D&D 5E So who is playing 5E?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm currently running the Lost Mines of Phandelver for a party of 7. We started with pre-gens (I made 2 extras with the basic rules) but are in the process of swapping them out for home-generated PCs. Looks like we'll have:

half-elf bard
drow warlock
human wizard
halfling fighter (angling toward eldrich knight)
elf cleric
a rogue of some sort
and one more PC to be identified later

I really like the backgrounds and what they do for character generation.
And we're totally rolling stats too.

Once we get as much play out of Lost Mines as we want, we'll probably move into something more episodic since we also have other games we want to play. But I don't have a full set of inputs from the other players yet about the campaign they want to play in.

eryndel

Explorer
Currently Playing LMoP for my family, we've finished the Redbrands and now where on the hunt for the Cragmaw. Players include:

My 13 yr old son who started with the pregen Wizard (through the Cragmaw Hideout), swapped it with a Gnome Wizard ("Gnome's get +2 to Int!" he says) throughout the Redbrands, and now is playing a Human (variant) Bard who's from a branch of the Tressendar family, seeking to reclaim lost glory (and a shiny new sword). *sigh*

My 11 year old daughter who's playing a beastmaster ranger.

My 5 year old daughter who's playing a halfling circle of the moon druid ("Whaddya mean she only has 15 Wis?!?", my son says) who likes to spend her time in Tiger form, or as a mount for one of the other characters. Has a riding mastiff that doesn't get nearly as much love as he used to.

My wife, who's playing the pregen Dwarf Cleric with tie ins to the campaign.

We're having a blast so far and we'll like transition over the Ch. 5 HotDQ when we finish Phandelver. However, we typically only can run for an hour or two tops, with the 5 year old. Fortunately, in 5e you can get a fair amount done in two hours.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Yes, we converted from a Trailblazer/3.5 Dark Sun game. I had DMed myself into a corner story wise and the gritty and mercenary survival outlook of Dark Sun was getting me down after two years. Hoard of the dragon queen was available: heroically taking down Tiamat, you say? Hmmmm. Thought I'd give it a shot.

Third session in now and extremely happy about it. Combat is fast, my players use their imagination more and DM prep is greatly reduced. I didn't need a new system, I needed a change of pace, but all those advantages make me extremely pleased and I think I can say already that I've switched editions now.

the Jester

Legend
Once my (currently mid-epic) 4e game wraps up we're adding two new players, having lost one to relocation and having a couple others drop in frequency due to life stuff (one is a firefighter in Northern CA, and there's a ton of fires to fight lately, and the other is a transportationless slacker who now lives an inconvenient distance out of town). Then we'll be starting a 5e game set in a city that I have been spending a great deal of effort on. For those of you who followed my old 4e story hour, it's Fandelose, where an old group of pcs held out for a five-year siege by a massive army of mixed humanoids. Fandelose is the last 'civilized' city, and it's not in the greatest shape. There are threats both internal and external, tons of factions, lots of nearby adventure sites, etc.

I'm running a game I'm calling Tome Raider, where the PCs eventually will learn to dungeon delve into books to find secrets hidden within. So far we're just two sessions in, and they're about to find the library that will hopefully be the central focus of the campaign.

Olfan

First Post
My group is running LMoP (should be the last part of it next week). We love it, we also play another Pathfinder game and while we like it, we generally prefer the simplicity of 5th edition.

I bought HotDQ with the intention of running it after, but after reading through it I found it was not quite our style, so I'll probably just end up making something up. I'll probably pull in a dungeon or two from the adventure so it's not a total waste.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I'm DMing The Ghosts of Dragonspear castle (with monsters updated as best I can),

I'm playing in both a Lost mines of Phandelver and a Hordes of the Dragon Queen campaign.

I'm really enjoying all my experiences.

Quite liking how many people are converting Pathfinder and 3.xE adventures over to 5E. I have a stack of 3.xE adventures and 50+ issues of Dungeon magazine that I'd like to get use out of. Looks like I should be able to do so fairly easily.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Im DM'ing 5e. Im currently running the Box Set starter and just wrapped up part 2.
After that I'll start Hoard of the DQ, adjusting per the levels of the pc's.

I also plan on running the starter set at my local FLGS to promote 5e, because it absolutely is the best edition of D&D to date.

As far as setting, Im a fan of FR so I'll stick with the official setting, concentrating in the Sword Coast region.

Eventually, though, I want to experiment with a more advanced group and run Menzoberranzan as an evil campaign.

Last edited:

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Quite liking how many people are converting Pathfinder and 3.xE adventures over to 5E. I have a stack of 3.xE adventures and 50+ issues of Dungeon magazine that I'd like to get use out of. Looks like I should be able to do so fairly easily.
Yeah. I really want to see those conversion guidelines.

Or [MENTION=84774]surfarcher[/MENTION] 's data analysis--whichever comes first...

Remove ads