormonu

Legend
eh, GW is very predatory - yes, I'd love for them to go away.

But there are many other companies besides GW who produce plenty of tabletop wargames or just the minis themselves. Just like there are plenty of other companies that produce RPGs besides D&D. 3D printing in of itself isn't stealing from a company, it's a choice to use something else that's cheaper or in a style you prefer. It is not "killing off tabletop gaming", its stopping consumers from being beholden to one company or another for their needs.

Remove ads