Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Dr Simon

Explorer
The box radiates faint necromantic magic, but the contents (rat and money) are mundane, as are the other box and documents. Ignatius can determine nothing about the rat's death, other than the fact that the stiff little corpse is undamaged. There are 50 silver pieces.
Jeremiah pokes the dead rat with the end of a short stick.

"I don't trust this," he says. "We should analyze the magic of this box further. Necromancy is rarely good news."

Kester returns with food. He glances at the dead rat without interest.

"What d'you want that for?" he says.

Meanwhile, Mhairi peruses the documents. They are the ship's papers, signing ownership of the vessel, the "Direption" from someone or something noted only as "B7" over to one "R. Davaulus". The cargo manifest states only that the ship is carrying "Specimens".

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Um . . . just a thought. Rats are known to carry disease, yes? I wonder if this plague has been inflicted - wittingly or otherwise - on our fair city by an external source."

Kaodi

Hero
Ignatius blinks and looks to Manachan, then back at the dead rat. He gingerly puts the rat back in the box and closes it.

Nice dead rat. No reason to infect Mr. Ifrit. No reason at all...

Out louds, Ignatius asks, " What have you encountered in the way of such vermin since this whole thing began? " as he attempts to discern the nature of the necromantic magic of the box.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Necromancy may cause the disease, but also may be protective magic against the disease. Some of the most powerful healing spells have touches of necromancy in them. But yes, it's rarely good news. Especially with sudden spread of the disease. It seems almost to fast to be natural."

It seemed that a group of older children had found a coffer of silver washed up on the riverbank. Others had taken all the money when she got there, but she did find one silver coin trodden into the mud, which she spent on sweets and pastries.

"Maybe, I'm thinking, this coffer came from the ship that sank," says Mamusia Lela, "but how or why it would carry sickness I couldn't say. If you find the wreck, it will tell us more, maybe."

"Mamusia Lela said some kids found a coffer of silver. Let's assume it was much like this one. What would the kids do? They would spend it on games, sweets and occasional new clothes or toys...and if the money was tainted, by say being locked with dead diseased rat? It would spread all over the city in a trifle. And we must assume we're all infected now. Ignatius, can you detect disease? Tomorrow at the latest? We should avoid the kids in the mean time. Kester, you're stuck with us in the meantime. We sleep in this room. Sorry Mhairi, no bath yet, I won't expose the kids if I can avoid it."

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

Mhairi gave Edmond a withering look that could have turned him to stone, had she been a Medusa. Not noticing any reaction from the human, she began to think oooohhh, I think he might actually be serious. Her face turned into a pout, and she complained "Hmmmpf. Well, it better be hot then, and not too far away. Otherwise I'm going to go find a bathouse somewhere and bathe until I look as wrinkled as an old witch. And I told the lot of you to keep your disgusting, dirty rat! Ugh....put it back in the box and lock it in, for the love of all the Gods!"

Waving the sheaf of papers she liberated from the other, undiseased, box Mhairi asks in a less frustrated tone of voice "So, umm...any of you guys know a R Davalus? He was supposed to get some samples of stuff. No idea what though."

Kaodi

Hero
" Unfortunately not, " says Ignatius, mortified at what he may have unleashed. " I can attempt to aid in treatment if we are are infected, using my mundane knowledge of healing, but I have yet to develop any magical ability to deal with such afflictions. I can only hope that when the mysteries reveal themselves to me once more that this is one of the gifts they will bestow. "

Neurotic

Edmond waves the apology away.

"We have fully charged wand of cure disease...I was actually asking if you can detect it so we don't spend charges needlessly."

Kaodi

Hero
Ignatius breathes a sigh of relief. " That is good news indeed. I would still consider it a blessing though were I able to cure people of disease through my own power. There are many sick people in this city, and they could use such help. "

Handing the box over to Edmond, the ifrit says, " Perhaps either you or Manachan will have more luck discerning its enchantments. In the meantime, perhaps once we have rested and made sure we are not infected we can investigate the identity of this R. Davalus. "

Neurotic

Edmond looks in surprise at the offered box.
"I'm not a mage. Maybe Jeremiah can do something before morning?"

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

"Well, boys, I'm out of ideas for now. I want food, a wash and sleep, in that order. By the way, can we still eat, O-great protector of the children? Or is that out of bounds now too?"

Remove ads