• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (IC)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Well met, Sinkitah." Duko extends a hand in greeting. "I don't know about Sandpoint, but I have heard rumors of giants being seen in places where they didn't used to go. Orc talk, you might say, and I admit that's not always reliable, but when I hear the same thing from different people, I tend to believe it. Something's stirring the giants up. New leader maybe; who knows? As for fighting giants, I'll be honest - when they came to Rogan, we fought them, and we lost. I lost many friends. Sandpoint's bigger though. More fighters, surround 'em, wear 'em down. If they do come I'll get my revenge or die trying." He shrugs, as if not much caring which.
"Yes, orc talk would call it I. Yet live in east of Sandpoint do giants. Come a day when giants come down from the hills may there. And need of heroes in that time will Sandpoint."
When the strangely accented voice speaks from the other table, the Monk turns to attend. He nods as she speaks. "A pleasure, Sinkitah. It sounds as though there'll be work for us in Sandpoint, sure enough."
"Enough work think I. Must be expunged this evil. Auspicious is timing, within so little time so many casualties. Though denied by of Sandpoint people, detect many lingering auras of evil did I. Yet charge mine is not Sandpoint, though help to offer did wish I. At time, track down what evil could I, offered I. Assisted in finding Stoot, known by then as Chopper, did I."

Talashia is silent, just gaping at the paladin and her news. The shock is naked on her face...unusual for someone who's tried to be so reserved so much of the time.

"Old Casp Avertin?!" she finally manages to blurt in disbelief. "Dead?! Nualia and her..." She seems to shrink a little in her chair...then a change takes hold, and she comes to her feet. The shock and devastation parting way before determination and growing anger.

"One man did not kill twenty five people," Talashia says firmly, her ice-blue eyes fixed on the paladin. "Do you know what happened? Were his accomplices caught? Killed? And..." even in her gathering fury a stab of fear sparked behind her eyes. "Do you know the names of anyone else who was killed?"
"Sad story, but true is it. Live there in town during Late Unpleasantness did I. Share in your commissary for loss of Sheriff Avertin do I. Was a follower of good law that man. Was last victim of Chopper, until discovered was true identity. And kill twenty-five did one man. Was truly Stoot, for beheld evidence with my own eyes did I. Found were no accomplices, nor any sign. After was done thorough investigation, burned to the ground was Stoot's house, collapsed was his basement. And known were other victims to I. Was one Marsha Delving. Another Orbin Colt, was old stablemaster he. Indeed were unfortunate times."

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia's face twists, and she falls forward a little, planting her palms on the tabletop. Sparks crackle between her splayed fingers and etch an outline of her hands in the surface of the wood before she yanks them off and stands up straight again. Her face smooths over into an expressionless mask, and her demeanor turns cold and hard.

"There are farmers," she says in a tightly controlled voice, "They live northeast of the town but often visit friends or trade in the market square. Trand Wittend and his wife Pella. What of them? And...there was a girl, Ameiko. She's foreign born. Are they..." her voice caught once, and she paused for a second to finish her sentence, "...are they all right?"

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"There are farmers," she says in a tightly controlled voice, "They live northeast of the town but often visit friends or trade in the market square. Gavin Samet and his wife Vida. What of them? And...and the innkeeper. Ameiko. She's foreign born. Are they..." her voice caught once, and she paused for a second to finish her sentence, "...are they all right?"
A look of dismay falls upon Sankitah's face at the mention of the farmers, "Know not farmers Samet I; as to their well-being cannot say I." However, at the mention of Ameiko, the paladin has better tidings. "But well and prosperous Ameiko is know I, though seems a disappointment to father is she. An adventurer became she, and owner of Rusty Dragon now is she."

rangerjohn

Explorer
Vandalin remains uncharacteristically silent as the Paladin tells her tale and the others respond. His tone is gruff and he fixes each of his companions with a firm gaze. "It sounds as if this little adventuring company is going to have a lot more work to do than we first envisioned. Is everyone still committed? I don't want anyone at my back who's gonna fold when the going gets tough."

Deivon responds,"If what Serenrae has shown me comes to pass, more than you can know. I cannot speak for others, but as for myself, I am fully committed to this course. While I cannot speak for others, you were all in the visions."
He adds with a smirk, "just so you know, it was not all bad. We have our joys coming as well."

kinem

Adventurer
"What exactly did you see in the visions?" Duko inquires. "As for me, I'm in. Not like I have a village to go back to anyway."

No one offered any sympathy for my recent losses. No doubt that is due to racism Duko thinks.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Marcas looks around at the others as they answer Vandalin's query, and nods himself. ”I'm in as well. I'm not from Sandpoint, but my family's traveled through often, and there's usually a cousin or two in town.”

So much loss in our small group. Duko lost his entire village to giants, and now Talashia's friends from Sandpoint have fallen prey to a murderer. Doubtless they can handle it; they don't seem like the sort to welcome sympathy.

He listens intently for Deivon's answer regarding his visions.​
[/section]
AC: 14 (14 Touch, 11 Flat-Footed)
HP: 09/09
Senses: Perception +7
CMB: +02 CMD: 16
Fort: +03 Reflex: +05 Will: +04
[/sblock]

rangerjohn

Explorer
Deivon replies,"Various scenes of the people gathered here, some fighting, some carousing, horrific sights all jumbled and chaotic. It only by our unique appearances that I am able to recognize them. They may come to pass or they may not. Nothing is solid with visions of the future. Mostly, I just know it is "right" us being here.

airwalkrr

Adventurer

The caravan master, Aldern Foxglove steps up from his table, which is surrounded by his guards and compatriots. "Alright then, people. The worst leg of our journey is over as the rest is downhill. For the next two days, possibly less if we are lucky and the weather is fair, travel should be much smoother. But don't be tempted to slacken your pace. I must have the caravan in Sandpoint within two days in order to have time to set up for the festival. If you fall behind, you'll be left to your own devices. I warn you bandits are scarce in these parts, but there's been a great deal of talk about goblins, wretched little creatures. If you spy one there are most certain half a dozen or more hidden nearby. You don't want to become a goblin's next meal. Their appetites are said to be voracious. It's time we all got to bed. Those of you with rooms should head up to them now. And those staying outside should head to your tents for some shut-eye. We start moving at the crack of dawn and I expect you all to be up and ready by then!"

Foxglove's tone is charming and friendly, but he leaves no hint of toleration of nonsense. It would be best to do as he says and be ready by dawnbreak.

Sankitah rises, collects her things and nods to your group, "A pleasure to speak with you was it. Wish you good fortune and happy hunting in Sandpoint do I. Must away to my horse attend I. Ndawa Ch'king, friends."

[sblock=Linguistics DC 15 or Polyglot language]"Ndawa Ch'king" is a Bonuwat phrase meaning "Blessed peace upon you." It is commonly used as a blessing to ward off evil, but also less commonly in the sealing of pacts.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

”Well, that's it for me my friends. I'm on first watch over the caravan tonight and need to go stand my shift. Sleep well and wake." Marcas rises and makes his way out to the caravan, where he stands his night watch before turning in to his bedroll a couple of hours later.​
[/section]
AC: 14 (14 Touch, 11 Flat-Footed)
HP: 09/09
Senses: Perception +7
CMB: +02 CMD: 16
Fort: +03 Reflex: +05 Will: +04
[/sblock]

Remove ads