Against the Giants 5e PBP (Full)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Ah, okay. I saw that checks were being made with advantage, but it was unclear to me why that was happening. I thought they had a climber's kit or something.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ah, okay. I saw that checks were being made with advantage, but it was unclear to me why that was happening. I thought they had a climber's kit or something.
I considered it the relevant part of a climbers kit for the task. Foot crampons would help too, and a harness, but close enough in this case.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Exploration is the most difficult Pillar in PBP. First of all, it takes forever to do the usual table-talk discussion on "where do you want to go" or "what is the plan" - to facilitate this, everyone needs to be slightly less opinionated than they might normally be (go with the first or second plan) but then there's the danger of too little discussion, if the first plan has flaws. Finding a balance is tricky.

On the other hand, I find PBP nice that I can research and spend time thinking of a good description for things, which I don't get in IRL games, so exploration benefits from that. (Though not as much as social interaction, which I think does quite well in PBP - I enjoy writing dialogue.)

Combat is neither here-nor-there. It works fine, with a few hiccups (reactions and complicated spells or abilities can cause a bit of trouble). Initiative is a pain, which is why I chose to just leave it out.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@FitzTheRuke PbP etiquette question: When a scout sees something and has a way to communicate that back to the rest, should we wait on the a post from the player of the scout to know what was told us, or should we assume it's been communicated and post to keep things moving.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@FitzTheRuke PbP etiquette question: When a scout sees something and has a way to communicate that back to the rest, should we wait on the a post from the player of the scout to know what was told us, or should we assume it's been communicated and post to keep things moving.

I would assume that it's communicated unless a player wants to opt-out on that. Also, I really don't expect players to post what they tell you beyond something like "Jack filled everyone in" - however, that post doesn't necessarily have to come in order with posts of others giving their opinion on the information, if that makes sense. If you think Jack's certainly going to report, you could post "When Jack gave his report, Eoghan suggested..."

In general, it's best in PBP to play it as a "Yes, and..." or "Yes, but..." to everyone's posts, by "tweaking" the scene if you don't entirely agree with a previous post, but not outright denying it (as often as possible,, if that makes sense.)

The main thing is, we can't always wait around for someone else when we have a moment to post, so we should just go ahead and everyone should play nice with each other. If conflicts arise, we'll work it out.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Speaking for myself, it’s safe to assume that Jack is relaying everything he sees.

Remove ads