airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (IC)

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia is quiet during the farewells as she grapples with the news. She bids a shellshocked farewell to the paladin, but her nod of acknowledgement to Aldus is distracted...perfunctory.

Her 'good night' isn't much more than a mumble, and then she's on her way upstairs to her room.

kinem

Adventurer
"Good night everyone, and good luck to you, Sinkitah" Duko says, stretching his arms up as he stands. He grabs his axe and heads upstairs.

In his room, he calls his companion to his side. The red cat-like creature appears on the floor next to his bed. "Lax, looks like we'll have our work cut out for us. Goblins too, maybe. Good night, bud." As Duko sleeps, the creature relaxes, laying down, yet alert for signs of trouble.

Scotley

Hero
"A pleasant rest to you all then, for it seems we may have little enough of that in Sandpoint." He raises his mug and offers up a toast. "My condolences for those who have been lost and Desna's blessing on our enterprise." He drains the remains of his drink and makes his way to bed.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The very next morning, Foxglove's barking can be heard loudly before you even awake. His voice breaks the dark before dawn, and you can tell the teamsters are already hitching their wagons and preparing to move. Many of the mercenaries are moving more slowly, having drunk their fair share of spirits the night before. However, a few fastidious ones have beaten you to the caravan and are standing ready to march, among them, the dark-skinned woman, Sinkitah. She is mounted atop a horse and fully armored, helmed with a lavender-plumed hounskull, visor raised. The more lecherous mercenaries who had picked on Danya the night before are among the last to don their armor and make their way to the caravan. Foxglove chastises them brutally for their tardiness, calling them louts and drunks, and even going so far as to order one to dunk his head in the horse trough before beginning down the road. When the mercenary refuses blearily, Foxglove orders two of his personal guard to oblige the man, and he ends up soaked down to his lower torso. The drunkard coughs and spurts afterwards, and many of the more lazy men quickly sober up.

You make good time along the road, clear skies and no barriers block your way, save a single tree which has fallen yet is quickly moved aside by teamsters and their porters. As you near the town of Sandpoint, the footprint of civilization upon the Lost Coast grows more clear. Farmlands in the outlying moors and river valleys grow more numerous, and the blue-green waters of the Varisian Gulf bear more and more fishing vessels upon the waves. Passage over creeks and rivers is more often accomplished by wooden bridge than ford, and the Lost Coast Road itself grows wider and better­ kept.

By the early part of the second day out from the Rushing Boar, you find yourself in the rocky tors on the outskirts of Sandpoint. The town is invisible from the road, but Foxglove insists you are very close, and those among you who have lived in Sandpoint recognize many familiar landmarks. A few hours after dawn, Foxglove calls for the final halt. "Across that next hill is Sandpoint, men and women," he addresses the caravan as the horses are watered and everyone stops for a quick bite and swig from their waterskins. "We will be upon the town in an hour. You'll receive your pay once we are inside the gates and the cargo is unloaded. I thank you all for your contribution to yet another successful journey. I know the going has been a little slow, especially with the breaking of so many wagon wheels early along the way, but those of you who have persevered and not slowed us down will be rewarded. I've already instructed Paymaster Passang thusly. I hope you all enjoy the Swallowtail Festival, may Desna bless us all!"

With that, a general cheer arises from the caravan teamsters, porters, and guards. The last leg of your journey is almost complete.

After the final halt, you come across the large upthrust limestone pavements known as the Devil's Platter and the arc of the rocky outcroppings and lightly forested hilltops that rise up just east of town, and as promised, as the final bend in the road is rounded, Sandpoint's smoking chimneys and bustling streets greet your caravan with open arms and the promise of warm beds, a welcome sight indeed after having spent the last few days on the Lost Coast Road.

In under an hour, you find yourself inside the gates of Sandpoint. The porters begin unloading their goods at a nearby warehouse while other wagons make their way to taverns, inns, and shops, all carrying supplies for the coming festival. The half-orc paymaster, Passang gives each of you a single gold coin as a bonus for your fastidiousness along the road. You are now free to wander the town, see its sights, and enjoy the festival mood which is already buzzing around the townsfolk. It is the 20th of Rova. The festival is two days away, yet all around you folks are wishing you blessings of Desna, draping you with wreaths of mache' butterflies, and acting sincerely cheerful. It is as if the Late Unpleasantness about which you heard is completely forgotten to them.

One of your first sights upon crossing the Sandpoint Bridge and entering the gates is the Rusty Dragon. This large structure is Sandpoint's oldest inn, notable for the impressive (and quite rusty) iron dragon that looms on the building's roof, doubling as a lightning rod and decoration. You also note that nearby are the Goblin Squash Stables, the sign above it's door perpetuating the greatest fears of the lowly goblin-being trampled underfoot by a horse, the Two Knight Brewery, from which delicious smells of mead, ale and rum greet your senses, the Sandpoint Boutique, a shop selling all manner of clothing, weapons, toys, artwork, books, and tools imported from throughout the world, and the Feathered Serpent, a cramped and cluttered shop smelling of a strange mixture of incense, spice, and dust.

OOC: We have now moved to Sandpoint for future encounters from this point onward, as there was nothing of interest happening between the Rushing Boar Inn and Sandpoint. For the next two days in-character, I encourage you all to explore the town of Sandpoint, meet the local NPCs, get familiar with the town's locales, and generally familiarize yourself with the place. This is an open-ended sandbox style roleplay at this point. The purpose is for you, the players, and your characters, to get to know the town which will be a centerpiece of the campaign. You will note I have updated the wiki with a map and key for the town of Sandpoint. I have provided brief hooks for what I consider to be the most important locations for adventurers. Refer to the map and check out the locations of interest to your character.

I would prefer we run this without your characters splitting up, as experience has taught me that PBP can be difficult for everyone to know what is going on when the group is divided and at separate locations. If you like, I can open up separate threads for individual actions you would prefer to do solo, but I would much prefer to keep as much of the interaction here in this thread. So I offer this as an option only if you are starting to feel bored following other characters around. Please don't be shy. I want to keep everyone interested in what is going on.

Consider your daily wages for travel along the road spent on incidentals and part of your upkeep. However, the gold piece bonus coin is yours to keep and may be added to your inventory.

[MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION], would you mind switching to a different, brighter or paler color with more contrast against the dark background of the Legacy style I use to view EN World? My eyes have difficulty seeing what Vandalin is saying.

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
Duko takes Passang aside to speak privately with him for a moment.

[sblock=airwalkrr]"So, there aren't many of us in this town, are there? How is our kind treated here? And, is there anywhere in town where half-orcs tend to hang out? Thanks."[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The large barbarian laughs uproariously at the sight of the wet mercenary, wholly approving of employers manner of dealing with him. He had arisen before the sun and gone outside, as was his custom, and waited patiently for the sun to creep above the horizon and lighten the sky. He had performed this ritual every morning while traveling with the caravan. When one of the nightwatch had asked him what he was doing, he replied that someone must watch to "Make sure it comes up."
As the entertainment ends and the caravan moves out Vhir takes up a position near the front of the line. His sure, long strides eat up the miles between them and the town of Sandpoint. After the stories from last night he is both eager to see the festival but also unsure he wants to enter a cursed town. Finally, over the top of the last rise he spots the destination. The first thing he notices is the vast gulf of water sparkling in the sunlight. This was the first time he had been this close to the ocean, coming from a landlocked tribe in the hills near the mountains. The sight is so breathtaking he nearly misses the small town nestled at the edge. It looks quite large from here, reminding him of a meeting of the Quah's when his tribes gather in one place. While he stares he is nearly trod on by a horse pulling a cart and has to quickly hop aside.

Inside the gates he looks around eagerly at all the strange people and the buildings. He accepts his coin and tosses it in one meaty fist. Where to go first when there was so much to see? His road parched mouth helped make up his mind for him. "Ale and mead!" he roars to his companions. "I have a mighty thirst and dust to clear from my throat. Talashia knows the way, let us go and toast our good fortune!"

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia, having paused inside the gates to look around and fit the town to her hazy memories, looks at Vhir quizzically, then waves a hand towards the Rusty Dragon.

"There, the building with the dragon on top. You can't miss it. I have some things I need to do before I toast anything though. If you're still there when I'm done, then we can see about that."

She hesitated then, but only for a moment. Ameiko would be at the Dragon, but she doubted the noble-born would recognize her...they hadn't even been playmates when younger, really. And Ameiko might know about her parents, but would probably not. Just another pair of farmers. There were no shortage of them out in the fields, and nothing remarkable to set her parents aside. No, but the general store. Her father went there regularly...or the blacksmith. Yes, that would be fine. The store first.

Having got her bearings, Talashia headed off into town at a brisk walk that was not far from a jog. Had it not been for the fear at the answer she'd get, perhaps it would have been a run.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Vhir has a companion in the predawn, after all Serenrae is goddess of the sun, this is when Deivon gives his devotions. Deivon shakes his head at the drunk. Drinking is one thing not holding your liquor is another. But then he remembers the direction of Serenrae, "come now there is no need to be as harsh as all that. Serenrae bids us to forgive." Turning to the guard, "You must be willing to change your ways however."

Deivon was also thinking of the Rusty Dragon, upon arriving at Sandpoint, but Talishia departure gives him pause. "Are you alright Talishia, do you really think we should break the company at this time?

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia pauses and gives Deivon a querying, confused look over her shoulder.

"I'm fine, Deivon. And the company isn't 'breaking.' I just have some things I need to do, and there's no need to haul the rest of you along to deal with my personal business."

She nods at the Rusty Dragon.

"I'll find you when I'm done. It shouldn't be overly long."

Remove ads