[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

Dekana

Explorer
Takahaan dives back, narrowly missing the stream of fluid that the witch ejected upon being injured. With renewed vigor, he rushes forward yet another time, crashing into her with the full force of his massive body, leaving her on the ground. "I could use some help over here! Release the Captain from that shell quickly and get your hides on this witch! She's playing with our damn heads."
Castile responds, with some frustration, "If I could finish him just like that, I would!" At that moment, she drops her axe powerfully into the undead captain's shoulder. He crumples to the ground.

"... Oh, right. Heh."

[sblock=Castile actions / stats]Standard: MBA vs Ghoul 2 hits AC 24 for 20 damage, killing him. (1d20+9=24; 1d12+9+2+2=20)

End of turn: Saving throw vs Immobilized succeeds. (1d20=11)

PC:Castile (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Dwarf Fighter 4
Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 14
AC:21, Fort:20, Reflex:17, Will:16, +5 saves vs poison, Speed:5
HP:8+52/52, Bloodied:26, Surge Value:13, Surges left:6/13
Initiative +2
Action Points: 0 (encounter)

Conditions

Powers
MBA: Waraxe, +9 vs AC, 1d12+9 damage and gain 4 THP (see Combat notes below)
RBA: Waraxe, +9 vs AC, 1d12+7 damage, 6/12
Combat Challenge, Pass Forward
Crushing Surge, Tide of Iron
Bold Victory, Dwarven Resilience, Guardian's Counter, Hack and Hew, Shield Edge Block
Comeback Strike, Dwarven Thrower Waraxe, Second Chance

Combat notes: +2 melee / close damage with THP, +2 to attack roll on OAs, OAs stop enemy movement; ignore 1 square forced movement
[/sblock][sblock=Immediate actions]1. Shield Edge Block when an adjacent enemy hits Castile with a close or melee attack and would have missed with a -4 penalty to the attack. Immediate Interrupt, +8 vs Fort, 2d6+6 damage and +4 THP. Effect: The target takes a -4 penalty to the triggering attack.

2. Combat Challenge when an adjacent enemy marked by Castile shifts or attacks an ally and doesn't include her in the attack. Immediate Interrupt, MBA vs AC. On a hit, the target is also pushed 1 if that would force it out of range for its triggering attack (no push otherwise).

3. Guardian's Counter when an ally within 2 squares of Castile is attacked and she isn't included. Immediate Interrupt, Castile and the ally switch places and she is the target instead. After the attack, she makes a basic attack vs the attacker.

4. Opportunity Attack as usual, 1/turn. MBA+2 vs AC. On a hit, the target stops moving (if a move provoked the OA).[/sblock]

GROMkill

First Post
OOC: 1 HP ... damn.
@GROMkill How many times can you use Flattering Charge? Isn't it an encounter power?

OOC: It's actually called Flattening Charge, but after an unintentional misspell, I decided to start calling it Flattering Charge. Anyways, with Bravura Presence, there is a bonus that upon hit, the power isn't expended. So that means as long as I aim for targets with low Fortitude and I'm rolling competently, I can just keep up the knee-buckling flattery on them.

jbear

First Post
As Kane's mind seals the partition as Kovac's death severs the mental link between them, he spurs back into action shaking his head to clear it of the undead witch's dark whisperings. Moving forward, followed by the fey beast, Kane takes cover behind the column close to Nithlati linking his mind to hers more strongly now that he can focus his full concentration upon her. Intent on pushing her from her hiding place, he sends forward his arcane power provoking an icy explosion behind their powerful foe but not realising she is down on the ground the wave of cold passes above her vulnerable frame harmlessly.

"Witch. Your time of undeath is over. Leave the minds of my friends and face me."

The magic coursing thick through his veins, Kane utters his challenge without hint of a stutter.

OOC: [MENTION=6676989]GROMkill[/MENTION] That's pretty cool! Pity I couldn't drag her out into line to set up some charges for Castile and Noriaki for next round

[sblock=Actions] Kovac's death = Recharged: Aegis of Shielding
Kane moves to G5 and Fey Beast will move to I7 to provide some cover for our hard hitters in the back.
Minor Action: Aegis of Shielding vs Nithlati: Marked
Standard Action: Freezing Burst centred at E5... :rant: I'm glad that this is a long distance pbp game ... because ears would be wilting and falling off right now if you could hear the colourful expletives I am using with reference to the dice roller. Man it sucks when you are going to roll and you know in your guts you aren't even going to manage an 8

Immediate Action Priority:
Kane will use Channelling Shield if the Witch manages to turn Castile on Noriaki or Takahaan or if any attack would drop Takahaan (Castile can take a hit no worries atm)
If not then Kane uses his Aegis to soften any blow caused directly by the witch, like her reaction when hit for example

[/sblock]

[sblock=Kane Arcane]
PC:Kane Arcane (jbear1979) - L4W Wiki
Human Hybrid Swordmage | Wizard 4
Passive Perception/Insight 14
AC:22, Fort:17, Reflex:18, Will:18, Speed:6
HP: (+2 THP) 44/44, Bloodied:22, Surge Value:11, Surges left:8/10
Initiative +2
Action Points: 0 (encounter):

Conditions:

Powers
MBA: Dislocation Longsword +1, +7 vs AC, 1d8+2 damage
Cantrips,
Freezing Burst, Phantasmal Assault, Sword Burst

Grasping Shadows:
Aegis of Shielding: USED on Nithlati
Channelling Shield:
Dimensional Vortex: USED
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere: USED
Dislocation Longsword: USED
Amulet of Psychic Interference: USED

Combat notes:
Kane makes a SThrow vs Charm, Fear and Psychic effects at the start of his turn; if he fails he does not get another SThrow to end them at the end of his turn

Feybeast HP 22/22; AC 17 F/R/W 19/15/19
Perception +6
MBA: Claw: +9 vs AC; 1d12+2 dmg
Aura +2 dmg to all allies vs enemies in Fey Beast Aura
[/sblock]

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
Hú Lí's playing grows louder and louder, beating against Takahaan's brain, but not penetrating. Then, without warning, she stops and lowers her flute.

"I apologize, my friend," she says to Takahaan. "This creature's madness spills over. But I know again who our true enemy is."[sblock=actions]Standard: Vicious Mockery (Will) vs. Takahaan: 2(1d20) +8 = 10; 1(1d6) +5 = 6
Save vs. Dominated: 13(1d20) = 13[/color][sblock=Hú Lí]The Black Fox Fox Spirit (Changeling) Bard 4
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 20
AC:21, Fort:14, Reflex:18, Will:19
:bmelee: +4 vs. AC, 1d6-1 damage

HP:25/39, Bloodied:19, Surge Value:9, Surges left:4/8
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: used
Powers: Fox Spirit Disguise, Wild Shape, Staggering Note, Vicious Mockery, Changeling's Armor
Blunder, Dissonant Strain, Fox Spirit Trick, Grasping Claws, Majestic Word x2, Words of Friendship, Noble Presence, Painted Drum
Stirring Shout, Canon of Avoidance, Amulet of Seduction[/sblock]

Virtue of Cunning: Once per round, when an enemy misses an ally within 9 squares of the Black Fox, the Fox may slide the ally 1 square as a free action.

Conditions:
[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
Foul blood sprays again from the wound as Takahaan knocks the witch to the floor, and once again he avoids it. Meanwhile, the ghoul wearing Kovack’s belt crumples almost gently under Castile’s axe; some of the adventurers fancy that they hear a faint sigh of gratitude, but perhaps that is only another trick of the mind.

The witch gets to her feet again, lashing out with her staff and the horrible sweep of her gaze, but nobody is affected except Kane. He stumbles toward Takahaan half-conscious of what he is doing, and pulls his sword away before it strikes.

[sblock=actions and rolls] Nylithati poison spray vs Fort (-2 prone), Taka
12(1d20) +7 -2 = 17
misses.

Nylithati recharge maddening visions
1(1d6) = 1
fails to recharge.

Move: stand up.

Standard: Unholy wrath (3 basic attacks). Nylithati MBA vs AC (-2 marked), Taka; damage
7(1d20) +9 -2 = 14; 1(1d8) +5 +8(1d8) = 14
misses. Nylithati’s other attacks provoke Taka, whom she has failed to push away. Taka OA vs AC, Nylithati; damage
5(1d20) +10 = 15; 3(1d10) +7 = 10
misses.

Nylithati unhinging vs Ref, Kane; Hú Lí (-2 marked)
10(1d20) +7 = 17; 10(1d20) +7 -2 = 15
misses both.

Action Point: Nylithati unhinging gaze vs Ref, Taka (-2 marked), Hú Lí (-2 marked), Kane
10(1d20) +7 -2 = 15; 12(1d20) +7 -2 = 17; 16(1d20) +7 = 23
misses everyone but Kane. Unhinging gaze damage on Kane
2(1d6) +5 = 7
. Kane takes 7 psychic, slides to F7, and attacks Takahaan. Kane MBA, Taka; damage
2(1d20) +7 = 9; 4(1d8) +2 = 6
misses.

Wildly unsuccessful for the big bad. 8 attacks, 7 misses.

Off-Turn Stuff
Virtue of cunning: Taka is eligible. Kane was slid after being missed, so he isn’t.
[/sblock]

CAVES OF THE MOTHER: ROUND 6

[sblock=Terrain]Terrain
The alcoves have piles of bones and other detritus in them (represented by brownish crud). They are difficult terrain. The rest of the floor is normal terrain.

The pillars are blocking terrain but they are round and don’t make hard corners.
[/sblock]

[sblock=PCs’ Off-Turn Actions]Interrupts, Reactions, and so forth are listed here to help me remember them. It would also help me if you specify triggers for these actions. If you don’t, I’ll try to use them in sensible places.

Black Fox
Virtue of Cunning (free action; ally is missed)

Castile
Combat Challenge (interrupt; adjacent marked target shifts or makes an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Shield Edge Block (interrupt; adjacent enemy hits or misses Castile with a close or melee attack): used if it will turn a hit into a miss.
Bold Victory Armor (free; Castile or an ally within 5 bloodies an enemy)

Kane
Aegis of Shielding (interrupt; marked enemy hits a target within 10 and the attack doesn’t include Kane)
Channeling Shield (interrupt; an attack hits Kane or an ally within 10): used to prevent a big or bloodying hit.
Dimensional Vortex (interrupt; an enemy within 10 hits an ally with a melee attack): used if Kane can thump a non-minion with it.
White Lotus Riposte (no action; when an enemy Kane hits with an arcane at-will attack him before EoNT, that enemy takes 4 damage of the same type as the at-will dealt)

Noriaki
Shrug it Off (reaction; Noriaki is subjected to a save ends effect)

Takahaan
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Takahaan)
Vengeance is Mine (reaction; an enemy hits Takahaan)[/sblock]

[sblock=status]PCs
Castile (O7) HP 52+8/52; surges 6/13; AP used, SW used
Hú Lí (G8) HP 25/39; surges 4/8; AP used
Kane (F7) HP 33/44; surges 8/10; AP used
Noriaki (M8) HP 20/45; surges 7/9; AP used, bloodied
Takahaan (E7) HP 28/39; surges 5/8; AP used

Allies
Fey Beast HP (E7) 22/22
Imidoto (here? there? somewhere else?) HP 1 (minion)

Bad Guys
Ghoul 1 (N6) dead
Ghoul 2 (Kovack) (N8) dead
Nylithati (E5) 64 damage taken, maddening visions used, curse of M used, marked by Kane, 2 APs used
[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy Stats]Please read the appropriate block(s) only when necessary to resolve attacks or OAs.

[sblock=Ghoul]Ghoul
AC 21, Fort 17, Ref 19, Will 16; HP 63, bloodied 31
:bmelee: Claws +10 vs. AC, 2d6+6 and the target is immobilized (save ends).[/sblock]
[sblock=Nylithati]Nylithati
AC 19, Fort 15, Ref 17, Will 16; HP 220, bloodied 110
:bmelee: Staff of Corruption +9 vs. AC, 1d8+5 necrotic damage plus 1d8 poison damage and the target is pushed 2.
[sblock=Immediate Reaction (when Nylithati is hit by a creature adjacent to her)]Poison Spray: +7 vs Fortitude; if hit, the target is pushed 3 squares, slowed, and takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends both).[/sblock][/sblock]
[/sblock]

Attachments

• TempleMap6.jpg
    TempleMap6.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 110

jbear

First Post
As the witch reaches for his mind once more Kane's amulet crackles and breaks the connection, causing her to screech with frustration. As she unleashes her fury Kane clamps his Aegis down upon her mind veering her power towards himself. Even as his mind blanks out as the witch takes control of his body, he gives into the power rather than resist but allowing his body to weaken, purging any strength from the blow that the witch might cause. As he comes back to himself next to Takahaan and sees he is unharmed Kane cannot help but smile.

OOC: Sorry, since Kane can't hit the side of a barn, I wanted to at least enjoy the fact his new amulet saved him from one hit and that his mark stopped two hits. Hence the added narration. My sympathies though, that must have been pretty disappointing for you.

The fey beast bounds up behind the witch, snapping at her heels with a growl, causing a distraction for a moment which Kane makes the most of to step away behind the hulking frame of Takahaan.

A tiny trickle of blood drips from Kane's nose but a grin stretches across his face from ear to ear.

"You are weakening creature. You can not shackle our minds with your tricks, and soon you will feel the bite of the blade of vengeance upon your neck"

He stabs his blade over Takahaan's shoulders towards her mind, in search of the crack that has begun to open. He snatches it and continues to dig his way in as the witch howls with displeasure at the intrusion. he continues to grin at his foe, daring her to attack him again.

[sblock=Actions] Move: Kane Shifts to E8
The Fey Beast moves to E5 (avoiding F5): All ally + Kane's damage +2 vs Nithlati while in Fey Beast aura
Standard Action: Phantasmal Assault vs Nithlati
Hit: Nithlati Grants CAdv TENT and Kane gains 2 THP
and White Lotus Riposte is active: If she attacks Kane on her next turn she takes another 4 psychic dmg

Also just realised: This post here Nithlati hit Kane after he hit her with Phantasmal Assault so she would have taken 4 psychic dmg from White Lotus Riposte as well as the Psychic Interference dmg as White Lotus Riposte does not require an action.

Immediate Action priority:
Aegis to stop any damage caused by Nithlati esp. vs bloodied allies
Chanelling Shield if she manages to turn either Castile or Noriaki against us
[/sblock]

[sblock=Kane Arcane]
PC:Kane Arcane (jbear1979) - L4W Wiki
Human Hybrid Swordmage | Wizard 4
Passive Perception/Insight 14
AC:22, Fort:17, Reflex:18, Will:18, Speed:6
HP: (+2 THP) 33/44, Bloodied:22, Surge Value:11, Surges left:8/10
Initiative +2
Action Points: 0 (encounter):

Conditions:

Powers
MBA: Dislocation Longsword +1, +7 vs AC, 1d8+2 damage
Cantrips,
Freezing Burst, Phantasmal Assault, Sword Burst

Grasping Shadows:
Aegis of Shielding: USED on Nithlati
Channelling Shield:
Dimensional Vortex: USED
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere: USED
Dislocation Longsword: USED
Amulet of Psychic Interference: USED

Combat notes:
Amulet of Psychic Interference: Kane makes a SThrow vs Charm, Fear and Psychic effects at the start of his turn; if he fails he does not get another SThrow to end them at the end of his turn
White Lotus Riposte: When an enemy Kane has hit with an At Will Power attacks him on his next turn, they take 4 dmg (type is equal to the damage type dealt by at will power)
Gauntlets of Arcane Might: Kane gains 2 THP when he hits an enemy he marks with an Arcane power
Shimmering Cloth Armor: Kane's ranged and area attacks do not provoke OAtks

Feybeast HP 22/22; AC 17 F/R/W 19/15/19
Perception +6
MBA: Claw: +9 vs AC; 1d12+2 dmg
Aura +2 dmg to all allies vs enemies in Fey Beast Aura
[/sblock]

Last edited:

GROMkill

First Post
OOC: It's a one-turn pinata! +5 to damage rolls against the Witch til the end of Taka's next turn. I tried to get Intuitive Strike as well but nat1'd. Dang, @jbear ! It seems we switched up our die for this turn :p

As Kane pours his thoughts into the Witch's mind and opens up her defenses for some harsh blows, Takahaan makes his way around her, getting in position for Dragon's Jaws Bite Down. "Noriaki! Lady Castile! Hu Li! Strike now!" With a roar, he chokes up a massive plume of burning fire and encases the witch in it. The pain caused by the fire and any additional blows would definitely cause her to fall.[sblock=Mechanics]
Free: Slide to D6

Move: Shift to D5

Standard: Intuitive Strike on Witch. Nat 1 miss.

Minor: Dragonbreath from E6 to G4, catching the Witch and no allies. Hits 24 Reflex for 6 damage. Allies have +5 to damage rolls against this target until the end of Takahaan's next turn.

[sblock=Rolls]
Epic Nat 1 miss attack: 1d20+12=13
Dragonbreath attack: 1d20+10=24
Dragonbreath damage: 1d6+1=6[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Takahaan]Takahaan Thanazashi Male Dragonborn Bravura Warlord 2
Initiative: +4
Passive Perception: 11
Passive Insight: 11
Senses: Normal
AC:20
Fort:18
Reflex:16
Will:18 HP:28/39
Bloodied:19
Surge Value:10
Surges left:5/8
Action Points: 0

Powers:

Brash Assault
Intuitive Strike
Dragon Breath [x]
Inspiring Word [x]
Flattering Charge [ ]
Vengeance Is Mine [ ]
Lamb to the Slaughter [x]
Spur To Action [ ]

Other Abilities:

Second Wind [ ]
Cloak of Resistance [ ]
Dwarven Chainmail [x]

Conditions

[sblock=Important Features] Bravura Presence: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn.

Combat Leader: You and each ally within 10 squares who can see and hear you gain a +2 power bonus to initiative.

Dragonborn Fury: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.[/sblock] [/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
After what feels like an eternity, feeling returns to Castile's legs. Hearing Takahaan's suggestion, she makes a stumbling charge toward Nylithati.

"This is for the captain, you witch!" she roars as she brings her axe into her enemy's side.

[sblock=Castile actions / stats]Move: Walk to J7.

Standard: Charge to F7! MBA vs Nylithati hits AC 27 for 28 damage. I'll let Kane's mark stand, but my Guardian's Counter interrupt is primed and ready to go. (1d20+9+2+1=27; 1d12+9+2=23) (forgot the +5 damage)

PC:Castile (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Dwarf Fighter 4
Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 14
AC:21, Fort:20, Reflex:17, Will:16, +5 saves vs poison, Speed:5
HP:8+52/52, Bloodied:26, Surge Value:13, Surges left:6/13
Initiative +2
Action Points: 0 (encounter)

Conditions

Powers
MBA: Waraxe, +9 vs AC, 1d12+9 damage and gain 4 THP (see Combat notes below)
RBA: Waraxe, +9 vs AC, 1d12+7 damage, 6/12
Combat Challenge, Pass Forward
Crushing Surge, Tide of Iron
Bold Victory, Dwarven Resilience, Guardian's Counter, Hack and Hew, Shield Edge Block
Comeback Strike, Dwarven Thrower Waraxe, Second Chance

Combat notes: +2 melee / close damage with THP, +2 to attack roll on OAs, OAs stop enemy movement; ignore 1 square forced movement
[/sblock][sblock=Immediate actions]1. Shield Edge Block when an adjacent enemy hits Castile with a close or melee attack and would have missed with a -4 penalty to the attack. Immediate Interrupt, +8 vs Fort, 2d6+6 damage and +4 THP. Effect: The target takes a -4 penalty to the triggering attack.

2. Combat Challenge when an adjacent enemy marked by Castile shifts or attacks an ally and doesn't include her in the attack. Immediate Interrupt, MBA vs AC. On a hit, the target is also pushed 1 if that would force it out of range for its triggering attack (no push otherwise).

3. Guardian's Counter when an ally within 2 squares of Castile is attacked and she isn't included. Immediate Interrupt, Castile and the ally switch places and she is the target instead. After the attack, she makes a basic attack vs the attacker.

4. Opportunity Attack as usual, 1/turn. MBA+2 vs AC. On a hit, the target stops moving (if a move provoked the OA).[/sblock]

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki looks down at Kovack's body. There seeme dto be no end of witches on this island. This one had been trying to make him and his friends attack each other, and must have at least stood by and let this happen to Kovack, if not done it herself. Noriaki's fear and worry start to fizzle, and an anger builds in their place.

He sheaths his sword and strides purposefully toward the undead witch. As he comes in, Noriaki unleashes a powerful strike with Arashi Tenken, and as it connects, he can feel her spirit smiling.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Move: to G5
Standard: Pressing Strike on Baldywitch, shifting to F5
Attack Roll:1d20+10=20
Damage Roll: 1d12+1d6+15=17. Static damage saves the day!

[/sblock]
[sblock=Noriaki]
Noriaki Matsumoto
Male Human Thaneborn Barbarian 4
Initiative: +5(+7 with Takahaan)
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Insight: 13
Senses: Normal

AC:20
Fort:20
Reflex:18
Will:16
HP:24/45
Bloodied:22
Surges left:7/9
Surge Value:11
Action Points: 0/1

MBA: +10 to hit, 1d12+8 damage
Howling Strike
Pressing Strike

Escalating Violence []
Shatterbone Strike []
Howl of Triumph []
Shrug it off [x]
Heroic Effort []
Second Wind []

Swift Panther Rage [x]

Conditions:

Action Surge: +3 bonus to attack rolls made during an action gained by spending an action point.

Horned Helm: +1d6 to charge damage

Battlecrazed Weapon: +1d6 damage when bloodied

Feral Might(Thaneborn Triumph): Whenever you bloody an enemy, the next attack by you or an ally against that enemy gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier(+2).[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads