Heroes#6: Dying of the Light/Oct2008

DonTadow

First Post
The thing with Adam's death is that even though it served the purpose it seemed anti-climatic and I think that's why people find fault with it. In wrestling terms, he was only brought him back after being a successful character (in 9 episodes) only to job to the new bad guy after being onscreen one episode and will never be mentioned again which is infuriating since Hero could have easily tracked Adam down and what not if he used is brain.

"What Kensai fled when I was knocked out? Ando, let's go back in time and follow him before we do Daphne's dirty work, she'll never know."
I applaud the show these last few episodes for its bare use of time travel (especially how we saw it foiled in this episode).

It just sounds like a dang if you do dang if you don't situation. Everyone was disappointed in season 2 and my main reason was that adam had a good personality but wasn't useful enough for me. His permanent death was good if only it showed that finally the writers will kill a villian.

Outside of sylar's murderes, no one else dies. Knowing that now that barrier is gone can only lead to more things. This episode seemed dark and I liked it.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I agree that it is good to show that the writers have the guts to kill off a villian, but I they could have built up to it and made it worth more. To me it felt like he was just written out hastefully like everyone that Sylar killed and it's making it seem like the only reason why a character would be killed is because they only existed to give Pa/Sylar/(Evil) Peter powers or because they were not popular. I'd want death in this series to mean something beyond "dying so that _____ could have more power" or "dying so that _____ could look become eviler."

Sadly, the only characters who died and had their death mean a thing were:

Issac (even though he was Sylar bait)
D.L.
Hiro's Father
Nikki
Mohinder's Father

None of the other deaths seemed to matter beyond one or two episodes.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Adam's death did come as a surprise, but I think that was kind of the point. Remember, last season was truncated due to the writer's strike, and the end of the first "half" of the intended season had to be reworked to tie up loose ends and just make do. Whatever the writers might have planned for the second half of season two may no longer be possible, with the "quick fix" they had to implement to finish the season off midway through. So while there might have been bigger plans for Adam originally, they might have no longer have been possible, story-wise.

And Adam's death also served a useful purpose: not only did it give mobility (and regenerative power, and immortality) to Mr. Petrelli, but it also shows that there IS in fact a way to kill off an "immortal" character like Adam or Claire. We got another example of this the other week, with Vortex Man: good luck regenerating after you've been sucked into a black hole! Showing that Claire can be killed after all does add back in some tension that would otherwise be missing in a character that absolutely cannot die.

Johnathan

John Crichton

First Post
Adam's death did come as a surprise, but I think that was kind of the point. Remember, last season was truncated due to the writer's strike, and the end of the first "half" of the intended season had to be reworked to tie up loose ends and just make do. Whatever the writers might have planned for the second half of season two may no longer be possible, with the "quick fix" they had to implement to finish the season off midway through. So while there might have been bigger plans for Adam originally, they might have no longer have been possible, story-wise.

And Adam's death also served a useful purpose: not only did it give mobility (and regenerative power, and immortality) to Mr. Petrelli, but it also shows that there IS in fact a way to kill off an "immortal" character like Adam or Claire. We got another example of this the other week, with Vortex Man: good luck regenerating after you've been sucked into a black hole! Showing that Claire can be killed after all does add back in some tension that would otherwise be missing in a character that absolutely cannot die.
All points well said. :)

DonTadow

First Post
All points well said. :)

I know it sound ssick, but i hope they ikill off someone every other episode. Heck, iwas kinda hoping old pete would bite the dust.

However, my wife raised a point i don't believe but thought I"d share.

Adam was able to reconstruct himself from a single atom in old china. (follow me). Pete's father has Parkman's dad's powers. Parkman's dad still has those powers.

It seems that the powers eventually come back to the person. It's possible that that pile of dust will eventually get its power back and reform.

Krug

Newshound
I know it sound ssick, but i hope they ikill off someone every other episode. Heck, iwas kinda hoping old pete would bite the dust.

However, my wife raised a point i don't believe but thought I"d share.

Adam was able to reconstruct himself from a single atom in old china. (follow me). Pete's father has Parkman's dad's powers. Parkman's dad still has those powers.

It seems that the powers eventually come back to the person. It's possible that that pile of dust will eventually get its power back and reform.

Well I think there's too little justification to bring him back. But yes, it is good that they're trimming characters, though I really disliked how Adam, the major villain of last season, went. It's like Doctor Doom getting killed in page 2 of a comic book.

Adam was able to reconstruct himself from a single atom in old china. (follow me).
Was he? Not being able to find the corpse doesn't mean he was burned to ashes. But it's a thought I've been entertaining. it just doesn't fly with the "shot in the head still kills you" idea. Not that I like that much, either...

Hammerhead

Explorer
Well I think there's too little justification to bring him back. But yes, it is good that they're trimming characters, though I really disliked how Adam, the major villain of last season, went. It's like Doctor Doom getting killed in page 2 of a comic book.

Adam /= Doctor Doom and never will. It's more like some secondary villain (who tried to be a cool main villain and didn't deliver) getting killed on the second page.

The one thing I was disappointed in was that I thought Petrelli would have been far creepier as a villain if he was stuck in that bed.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Sadly, the only characters who died and had their death mean a thing were:

Issac (even though he was Sylar bait)
D.L.
Hiro's Father
Nikki
Mohinder's Father

While I agree with your point, you're seriously putting D.L. up there on the list of deaths that mattered? I mean, I guess Nikki got killed because of D.L.'s heroism, but his death was far worse than Adam's, not just for the pointlessness of it but the stupidity of it as well.

I may be a little biased though; I think getting rid of D.L. was one of the biggest mistakes the show made after the first season.

Remove ads