Heroes#6: Dying of the Light/Oct2008

Vocenoctum

First Post
However, I fully agree that this show definitely has the feel that everything is being made up on the spur of the moment. They build up certain elements to be a big deal, and then they cop out when they can't think of a way to deliver, or come up with a newer, cooler idea. Adam is a good example of this.

One of the things that bugged me since season one, was that they wanted to build to a climax each episode. So some episodes would have little development because they couldn't pad it out for the planned cliffhanger of the night. Other times, they have this big build up to the cliffhanger, then it would fizzle when they needed to move on with plot next episode.

The most godawful hilarious one was in Season 1 when the episode ends with peter about to go nova and Claire about to shoot her uncle/boyfriend.

Then the next episode, he goes "no, wait, I'm all better now", she puts the gun away and they have a normal conversation. :)

IMO, they have an idea for an overarching plot, and some rough guidelines per episode, but they don't have the writing talent to turn them into well thought out plotlines.

(I'm not watching anymore, but in previous seasons they also had the habit of reshooting the recap at the start of the episode. Sometimes they would change details to better fit what they had come up with this week!)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Some points.

Adam's death: There's a guy laying on a bed in front of you who's going to kill you if he grabs you. You're a (former) samurai. You shove your thumbs into his brain through his eye sockets and wiggle them around before he can use his powers. That's what should have happened. (I didn't really mind that he turned to dust, although there is absolutely no reason for that to have happened.)

Claire: Someone else already mentioned the incredible stupidity she showed, I won't belabor the point.

Parkman: Loved the turtle, but how did he get it past customs? (He must have used his powers, but one would expect other pet owners to put up quite a stink!) Very minor 'problem'.

Daphne: The best character in this episode, IMHO.

Hiro: Liked the way he 'saved' Ando. (And Ando's "I thought she'd never leave!" Was the best line of the night.) But Hiro screwed up with the precog by not freezing time as soon as he saw the painting. Certainly not the second time!

Mohindar: He's getting really annoying. (And another candidate for stupidest character. Why not go see the man who knows all about what he's trying to do, and failing miserably at?)

Pa Petrelli: Um, why did he need the formula? Why didn't he have someone go ask Zimmerman to write it down for him before he became a frozen asset? (Now there's a plot hole the size of Texas that no one's mentioned yet.)

Peter: Thick as a brick, but at least he's always been that way.

Next week will have to be really good or I might just stop watching.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
What Mohinder's not dead yet? I haven't been watching.

No once more his super-stupidity is countered by his super-luck. As I was watching Tracey and saw her hold out her hand I thought "I bet Mohinder is stupid enough to fall for that." When he did touch her I knew she would freeze him. Unfortunately once more though she let go and Mohinder survived another near death experience.

I so wanted him frozen and shattered. :rant:

I enjoyed this episode. My only nitpick: Adam - dead just like that?! Damn.

It looks as if the Petrilli family has a certain knack for "power-stealing".

I am pretty certain that Pa Petrelli also absorbed Sylars power - the question is not whether this also got him the hunger, but if it actually changed him in any way! I mean, there is a possibility that his absorbing power also comes with "the Hunger". Though I don't think so, since he has to many people around himself he didn't absorb yet.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Some points.

Adam's death: There's a guy laying on a bed in front of you who's going to kill you if he grabs you. You're a (former) samurai. You shove your thumbs into his brain through his eye sockets and wiggle them around before he can use his powers. That's what should have happened. (I didn't really mind that he turned to dust, although there is absolutely no reason for that to have happened.)

I think this would have been better:

Pa Patrelli: I know what you're blood is capable of doing. I need a transfusion.
*Thugs grab Adam as Adam unsuccessfully tries to flee.*
Adam: Let go of me!
*The thugs forcibly takes blood from Adam and gives Pa Patrelli a transfusion using his blood. Pa Patrelli begins to heal, and now is immortal as a result of taking adam's power directly from his blood.*
Pa Patrelli: Now Adam, I need an indestructable warrior like yourself, and I know that you are well aware that I have the to destroy you.
*Pa Patrelli grabs Adam's neck*
Pa Patrelli: I will give you one warning and only one warning, the next time you fall out of line, you will die.
*Cut To Adam's terrified face as he realizes that if Pa Patrelli wanted to drain him of his power, he would have been reduced to ash by Pa Patrelli's touch.*

Pa Petrelli: Um, why did he need the formula? Why didn't he have someone go ask Zimmerman to write it down for him before he became a frozen asset? (Now there's a plot hole the size of Texas that no one's mentioned yet.)

That's why he needed Peter's powers. He needed to learn how to time travel so that he could go back in time and steal the formula when it was initially created.

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
I enjoyed this episode. My only nitpick: Adam - dead just like that?! Damn.

It looks as if the Petrilli family has a certain knack for "power-stealing".

I am pretty certain that Pa Petrelli also absorbed Sylars power - the question is not whether this also got him the hunger, but if it actually changed him in any way! I mean, there is a possibility that his absorbing power also comes with "the Hunger". Though I don't think so, since he has to many people around himself he didn't absorb yet.

It's sort of strange that powered sorts were so loyal to him actually, even as a man on his deathbed. A guy who can steal your power with a touch might not want to be someone you want to get better.

I wonder if maybe he has some way of loaning back a power he takes or something. Then he could establish a lasting hold on people.

DonTadow

First Post
Wow talk about a tough room for the best episode of the season. What, did you forget you're watching a comic book tv show. Small villian gets eaten by big villian to show his dominance. I was so glad to see adam die. Don't you guys realize that they killed someone. That shows a lot of progression in this show. One week everyone wants culling next everyones mad at the culling. From the looks of things that means that plague girl is dead too.

Now, i will agree i hated the whole claire story only because e she's an idiot and it wasn't real in any way. It depended too much on luck to solve the problem. None of the women ahd the power to stop this guy so luck saved the day. Why in the world would a trained pro like Noah really congratulate anyone. He should have scolded them all

I don't understand how three women who know this guys controls people's movements don't prepare for it. And clairs want to give a speech ... just stupid

Still loved the love story blossoming betwen daphne and parker. Knowing how tragically it ends makes it all the more nice to watch. Peter's dad is turning to be a good villain and i liked the mural the showed super evil villains we have yet to see.

Someones going to haveto explain the making it up as they go, because im not seeing a lot of inconsistencies.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
The thing with Adam's death is that even though it served the purpose it seemed anti-climatic and I think that's why people find fault with it. In wrestling terms, he was only brought him back after being a successful character (in 9 episodes) only to job to the new bad guy after being onscreen one episode and will never be mentioned again which is infuriating since Hero could have easily tracked Adam down and what not if he used is brain.

"What Kensai fled when I was knocked out? Ando, let's go back in time and follow him before we do Daphne's dirty work, she'll never know."

Remove ads