Heroes #8: Villains/Nov2008

Yeah, because Pa Petrelli really just needed to decapitate someone, right?

WTF was with this episode? Well, some of the writers have gotten axed. Maybe they were the ones responsible for the crap.

F5

Explorer
I dunno...I'm with Steel Wind. I kind of liked this episode, all except the very end. I'll get to that in a bit.

As for the inconsistencies...I had some nagging doubts all along about how the linderman/Angela/Nathan relationship worked, all the way back from season 1. Linderman was trying to have Nathan killed, only to turn around and get him involved in the Scheme? Why? He seemed like the mastermind behind it all...until Angela started to seem like the mastermind. I think ret-conning Arthur into the backstory helps it seem more plausible, and gives it some more depth.

RE: sylar's retrofitted conscience...he's always had it. The episode with his mother tried to show him as having a soul, small and twisted though it was, and to explain him away as a product of his upbringing. And I thought that episode was pretty good. His current plotline is a continuation of that idea...I just hope they realize that it's gone far enough, and he should never be a "hero"...he's still a serial killer, and an egocentric bastard. You don't just "get over" that. As for his "new" old power...all we saw the guy do was shatter some glasses. Maybe that's all the power is good for. We HAVE seen Sylar inexplicably shatter glass; back in Season One when he smashed through his cell window to grab..um...the girl with the Super Voice. Eve?

As for the ending...I hated it, because it's another bait-and-switch. Release Adam Munroe! He dies in the next episode. Give Peter Sylar's hunger! He loses all his powers the next episode. Hiro learns the Company's dark secrets! He loses his power and is stuck in Africa, so can't tell anyone. That, or he teleports away (in the nick of time!) in the first 30 seconds of the episode. I wish the writers would just get out of each others' way.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
All i have to say is:

HEROES IS RACIST!

Minorities they killed off:
Mohinder's dad.
Kaito Nakamura.
D-l.
D-l's gang.
Everyone in Maya's home village.
Many Japanese men and women at the hands of Adam Monroe.
Some random Mexican federalies.
Some random Guatemalan boarder patrol agents.
Random Guatemalans who were being taken into Mexico by coyotes.
Alejandro.
Jesse.
African dude who able to see the future but not his own death.

Reoccurring Minorities who have yet to die
Knox.
Mohinder.
Maya.
Hiro .
Ando.
The Haitian (Heroes is so racist they never gave him an actual name).

Minorities who were not compelling enough to remain on the show:
Every character from the New Orleans cast.
Every character from the short lived "Bangladesh" cast.
Every Japanese character from the 16th century.
Hana Grettelman
Hiro's sister (Wasn't she supposed to become CEO of Nakamura industries at the end of Season 1? So then why was the CEO position given to Hiro when his sister had the drive and know-how to run the company?)

Last edited:

I loved the scenes around the machinations around Nathans murder - and the final conclusion leading to his father bedrest experience.

What I didn't like: Elle & Sylar. I think it reeks too much of a retcon,. :(

But where did Nathans father get his absorption powers - or did he always have them, and just limited himself mostly to the mind-reading stuff for the time being?

Mallus

Legend
I dunno...I'm with Steel Wind. I kind of liked this episode...
You two aren't alone. I thought this episode was, well... great. I haven't been this entertained by Heroes since the first season (oddly enough, the episode is set in the first season).

Now the framing device was terribly lazy, and the plot (not to mention characters) can't support the level of retconning the writing staff is piling onto them, but you know something, I don't care. I liked the conspiracy, I liked a lot of the acting, for the first time in ages, I liked all the individual storylines dovetailing and dancing around one another, even when it didn't make sense.

With this episode you can really see the great show the writing staff wasn't actually capable of writing. Hopefully they can keep this going... for a while --at least until ABC cancels the best show currently airing, which is Pushing Daisies, BTW-- and Bryan Fuller goes back to Heroes.

fba827

Adventurer
Aside from a few issues (some of which were already mentioned), I did liked the episode in general. Of course, I may be biased because I am the sort taht loves origin stories and background info.

I am not a big fan of Sylar so the whole guy guy-bad guy-good guy flip flopping isjust annoying to me. But, hey, I'll give them props for the attempt to develop his character. I just hope we don't have to watch more good/guy/ flip flopping on his part in more episodes. I think they've done what they should with his character and move on to others.

I also wished they'd made it someone else's vision quest, other than Hiros. I do like his character but this just seemed like a good opportunity to give some other character the opportunity to be the catalyst for a time-jump episode. I do admire their effort to not make it an actual time jump to the past because then we'd have to deal with Hiro's actual presence and interference.

As always, I liked Christine Rose (Ma Petrelli) but I have yet to like Pa Petrelli -- not as a person/character but his presence. Whenever he's there I just moan a little inside because it seems so predictable that he will always just do the mob-boss-like action.

Didn't they say in season 1 that Pa Petrelli actually died by suicide? Or was it that he had several suicide attempts but actually died by a heart attack?

Also, I am curious as to how Elle went from the somewhat sane girl shown here to the somewhat sociopathic girl shown in season 2 (a year after the events of this episode).

Anyway, as said, sure a couple issues with the episode but over all I enjoyed it.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
/Also, I am curious as to how Elle went from the somewhat sane girl shown here to the somewhat sociopathic girl shown in season 2 (a year after the events of this episode).

The more unhappy Bob gets, the more pressure Elle feels, IMO.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Also, I am curious as to how Elle went from the somewhat sane girl shown here to the somewhat sociopathic girl shown in season 2 (a year after the events of this episode).

I don't think it's that Elle was necessarily saner here. It's just that she got attached to Sylar.

[pop psychology]

We've seen in previous episodes that Elle latches onto men very easily; she's basically looking for male validation (probably due to her daddy issues). Having connected with Sylar, and liking the attention she's getting from him, I wasn't surprised at how protective she became.

Take all of that away, and she's left to her dad's whims, who seemed to almost enjoy twisting his daughter.

[/pop psychology]

Remove ads