D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

gyor

Legend
So far that is Inquisitive, Samurai, Cavalier, Arcane Archer, Shadow Sorceror, Divine Soul, Forge Domain, Oath of Redemption, Celestial Patron, Horizon Walker, Circle of Dreams, College of Glamour confirmed to be in.

That is 12 (a bit two whose videos haven't been shown yet), that leaves over 13 still to be revealed.

guachi

Hero
Same. Out of curiosity, are you a DM or a player (or if you do both, which to you prefer)? I've observed that DMs tend to prefer broader, more archetypal concepts, where players tend to prefer more specific, individualized concepts.

I almost always DM. But as a player I'm immediately drawn (moreso in 5e) to characters and concepts that *don't* require magic. Magic is so omnipresent that I love fun concepts that spark my imagination that don't require magic, especially if that concept is one we can imagine on Earth.

I loved the swashbuckler. No magic, but *tons* of fun. I imagine a pirate (it was in the Waterborne UA) or a Three Musketeer.

The Fighter/Scout is a great mixture of the Battlemaster, Ranger, and Rogue. In fact, it lifted abilities directly from them and added the unique maneuver to use dice to add to a skill check. The fact it lifted abilities directly from other classes is a strength and weakness. It makes it really easy to balance and understand the abilities. But doesn't make it unique. However, we have three full arcane casters and multiple classes that get two attacks at level 5/6.

I love the Battlemaster, Ranger, and Rogue. Getting it all in one class with no magic was a dream come true. I got everything I wanted in one class. The Fighter/Scout is incredibly fun to play.

You can be useful in the Exploration Pillar. It's a revelation of awesome. You can even be a Shield Master fighter with no need to dip one level of Rogue for expertise as you can use your done to get the Bash off successfully.

And the Fighter/Scout is lulz combined with a Rogue. 4 skills and 2 expertise from Rogue, 1 from variant human, 2 from background, 3 from Scout = 10 skills + 2 expertise.

It's more fun without using magic than one should reasonably be allowed to have in D&D. Since I only play in AL once a week it means I can never play the most fun class.

I created a Fighter/Scout as a DM as one of the players was an elf who adopted a Dwarf. The game is set in Mystara so all elves are magical and no Dwarves can be arcane casters. The dwarf thinks he's an elf and uses his maneuvers to "cast" spells like he's a real life elf Ranger. The player liked my interpretation of her adopted dwarf child better than hers.

She started playing it when the party lost four players and the two remaining players each played two players (party is now back to five players). So she played mother and son.

The versatility is amazing. It's so fun feeling *useful*. Sure, its ways to deal damage aren't flashy, and that probably draws eyeballs of playtesters, but being and feeling useful is fantastic.

The Rogue is already useful in Exploration. Giving the Scout to the Rogue is just dumb.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I really like the Scout Rogue- I feel as if it makes more sense than the Scout Fighter, Sneak attack is something I really like to have on a scout. It also means dual wielding is an excellent strategy for the scout when the scout is a rogue, whereas it's a lackluster strategy for fighters, and I think dual wielding is an important part of the class fantasy here. I also think the greater number of skills attached to the rogue chassis is perfect for a scout as well, who should be ultra capable in a survivalist type way. Overall, I was badly dissapointed with the Scout Fighter and am THRILLED for the scout rogue. As a stealthy skill monkey who fights with ambushes, the scout just fits the rogue so much better- I'm also in favor of retaining maunevers as the battlemaster thing, maunevers for other classes would be fine, but I think that fighters shouldnt have more than one of them, since the battlemaster itself is so generic. The battlemaster isn't even really a flavor, it's a playstyle- so when you want that play style you make the battlemaster execute a variety of concepts, when you don't you turn to other subclasses.

You can use the battlemaster to make a knight, a samurai, whatever. So the key to other fighter subclasses is other mechanics (like the knights marking aura, or the samurai's mini rage and 0 hp feature, or the EKs Spells.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really like the Scout Rogue- I feel as if it makes more sense than the Scout Fighter, Sneak attack is something I really like to have on a scout. It also means dual wielding is an excellent strategy for the scout when the scout is a rogue, whereas it's a lackluster strategy for fighters, and I think dual wielding is an important part of the class fantasy here. I also think the greater number of skills attached to the rogue chassis is perfect for a scout as well, who should be ultra capable in a survivalist type way. Overall, I was badly dissapointed with the Scout Fighter and am THRILLED for the scout rogue. As a stealthy skill monkey who fights with ambushes, the scout just fits the rogue so much better- I'm also in favor of retaining maunevers as the battlemaster thing, maunevers for other classes would be fine, but I think that fighters shouldnt have more than one of them, since the battlemaster itself is so generic. The battlemaster isn't even really a flavor, it's a playstyle- so when you want that play style you make the battlemaster execute a variety of concepts, when you don't you turn to other subclasses.

You can use the battlemaster to make a knight, a samurai, whatever. So the key to other fighter subclasses is other mechanics (like the knights marking aura, or the samurai's mini rage and 0 hp feature, or the EKs Spells.)
It also gives a martial concept that uses the Rogue skills, without any criminal implications baked in.

gyor

Legend

Yeah I liked the Rogue Scout better too.

So far that is Inquisitive, Samurai, Cavalier, Arcane Archer, Shadow Sorceror, Divine Soul, Forge Domain, Oath of Redemption, Celestial Patron, Horizon Walker, Circle of Dreams, College of Glamour confirmed to be in.

That is 12 (a bit two whose videos haven't been shown yet), that leaves over 13 still to be revealed.

Confirmed today on Twitter by Crawford that there will be exactly 27 sub-classes and every class will get at least two, except for the wizard, who only gets one:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/917553691472699392

Remove ads