airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (IC)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Never one to pass up an opportunity to flirt, Vandalin flashes his best smile makes a bow from his seat. "Indeed, I would not mistreat a woman, especially one so worthy and lovely as you. I hope you'll assure Miss Kaijitsu that my intentions are honorable should she catch me mooning over you."
Felsi comments no further, but winks slyly at Vandalin as she leaves to go check on the stew.
"Vandlin", offering up his name to the mistress of the tavern. "I would like to seek a private room for a week at least. I gather from the way you handled that lout the 'late troubles' do not reach so far as this hall?" He lets his words hand in the air an opportunity for her to comment on the troubles open.
A slightly disheartened look falls upon the owner's face as she hears Vandalin's last words. "I'll make arrangements for a private room so long as your coin is good. As for the 'Late Unpleasantness,' let's just say it was a dark chapter in this town's past and I'd prefer not to discuss it further."

As you had heard, this woman seems no exception to the tale that folks in Sandpoint don't like to talk about the Late Unpleasantness, but perhaps with some honeyed words, she might be persuaded to give you more of the details.
OOC: A private room requires paying at least the Average cost of living. Those paying Poor cost of living (the default) will be required to sleep in the common room. You may upgrade at any time. I believe I mentioned this in the OOC thread, but it would be helpful to me (and for you as well) if you note your cost of living somewhere on your character sheet. To keep it unified, I think the bottom right corner in your inventory would be the ideal location.

If you wish to ask the innkeeper for more details, it will require a Diplomacy check, see below. If anyone succeeds at the Diplomacy check, everyone is welcome to view the results corresponding to the highest DC. You may choose to aid another on this check. Since this is PBP and you don't exactly have the opportunity to discuss who will be aiding and who will be making the primary check, you may decide retroactively to aid if you receive a check result of 10 or higher but not high enough to succeed. After the first success, all following Diplomacy checks should be considered aid checks, which may improve the success to the next tier (if it hasn't already been reached), unless you specifically indicate you wish to make your own Diplomacy check.
[sblock=Persuade the innkeeper to discuss the "Late Unpleasantness" in general terms. Diplomacy DC 19]Although she is a bit hesitant to discuss it, the innkeeper tells you a bit about her experiences. "It happened quite shockingly. A few years ago an eccentric man named Jervis Stoot, a carver by trade with an odd fetish for birds, decided he was going to build his home in the island to the northwest of town. He had already somewhat endeared himself to the town by carving elegant birds into their homes and businesses free of charge. So much so it became something of an honor to "sport a Stoot" on your residence or place of business, so the carpenters of the town offered to build him a staircase to ascend to the top of the rocky island safely. But then some twenty or so people were murdered all in the span of a month. The last victim was the old sheriff, and Stoot's blood led right up to his home on the island where the guard found him making vile sacrifices with pieces of his victims. Stoot was killed by the guards and his ashes consecrated on the beach before being cast to sea. They also collapsed his home and destroyed the staircase." She shudders a bit before continuing. "Shortly after that the old Sandpoint Chapel was burned to the ground. I forget if it was a few weeks or a few months. Anyway, the fire was so great it consumed a number of nearby buildings before the townsfolk got it under control. No one knows how it started, but it was suspicious timing. The previous high priest, Ezakien Tobyn, was killed in the fire along with his daughter Nualia. It was a very sad time. We've tried to move past it since then. No one likes to talk about it."[sblock=Press the innkeeper for further information about the "Late Unpleasantness." Diplomacy DC 24]"I can see you really are persistant to know more. The guards don't talk much about it, but Stoot was dismembering the bodies. Each was found in the same terrible state: body bearing deep cuts to the neck and torso, hands and feet severed and stacked nearby, and the eyes and tongue missing entirely, having been plucked crudely from each head. Folks came to calling the murderer Chopper. When the guards broke into Stoot's house, they found an altar dedicated to some vile demon lord of winged creatures and temptation; I dare not say his name.

"Some of the people whisper that the burning of the old Sandpoint Chapel was no accident. Father Ezakien had adopted his daughter Nualia, and some said after the burning that it was a bad omen, that the girl was cursed in some way. Personally, I always thought she was quite a beautiful child, almost unearthly in fact, and to be honest, I was a little bit jealous. Other children of the town weren't always so nice to her. And the more superstitious folk thought she had been blessed by Desna with kind of reverse deformity. I think the girl was terrorized after a fashion. Rumors spread that her touch or proximity could cure warts and rashes, that locks of her hair brewed into tea could increase fertility, and that her voice could drive out evil spirits. It led to a succession of awkward and humiliating requests over the years. I enjoy attention, but I certainly wouldn't want people fawning over me quite like that. I think she was troubled as a result. But after the fire, some people started to say more than that. They suggested she had caused the fire, that she was actually an abomination to the gods, that her short life was a blessing upon this town which was abused and that the gods had taken her away and burned the chapel as punishment. I'm not all that religious, nor do I think the gods act in so obvious a fashion. But there are a fair number of people in this town who do."
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
"The women here are strong and feisty. I like that." Duko says "I've never seen a theater. Let's check it out. The closest thing back home was watching a brawl.

Oh, a private room, please."

[sblock=diplomacy]10 to gather info[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

"I'll stay in the commons for now, m'lady. I don't think I'd sleep very well in the quiet of a private room, especially with this talk of the Unpleasantness. Thoughts of those poor murdered souls will haunt my dreams, I think."

The monk falls silent for a moment as he realizes the tactlessness of his remark, especially in the face of their hostess' request that the topic be dropped. "Um, erm, sorry Mistress. My time in the monastery didn't do wonders for my tact."
[/section]

[sblock=OOC]Sorry, guys - got a terrible roll for my Diplomacy Aid Another (1d20=3) check.

Also, though Marcas is choosing the common room I'm going to upgrade to Average Cost of Living after all. I've made a notation below my sheet - I'll add it to the character sheet and it'll be in the right place the next time I update the sheet.

Finally, is anyone already using DarkOrange for their speech color? The green I was using was hard for me to see, and I like this one much better.[/sblock]
AC: 14 (14 Touch, 11 Flat-Footed)
HP: 09/09
Senses: Perception +7
CMB: +02 CMD: 16
Fort: +03 Reflex: +05 Will: +04
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
The Grocer’s Hall of Sandpoint was just down the street from the Rusty Dragon, and Talashia went straight there, barely even looking at the rest of the town on the way. There were a few people inside she didn’t immediately recognize, but farther in the back, instructing some porters as they brought in a barrel of something, was Vera Edwidge, the owner’s wife and the one who really kept everything running.

“No, set it over there, by the others. And leave room, we should be getting at least two more before the Festival…”

Talashia hurried up to her and cleared her throat. As the porters set the barrel down with a heavy THUNK, Vera turned around to peer at her severely through her spectacles. Her hair had greyed significantly since Talashia had seen her last, nearly five years ago…but her face was still relatively unlined.

“Can I help you with…” Vera frowned for a moment, then suddenly brightened. “Talashia? Little Talashia? I didn’t know you were back in town!” Almost immediately though she picked up on Talashia’s expression and tension. “What’s the matter?”

“My parents,” she said, while dread nearly choked her from inside her throat. “I…heard about the troubles in town after I left. I just got in. Can you tell me if…if they…?”

Vera was friendly in a polite, distant sort of way most of the time. She kept a strict wall of propriety between herself, her workers, and her customers. But now she went to Talashia and gathered her into a hug…the Late Unpleasantness was a tragedy all Sandpointers shared, even if they hadn’t been there to see it.

“They’re fine,” Vera said softly. “It all happened before the harvests were in, so they were out on the farm. They didn’t even know anything was wrong until your father saw the smoke from the church and came into town to see if he could help.

Talashia sagged in relief and gasped in a single hitching breath that would have been a sob had it lasted any longer. Then she gently disengaged from Vera’s embrace and gave the proprietoress a grateful, relieved smile. “Thank you.”

Vera returned the smile, then gestured to the large collection of inventory that was still being unloaded in the grounds behind her. “You know, I’m expecting them to bring some goods in sometime today, if you want to stay here and meet them. I’m afraid if you head out to the farm, you might crisscross on the road and miss each other.”

“They’ll be here for the Festival, right?” asked Talashia after a moment of consideration. Now that she knew they were all right, the urge to run to their door and burst in was greatly reduced.

Now Vera was grinning, and that was a rare sight indeed. “Oh, I expect everyone will be here for that. Even folks from Seaver’s Crest and Wayside are coming out for it. Have you seen the new cathedral yet?”

Talashia shook her head. “I came straight here. I had to know. The, uh, the town seems like it’s done well for itself. I mean, overall.”

“Well,” replied Vera with a little hometown pride shining in her cheeks, “It’s not Magnimar, but it’s good enough for us country folk.

A new voice barked out from behind Talashia, “Not good enough for you though, eh, girl?”

She turned to see a large, barrel-chested man. Dark haired and swarthy, with a thick mustache but no beard. He glared at her and folded his arms. “Murder any dogs while you were on vacation?”

"Regrettably,” Talashia returned in an icy tone, “I didn’t have occasion to. But if you have any more ill-tempered, badly trained curs who feel like trying to attack me unprovoked in a field, I’d be happy to relieve you of them.”

The man’s fists clenched. “Those wizards taught you to talk fancy, but they can’t change what you are. You should go back to Magnimar. You’re nothing but trouble, and we’ve had more’n enough of that.”

“Rogar!” Vera said sharply, cutting her way into the confrontation. “That is more than enough. I don’t care what kind of bad blood is between you, but this is my store, and I won’t have you two quarreling and driving business away. Now what can I do for you?

The thick-armed rancher maintained his glare and Talashia returned it, neither willing to back down for a moment. Then Rogar looked at Vera. “Feed. Got word my feed was in.”

Talashia gave Vera a nod and started out, but Rogar turned to follow her as she passed and said, “My eyes’ on you, girl. Your fancy talk and city clothes don’t fool me. I know what you are, and I am watching you.

She paused, and her own fists clenched as she groped at her exercises…the little mental cantrips to control the rage that constantly battered her within. Unable to think of a good comeback, she finally just stalked out, hoping that he HAD brought a dog and tethered it outside.

Alas.

After a moment’s inner debate, she decided to head to the Dragon. The Festival was so soon, and the farm a ways off…she would see them at the big event, when she was rested and fed and in a good mood. It would be better that way.

So it was that at the Rusty Dragon the door opened, and the striking, white-haired sorceress entered and looked around for her roadside companions to see if they were still in the common room.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Diplomacy aid another (1d20+1=12) Will make a proper post later today. Pressed for time.
OOC: This counts as an aid, which, along with kinem's aid, adds to rangerjohn's 16 for a total of 20. I'll repost Miss Kaijitsu's response below for those who haven't opened the sblock already. But there is still one more embed. If you can rack up 2 more aid checks or someone can independently roll a 24, you can unlock the second DC.

Although she is a bit hesitant to discuss it, the innkeeper tells you a bit about her experiences. "It happened quite shockingly. A few years ago an eccentric man named Jervis Stoot, a carver by trade with an odd fetish for birds, decided he was going to build his home in the island to the northwest of town. He had already somewhat endeared himself to the town by carving elegant birds into their homes and businesses free of charge. So much so it became something of an honor to "sport a Stoot" on your residence or place of business, so the carpenters of the town offered to build him a staircase to ascend to the top of the rocky island safely. But then some twenty or so people were murdered all in the span of a month. The last victim was the old sheriff, and Stoot's blood led right up to his home on the island where the guard found him making vile sacrifices with pieces of his victims. Stoot was killed by the guards and his ashes consecrated on the beach before being cast to sea. They also collapsed his home and destroyed the staircase." She shudders a bit before continuing. "Shortly after that the old Sandpoint Chapel was burned to the ground. I forget if it was a few weeks or a few months. Anyway, the fire was so great it consumed a number of nearby buildings before the townsfolk got it under control. No one knows how it started, but it was suspicious timing. The previous high priest, Ezakien Tobyn, was killed in the fire along with his daughter Nualia. It was a very sad time. We've tried to move past it since then. No one likes to talk about it."
The Grocer’s Hall of Sandpoint was just down the street from the Rusty Dragon, and Talashia went straight there, barely even looking at the rest of the town on the way...
...So it was that at the Rusty Dragon the door opened, and the striking, white-haired sorceress entered and looked around for her roadside companions to see if they were still in the common room.
OOC: Bravo! For your contribution to Sandpoint's backstory, I award Talashia 1 Hero Point! As a side note, I haven't gotten around to detailing all the buildings in Sandpoint in the OP wiki, but the Grocer's Hall is more an open market for farmers, where many farmers have their own booths. Their transactions are governed by the rules of the Grocer's Guild, which is run by a halfling named Olmur Danvakus. So let us assume that Vera and Rogar run a farmer's stall in the Grocer's Hall.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Thanks! I will make little edits later to reflect that change, but Rogar is not Vera's husband. He's a landowner out in the rural area; a 'neighbor' of Talashia's folks. There's been ongoing land disputes between them for some time, as he wants more space for pasturage, and Tala's dad would like more field space and just for some area between Rogar's cows and his crops. The incident Rogar was referring to was the time when Tala's magic was awakened, when...depending on whom you believe...she was trespassing on his property and the dogs tried to chase her off, whereupon she murdered them with vile magic; or she was lazing in the fields and the dogs, set to patrol Rogar's property but being aggressive in temperament and badly trained, set upon her. Whereupon she murdered them with vile magic. :))

airwalkrr

Adventurer
(OOC - Thanks! I will make little edits later to reflect that change, but Rogar is not Vera's husband. He's a landowner out in the rural area; a 'neighbor' of Talashia's folks. There's been ongoing land disputes between them for some time, as he wants more space for pasturage, and Tala's dad would like more field space and just for some area between Rogar's cows and his crops. The incident Rogar was referring to was the time when Tala's magic was awakened, when...depending on whom you believe...she was trespassing on his property and the dogs tried to chase her off, whereupon she murdered them with vile magic; or she was lazing in the fields and the dogs, set to patrol Rogar's property but being aggressive in temperament and badly trained, set upon her. Whereupon she murdered them with vile magic. :))
OOC: All sounds good to me!

Scotley

Hero
Vandalin leans in with an open stance and listens carefully to Kaijitsu's tale. "A sinister tale to be sure. Such a betrayal is hard to take. After the citizens had praised his work and put their labor into this home and staircase to be repaid thus, shocking." He shakes his head. "One thing I don't understand though. If he was slain, his ashes spread and his place of dark sacrifice destroyed, why would people think he was somehow related to the destruction of the temple?"

OOC: [sblock] Diplomacy check Aid Another (1d20+1=18) I'm assuming you intended to say 'suspicious' rather than 'auspicious' timing. [/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases