• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rokugan D20: The Winds of Blood (Chapter 1)

Tokiwong

First Post
Lichtenhart said:

"Who told you so? I don't think you can speak with the kami. Yet you call the rule of the samurai caste tyranny. Tell me, have you ever looked beyond the wall? The samurai are there to defend the people like you from the horrors that lie there. If you overthrow the samurai, who will defend you? The Black Fan? How did they earn your trust?"

The bandit scowls and replies to Kaiji, "The Black Fan will defend the righteous against the evils of the world, we are few now, but our numbers grow," he looks around though scared, "I was told the Kami support our cause, the Iron Crab has told me thus. She knows no fear, and knows no limit to her anger!"

Lichtenhart

First Post
At the mention of the Iron Crab, Kaiji looks interrogatively at Kyuzo and Takane, then he turns back at Po with a soft voice and looking at him straight in the eyes, honestly.

"Po, I'm afraid she lied to you. The men on the Wall, those that defend us all, train their entire life to be able to do so. You and your friends couldn't stand before Tsuruchi-san, how could you bother an ogre or even an oni? She lied to you, because the kami respect and serve the Celestial Order. She lied to you, because if she really wanted to defend you, she would be on the Wall now, proving herself worthier than the 'tyrannical' samurai, istead of weakening them by taking the taxes to feed them. She lied to you because she didn't want to help you or defend you, but only to use you. She made you attack that Magistrate and take the taxes, didn't she? And what did she do with them? She gave you better food, better armor or better weapons? I think not. I think that, with a perfectly reasonable excuse, she kept them for herself. Am I right, Po?

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Po bowed his head listening to the words, "I had not thought of that, perhaps she did lie to me, but well, then dit does not matter, I have heard of the mercy of the Crab samurai, can you promise me that I will be spared such, if I cooperate?"

Chauzu

First Post
Takane crosses his arms and stares at the prisoner. "I do not think mercy is an acceptable punishment for one who has commited such a crime..." Takane says before taking into thought.

Lichtenhart

First Post
"Can I talk with you outside, my friends?" Kaiji asks.

If his companions follow him he'll say: "If you think your honor demands torturing and killing a drunkard who unluckily met someone who took advantage of his stupidity, then please go back in and interrogate him yourselves. I don't think he could be held responsible for what happened, we should focus on this 'Iron Crab', whoever she may be. If we spare his life, we'll have the information we need in a quicker and more reliable way. But I guess I feel this way because I'm not personally involved, Kyuzo-san is the one who should decide about his fate. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a punishment, he deserves an exemplary one, only that we shouldn't take his life. Which better way to fight those bandits than to really show them the crab samurai are not merciless tyrants. Make them doubt the words of their leader and she'll have no more power over them."

Douane

First Post
Kyuzo bristles up at the mention of the 'Iron Crab' in indignation.

How can it be that this woman dares to misuse the honored name of his own clan?

And how could these farmers think that some secret society would be able to take over the responsibilities of the Samurai? Do they really believe that this 'Black Fan' would replace the Samurai's benevolent rulership with some kind of "superior" system? The fact that they were ordered to assault fully-trained members of the Buke should have told them better.

When Po speaks of mercy, Kyuzo reflects upon the proper course of action. Before he can voice his conclusion, Kaiji bids them to step outside.

After hearing his proposal, Kyuzo bows and replies:

"Very sensible advice, Kaiji-san!

While this man has transgressed the boundaries of Meyo - even those set for a non-samurai -, I shall not violate the tenets of Jin myself. Our duty is to return peace to this part of the Crab realms and recovery of the stolen taxes, if possible. Compassion for the misguided might be a proper way to honor the Way of Bushido.

However, Kaiji-san, hopefully you are aware that there must be - and will be - a punishment of the truly guilty, do not expect us to show mercy to those responsible for this challenge of the Crab way."

"Very well, let us learn everything we can from Po. The sooner we find this 'Iron Crab', the better. There are also other matters ... to be taken care of."

The daisho of Kaiu Asami must be recovered!

[OoC: Kyuzo will use his Sense Motive skill to try to verify if Po is honest and speaks the truth.]

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Po seems to be telling the truth to Kyuzo

Outside as the group congregates, Kyuzo easily psots one of the ronin from the sake house outside leaning against a plum tree watching the group discusss their current train of action. The one that raised his cup to Kyuzo, though his wide hat hides his eyes as he enjoys another sip of sake.

Lichtenhart

First Post
Kaiji goes back in, but he does not speak immediately, he lets the silence fall upon Po.

"Your crime has been hideous, Po, and you won't be forgiven." Another pause.
"But, if you prove yourself useful, your life will be spared."
Another pause then he resumes with a softer tone
"Crab samurai are merciful indeed, but you'll have to earn that mercy. Tell me everything you know about the Black Fan and the Iron Crab. And don't even think about lying to me, or keeping something to yourself. I'll know if you say the truth."

Douane

First Post
While turning back to the hut, Kyuzo remarks casually:

"We should make haste. This 'Iron Crab' is bound to have heard of us by now and perhaps she already has someone spying upon us."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads