Fall Ceramic Dm™ - Winner!

Sialia

First Post
In answer to the question "where did you come up with this?"

1. Staring at the pictures and banging my head on the keyboard, of course.

2. I figured I'd written enough depressing stuff this season, and tasked myself with producing comedy. Since I wasn't feeling comedic, I decided to imagine how Piratecat would have written the voice of the guy in the sunglasses. It cheered me up immensely to hear him talk. After I got him talking, I just set him down in the world and let him go.

3. The comment about "nice balloon" "beats the alternative" "yeah with the alternative you don't get a balloon" I lifted verbatim from something I overheard through a cube wall in my office recently.

4. I watch too much FoodTV, and this was the sort of business they'd have done a spot on.

5. Most of this story was written while sitting at an extremely noisy birthday party my daughter the Scampering Chaos was attending. The posting time for this set could not have been worse for me.

6. When I found out what the picture of the trees was about, I derailed completely, and almost didn't finish. I would have needed several more hours to prune back from where that train of thought went.

Bandeeto gave me two other comments about the story that I thought were helpful but didn't have any time to work on. The first was that he really wanted to know how the wife died. If I'd had time to explore that, there probably would have been enough development to make this thing count as an actual story (as in, oh now I understand how we got here, or, oh now I understand what's going to happen next.)

His second comment was that this seemed like an opening monologue to a much longer novel. It's a set up to something, but just what we don't know yet.

Which gives me three pretty consistent views of the thing. Thank you for your insights. I liked this piece enough, it might be worth revisiting at some point.

spacemonkey

Official ENworld Space Monkey
Wow... just wow. Color me flabbergasted (seriously, I'd like to see how that would work). ;)

I'm actually very surprised, not being the type to compete (or win) things the majority of the time.

Comments on the comments (from the judges):
Rodrigo - I had to go back and look at the trooper/sunglasses pic again - yup, there sure is a reflection there. I guess I was too intent on the concept to actually check the details on that one! I think I did the opposite with the peacock (examine until I could find something to latch onto - in that case the eye-like feathers).

I'm glad you liked "snow-limned grotesquerie" - that was one I really had fun with.

The symbols/forest (sciencesky) image was particularly difficult. I added the drawing by the natives to give it a little credence (just having it pop up at the end seemed a little too rushed/unexplained to me), not really realizing that I was doing the 'using the picture as a picture' Ceramic DM no-no. If I had it to do again, I would probably have had tiago see the symbols over the fire as he was falling asleep, spewing from the mouths of the natives or somesuch, then chock it up to sleepiness/seeing things (until later of course) ;)

BardStephenFox - Your comment on writing voice was interesting. Not something I usually think about, but not something I have gotten many comments on before (maybe I usually do a better job instinctively, I'm not sure). Ceramic DM is a bit of a wedge between me and my usual style, which may have something to do with it. That's probably a good thing though, as it gets me considering things I usually take for granted, so thanks for pointing it out.

I agree with your comments on the pic usage, mostly. Time and picture randomness were, of course, against me - but that's the fun of it.

I want to thank all the judges for their comments. I can't say I know personally, but that must be a difficult job as well. The comments are definitely helpful, with each judge having a little different take (and judging style). This probably helped my writing more than anything else I've done in the last few years. I'm not a pro writer by any stretch, but I like to improve as I go nonetheless - if just for my own gratification.

A big thanks to all my fellow competitors as well, especially Sialia and Maxfieldjadenfox (aka Saucy Minx Inc.) Without knowing how thoroughly you would trounce me should I do anything but my best, I'm sure I'd have worse stories to show for it.

PS -> Haiku-wise, I think I liked maxfieldjadenfox's from the 23rd, but Sialia deserves the credit for getting the ball rolling I believe.

BSF

Explorer
I know Jaden is currently out of town. Not sure if she will have access to EN World for a bit here.

Sialia - My opening comment is mostly tongue in cheek. It was just a really strange idea to me, given the pictures. I also like hearing where your inspiration comes from. I do wonder if finding out what the picture was about placed artificial constraints on your creativity. But that was a really tough picture to use. Leave it to Mythago...

Spacemonkey - Character voice is not always a high priority except when somebody is trying to emulate a specific vernacular. Many times this can come across flat, but it can work. However this is not the specific voice I am referring to for your story. Most people I know have a speech and writing habit. I can sometimes tell my friends apart simply by their manner of communication even when I don't have a voice or other specific cue on the communicator. Abrupt or terse statements vs lengthy statements. Common use of otherwise uncommon terms. That sort of thing.

Tiago contemplates writing a paper on the linguistic origins of the strangely accented companions of Atkins. Perhaps this is what helped push character voice up in my mind? In any event, I have a stronger feel for the character voice of Carlos than I do Tiago. It isn't enough to pull me out of the story. But there might be ways you can imply deeper character by consciously adopting a slightly different speech pattern, vocabulary, sentence structure, or whatever for Tiago. Enough similarities that you can sense how Tiago and Carlos are similar, but have slightly different backgrounds. I didn't quite get that from the story.

But as I said, don't fret over it. It is one idea on how you might be able to polish up the story a bit more. It might be the wrong idea for you. I only offer it because I thought about it and noticed it. Not because I thought you had a particularly gross failing in that regard. In the end, you didn't leave many other ways for me to offer feedback on how to improve the story. You did a fine job with the story.

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Excellent work, both Spacemonkey and Sialia. While I felt that Sialia's story was very inventive and lots of fun, I really thought Spacemonkey wrote the strongest "story"... Way to go Spacemonkey! It was neat competing with the two of you. I especially loved the Haikus... We must do more. :)

As far as the comments go, BSF, maybe next time we play, you can show me how to insert links to the pictures, because I'm clueless. You should know from the way I talk that I would write run-on sentences!
I know the story could use more clarifications and connections, and as is so often the case, some things showed up without me really knowing where they came from or what to do with them. I was rushed, which meant I didn't go back and insert Julie and her music box at the beginning, or give you enough background on Neville. I just pressed "send". >g<
Thanks BSF and Rodrigo for your comments, and taking the time to judge when I know you're busy!

XXMJF (saucy minx to all of you...)

PS You should have seen the contortions I had to go through to find this link from this computer in Hollywood! Sheesh. No technophobe should be put through such things!

BSF

Explorer
If there is, I will be happy to be a spectator. It's too silly to make everyone wait for my schedule.

Right now, with the project in a nosedive, it does not look like I will be free with my time for a while. I would not be surprised if it continues for another year.

Remove ads