D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

gyor

Legend
So far we've seen Horizon Walker, Cavalier, Inquisitive, Circle of Dreams, College of Glamour, Samurai, Shadow Sorceror.

Out of these I've been wrong about 4 being in, I thought Shadow Sorceror, College of Glamour, Circle of Dreams, and Samurai wouldn't be in, and they are, so I suck at guessing.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

It's striking to me in this video series how many of the subclasses emerge from the particular PC the designers like to play (clearest here and in Glamour). They're not aiming at archetypes, but at emulating individual actors/characters (and significantly individuals, not team members).

I recognize this may be a choice in presentation (how they think they are selling the class), but I find it uninspiring if I can't relate because I've not consumed some specific piece of non-game media.

GarrettKP

Explorer
So far we've seen Horizon Walker, Cavalier, Inquisitive, Circle of Dreams, College of Glamour, Samurai, Shadow Sorceror.

Out of these I've been wrong about 4 being in, I thought Shadow Sorceror, College of Glamour, Circle of Dreams, and Samurai wouldn't be in, and they are, so I suck at guessing.

I hoped Shadow would be in but didn't think it would be. Samurai I did not want to see nor think it would make it. Other 2 I got tho!

guachi

Hero

My tastes are clearly out of line with the general D&D public as I wasn't enamored with any of these compared with other subclasses.

Undrhil

Explorer
I just reviewed the Shadow Sorcerer UA article and I'm wondering what changes they made to it? I'm sure they probably changed the benefit of the first feature so that you gain it at level 2, or you gain part of it at level 2 when you get sorcery points. The whole subclass sounds amazing and I have see someone multiclassing it with the Shadow Monk.

Last edited:

Charlaquin1

First Post
My tastes are clearly out of line with the general D&D public as I wasn't enamored with any of these compared with other subclasses.
Same. Out of curiosity, are you a DM or a player (or if you do both, which to you prefer)? I've observed that DMs tend to prefer broader, more archetypal concepts, where players tend to prefer more specific, individualized concepts.

Remove ads