D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

plisnithus8

Adventurer
"The *heavily* implied classes out there so far, either by reference of intention of by featuring in other places that have also featured eventually Canon materials like the Grung are"

What material are you refering to.
Probably the surrogate characters if ToA AL, but it has been confirmed XGtE win’t have new races.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
The Grung was a player race for Stream of Anihilation, *long* before any word of player Grung ever hit the aether.
As was the Storm Herald Barbarian.

I know Storm Herald came out in a 2016 UA (I played minotaur one for s bit).
I saw the grung played on Stream of Annihilation but never saw where one was statted up for non-stream players, unless you count the ToA surrogate.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I hope that there’s a Pig Farmer subclass! That was my favorite D&D Miniature and it’s a piece of the game’s lore that needs to return!

Undrhil

Explorer
Is the first post of this thread going to be updated to indicate subclasses which are being unveiled, and possibly link to the YouTube videos as they come out?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is the first post of this thread going to be updated to indicate subclasses which are being unveiled, and possibly link to the YouTube videos as they come out?

Just check the front page of the site. Each is covered in detail, along with transcripts.

Uchawi

First Post
Not just you. I don't like when pretty much any ability score can be used to replace what another one does, depending on your class. It makes every class feel the same. A high CHA that gives the same bonuses to attack and damage as a high DEX or STR? What, do you sweet talk the opponent into just standing there while you take your time to deliver a more effective blow? What next? "My class allows me to use strength to help decipher these ancient writings."

IMO, each ability should have core things it helps with, and they aren't all overlapping. You want to be good with weapons in combat? Then use strength and dexterity. Otherwise why bother have stats in the first place? Just name them "primary" and "secondary" stat if they don't have any real functional difference in game play.
A charisma bonus to hit can reflect confidence in your own ability, but regardless, it does not fit well with 5E. I would be more hesitant with ability modifiers surpassing skill or level, where a caster to hit with a weapon could far exceed a fighter.

Remove ads